PDA

View Full Version : After months Brownells cancelled my back ordered upper???

VaderSpade
05-18-2009, 8:05 AM
UPDATE Good news, My upper is on the way.

I have several uppers on back order from several sources. I considered Brownells to be the most reliable source.

I thought I was locked at a fair price. Now they tell me I will be the first notified when these come in.
Is this just their way of raising my price???

Months ago I also ordered 4 stripped uppers from Brownells; three have trickled in over the months. I tried to cancel the forth, but was told part of the ordered had been shipped, and I could not cancel???

Now that I know Brownells cannot be relied on, and the market (especially for uppers) has loosened up considerably, how can I cancel my back orders???

I have thousands of dollars on back order with Brownells, and I have seen everything I have on back order here on CalGuns. I’ve passed because I trusted Brownells. When ever I saw the exact thing I had on order listed here I had hope that orders were being filled, and I would be next. Not once has that happened.

If someone from Brownells is reading this P.M. me and I will give you my account # You will see what a good customer you are about to lose.

Plisk
05-18-2009, 8:08 AM
Have you tried calling them? Or just going back and forth with emails?

PolishMike
05-18-2009, 8:29 AM
I doubt if anyone from brownells is on here. You should try to contact them, not us, we cant help you.

VaderSpade
05-18-2009, 8:33 AM
Have you tried calling them? Or just going back and forth with emails?

I have called them in the past, but not to cancel a back order. Until they canceled on me I was willing to wait. I have built for black rifles while I've been waiting. Mostly with parts from CalGuns.

VaderSpade
05-18-2009, 8:37 AM
I doubt if anyone from brownells is on here. You should try to contact them, not us, we cant help you.

I was hoping someone with a similar experience could help with some good advice. Is this a way they raise prices??

If YOU can’t help DON’T post.

hawk1
05-18-2009, 8:43 AM
Did they charge you for all four of the uppers or just the three they shipped?
If only for the three, call Brownells up and tell them what you wrote here. If they give you no love, cancel everything with them. When they say you can't cancel a partial order, then politely remind them they can't charge a credit card that is no longer valid. Call your credit card company and tell them you lost your card and need a new one with a new number. Verify with the card company that uncharged existing orders will not be allowed to charged on the now defunct card number. :)

VaderSpade
05-18-2009, 9:13 AM
They only charge as they ship, and up until now I have been happy with them. I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water, but I would like to know that I'm not waiting for something I'm not going to get, as I pass up the same items here on CalGuns.

Good advice on the credit card. I did that when Classmates.com would not cancel my account. They somehow got the card (with a new number) to go through and told me they could cancel my account, but that this $55.00 charge could not be reversed. I told them just watch.
I got my money back.

fatass
05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
i heard somewhere that brownell's cancels back-orders after a certain date? They aren't allowed to keep your credit card on order forever or something?

VaderSpade
05-18-2009, 11:02 AM
I just got the idea to check Brownells web site to see if they dropped this upper they cancelled.

NOPE, it’s still listed as out of stock, BUT its listed $50.00 higher than when I ordered.

I ordered knowing it was out of stock so I could lock in the price! This order was in direct response to an e-mail from Brownells, stating that, manufactures are ramping up production, and that now was the time to get in line.

From their e-mail;
The good news about the condition of the marketplace is that some of the manufacturers are catching up to their backlog. While they are not really "current" in the sense we all think of, the backorder lists are starting to have some delivery dates in them. If you're concerned about the availability of AR-15 parts or 1911 parts or the other semi-automatic pistol parts, now is the time to get your order in and "get in line". It appears that the manufacturers have ramped up production - cautiously - and most, though not all, are performing better. None of us know when this "bubble" will burst or whether there may be a premature popping due to restrictive legislation which may or may not get into the pipeline. The trial balloon from the administration on the AR-15 ban went up in an interview within the last couple of days. Don't know if it got any traction yet or not.

In times like these, where our firearms industry is outperforming the economy, we all have to be wondering when we will slow down just like everybody around us has done. But slow down it will - sometime - which means now is the time to start laying the groundwork for the continued success of your business or your passion. We've got three really simple recommendations to get you ready for this slowdown when it happens

Be consistent with your service levels and pricing. Never let your attention to customer relationships drop no matter how large the workload on your bench. And review your pricing policies to make sure they reflect genuine customer service. In other words, never gouge your customers because a product is hard to get and you have some in stock. Believe me, they will always remember. And, frankly, they should

I just wish they would take their own advice!

VaderSpade
05-18-2009, 11:07 AM
i heard somewhere that brownell's cancels back-orders after a certain date? They aren't allowed to keep your credit card on order forever or something?

I was wondering if that were the case, until I saw the price increase. Also I have backorders older than this one.
They may have a timeline, but I donít think it applies in this case. If someone know for sure I would like to know, it would free up a lot of funds I have on hold.

munkeeboi
05-18-2009, 11:09 AM
I have several uppers on back order from several sources. I considered Brownells to be the most reliable source.

I thought I was locked at a fair price. Now they tell me I will be the first notified when these come in.
Is this just their way of raising my price???

Months ago I also ordered 4 stripped uppers from Brownells; three have trickled in over the months. I tried to cancel the forth, but was told part of the ordered had been shipped, and I could not cancel???

Now that I know Brownells cannot be relied on, and the market (especially for uppers) has loosened up considerably, how can I cancel my back orders???

