PDA

View Full Version : troy 13.8 on a 14.7

superflyyy
05-18-2009, 3:09 AM
hey guys

i want to install a troy MRF 13.8 rail on my current CMMG upper; its 14.7 with the A2 FH welded on. the barrel currently has the micro gas block offered by CMMG.

on paper the dimensions look fine, but is there anything regarding the clearances that i am overlooking?

this is my first AR build and i would appreciate any and all help.

thanks in advance.

munkeeboi
05-18-2009, 8:36 AM
well, the issue I have to bring up is...what handguard is currently on the upper? With the welded FH, you won't be able to remove the gas block and barrel nut if you need to change out to the troy. If you already have a Troy MRF on there and you are simply changing the length of the rail, it would be possible. Don't have a troy so i'm not sure how it mounts, but removing anything with the welded FH may be a limit to what you can do.

superflyyy
05-18-2009, 11:43 AM
i have the regular 7in m4 handguards installed right now.

the description of the gas block on the website reads:
CMMG Micro Gas Block

Micro gas Block. Ultra compact gas block designed to be compatible with Daniel Defense, Midwest Industries, PRI, Troy and others. Perfect for mounting under the handguard. Available in .625, .750 and .937 diameters.

so i guess clearance with the gas block and the rail isn't the issue, but will the rail install on over the FH?

Jicko
05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
A couple of flaws I can see:

1) You would need to remove your muzzle device to install that CMMG micro gas block.... this can be done... NOT easily tho...

2) If you handled the Troy MRF-RX rail before? It has a "round" profile as compare to the "oval" profile of someone like Daniel Defense.... it is much wider and may feel less comfortable than an "oval" / narrower / thinner handguard....

3) This is a 16" barrel with a MRF-RX 13.8 HG:

http://images44.fotki.com/v1490/photos/6/26966/7387059/IMG_4014-vi.jpg

As you can see, there aren't much barrel outside of the handguard, so -1.3" (for your 14.7" barrel), your muzzle will basically be flush to the HG, if that is the look you are looking for, then fine.... (i think it would look nice with a Noveske pig)

4) The MRF-RX weight more than the DD M4 or lite or omega rail....

5) Personally, I think your best bet is a 12" DD omega, you don't have to mess with removing and re-installing your barrel. (hmm.... do you have a M4 FF handguard on yours? if that's the case, then ignore #5... since you would have to take it off anyways... I would still vote for 12" DD M4 rail or DD lite rail tho)

Lastly, I think if you can't get over issue 1 of the above... you may not be able to achieve the look you want...

PLEASE let me know how you get over it, since I looked and looked and still couldn't figure out how(and what) I can replace the fixed A-front sight with a micro gas block. (now, if anyone else know....)

HavaJava
05-18-2009, 12:02 PM

munkeeboi
05-18-2009, 12:20 PM
I was reading more about the troy and how it uses the standard barrel nut. You would just have to dremel off the delta ring and front handguard retainer.

The Troy MRF is actually 2 pieces so sliding over the FH or gas block is not an issue. There is a top half and bottom half.

http://www.troyind.com/manuals/MRFManual.pdf

superflyyy
05-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I was reading more about the troy and how it uses the standard barrel nut. You would just have to dremel off the delta ring and front handguard retainer.

The Troy MRF is actually 2 pieces so sliding over the FH or gas block is not an issue. There is a top half and bottom half.

http://www.troyind.com/manuals/MRFManual.pdf

ah this is perfect. thanks munkee, and also to everyone else helping out.

every time i shoot i will think of calguns.

Addax
05-18-2009, 1:44 PM
Go with the DD Omega 12.0 rail if you still have the Dring, and you do not mind a 12" rail.

It is a true 2 piece free float rail that requires no modifications to install it with the standard AR Dring/barrel nut.

It is the easiest to install. vs. the Troy, and the Troy can be a biatch to align, their mounting system is not the best.

The Troy is a great rail, I am just not a big fan of their mounting system vs. the DD Omega or Lite Rails.

It normally takes me about 5-10 minutes with a Daniel Defense Omega Rail, where with a Troy MRF (12, 13.8 etc.) it can take up to 20 minutes to get her to line up just right, then tighten down the mounting screws.

The Omega is a 2 piece free float rail system.

Check it out.. http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1072&idcategory=0

superflyyy
05-19-2009, 11:35 PM
to everyone that keeps recommending the daniel defense rail

this is taken straight off their website description for the 12" omega:

The Omega Rail 12.0™ is designed to work with rifle length AR15 gas systems. It is not to be used in conjunction with a low profile gas block or shorter length gas systems.

so does that mean that the DD is a no-go for a micro/lo pro GB?