I have thousands of dollars on back order with Brownells, and I have seen everything I have on back order here on CalGuns. I’ve passed because I trusted Brownells. When ever I saw the exact thing I had on order listed here I had hope that orders were being filled, and I would be next. Not once has that happened.

If someone from Brownells is reading this P.M. me and I will give you my account # You will see what a good customer you are about to lose.

i am confused on what you are trying to get at?

Are you trying to cancel your orders as I have put in bold in your OP

or

Are you mad that they are canceling your orders?

You seem to be both mad that they won't let you cancel and that they are now canceling your backorders.

Just trying to get some clarity so people can help you.

the way that i see it...they have no idea when stock comes in. If you locked it in a at a good price, you pay the price in wait times. If you need the upper now...I'd cancel and get it from whoever has it in stock.

If you want to cancel and they won't let you...the CC method seems like a good way to go around it. never done it, but it sounds creative

VaderSpade
05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
i am confused on what you are trying to get at?

Are you trying to cancel your orders as I have put in bold in your OP

or

Are you mad that they are canceling your orders?

You seem to be both mad that they won't let you cancel and that they are now canceling your backorders.

Just trying to get some clarity so people can help you.

the way that i see it...they have no idea when stock comes in. If you locked it in a at a good price, you pay the price in wait times.

When I ordered the stripped uppers I ordered different brands (all from Brownells) in the hope that at least some would come in, three did. I then re-ordered a forth upper in a brand that had delivered. After I received that order I decided to give up on the brand that did not deliver. More of an alternative than a cancelled order. But I could not. I have about 50 item back ordered with Brownells. I tried to cancel ONE, and then only after ordering and receiving an alternative.

I have paid the price in wait time, and now I'm being sent to the end of the line and told to pay a higher price.
Should I not be upset??

donbok1
05-18-2009, 7:31 PM
Cold War Shooters pulled off a similar tactic on me last year only they didn't cancel the order, they just charged an additional $50. I ordered two Noveske lowers in mid summer (around June) and felt like I had locked in the price as well. When they came in stock, they notified me and also said due to increased demand the price went up.? I understand the concept of supply and demand, but I was still disappointed in CWS for jacking me for $50 each. Just my .02

morphius
05-18-2009, 8:14 PM
Hold on folks.

I was on backorder for a LPK. After 3 months, Brownell's removed the backorder. I called Brownell's to inquire and they explained why the order as they couldn't hold my credit card number per their policy. But they ensured me that I was still on the priority list and will get the first batch that come in. When the LPKs came in 3 weeks later, I got an email to call Brownell's to so they can create a new order and take my credit card again. Since I paid for shipping for my original order, they shipped it without additional shipping charge. In total, I had 4 different deliveries for my order.

See if that's the same situation for the uppers. They would most likely honor the previous price too. Unless there are some other issues with the manufacturer unable to meet demand, which may force Brownell's to truly cancel the order. In that case, everyone loses.

Brownell's is a up-standing company.

VaderSpade
05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Hold on folks.

I was on backorder for a LPK. After 3 months, Brownell's removed the backorder.

This may well be policy, It has been three months, BUT.
Everybody knows there is a six-month or more wait for an upper. How realistic is a three-month policy, and why are other companies holding my card longer???
And as I said the price listed on their website just went up $50.00.
They need to rethink how they treat their best customers. Tell us up front, and give us the option to renew the hold on our card.

fusionstar
05-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Im still confused as to the problem. There is too much info in your post.

So you had stuff on backorder and one of them went up in price and they canceled your backorder?

I have made over 30 orders in 08 with brownells and Never had one problem. I have canceled backorders and have backorders that could not be fulfilled and canceled.

In this crazy market, I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturer jacked up the price and brownells in-turn had to trickle it down to the customer. Even the best stores do that. You have to keep a profit margin if you want to make any money, and thats what businesses do, they make money.

Just call brownells.

Hours
Orders: Open 7:30 am to 5 pm (U.S. CST) Monday - Friday
Tech: Open 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (U.S. CST) Monday - Friday

U.S. Phone Numbers
Ordering: 800-741-0015
Technical Support: 800-741-0015
Fax: 800-264-3068
General Office: 641-623-5401

Tell them

"I purchased an item on backorder for $xxxx.xx on (Insert Month/Day) and it was canceled on (Insert day/month) and now the price of the item has gone up $55. I assumed the price would be locked in and the item would be shipped to me as soon as it was in stock. Can you tell me why it was cancled, and if brownells can honor the original price of the order."

Simple.

If they cant honor the price. Just think about it this way. You just saved a load of money by not buying the item in the first place.

But I can assure you, brownells is about as legitimate as huge companies go.

They need to rethink how they treat their best customers.

if they think like that, everyone who just orders 20 dollars of stuff from them a year would be treated like crap if something were to come up.

Unless your orders contribute to over 10% of there net profit, I don't think your orders mean any more than the next guys.

VaderSpade
05-19-2009, 7:11 AM
WELL what do you know less than 24 hours after canceling my order the uppers are now IN stock.
I received an e-mail telling me to re-order. The e-mail does list the old price so we'll see. I'm re-ordering now.
They say their holding one for me, and the site shows their still out of stock, but if your looking for an upper you may want to keep an eye on these; http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=22586&st=231-000-201&s=46909

VaderSpade
05-19-2009, 7:26 AM
Well well well I just got off the phone; my upper is on the way, at the old price, with shipping paid.
Just a coincidence that I posted on CalGuns, and got what I wanted in less than 24 hours???
I think NOT.
Aww the power of the Internet. :):):)