PDA

View Full Version : LE Shooting in Inglewood today

Fire in the Hole
05-17-2009, 8:53 PM
May 17, 2009
Inglewood, CA

A man armed with a semiautomatic handgun was killed early Sunday in a shootout with police and one officer was wounded in the leg, authorities said.

Police were sent to a home in response to neighbors' complaints about people fighting, possibly at a party, said Lt. Mike McBride.

The police were confronted by a man with a handgun and three officers opened fire, including the one who was shot, McBride said. The victim was found with a semiautomatic handgun but it was unclear whether it had been fired, he said.

The wounded officer was hospitalized in stable condition.

Inglewood police and the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office were investigating.

Inglewood is a Los Angeles suburb.

Jonathan Doe
05-17-2009, 9:03 PM
I believe Inglewood PD is handling their own scene, otherwise they would have called me for CSI since I am on call. My dispatcher said she didn't get the request.

CavTrooper
05-17-2009, 9:19 PM
I believe Inglewood PD is handling their own scene, otherwise they would have called me for CSI since I am on call. My dispatcher said she didn't get the request.

Witness statements say that the man was unarmed and shot in the back according to chan 11 news.

SmokinMr2
05-17-2009, 9:37 PM
Witness statements say that the man was unarmed and shot in the back according to chan 11 news.

Did ya ever notice that witnesses "always" say that ? :rolleyes:

tyrist
05-17-2009, 9:38 PM

Those type of statements being untrue are not uncommon.

CaliTheKid
05-17-2009, 9:39 PM
Wittness was his girlfriend. :rolleyes: Officer was shot in the leg.

bluestaterebel
05-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Wittness was his girlfriend. :rolleyes: Officer was shot in the leg.

Suspects girlfriends make the best witnesses :rolleyes:

yzernie
05-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Good guys - 1
Bad guys -- 0

CavTrooper
05-18-2009, 5:15 AM
isn't Inglewood PD under federal investigation for multiple shooting of unarmed victims?

Ahh.... yes.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/13/local/me-inglewoodpolice13

The U.S. Department of Justice has launched an investigation into the Inglewood Police Department in the wake of several officer-involved shootings of unarmed suspects and other incidents in which the agency has been accused of using excessive force.

The probe marks the second ongoing investigation into the department, which was the focus of community protests last year when officers shot and killed four people -- three of them unarmed -- in the span of four months.

Since 2003, Inglewood police have shot and killed 11 people, five of them unarmed, according to law enforcement records reviewed by The Times.

Ron-Solo
05-18-2009, 7:49 AM
Strange how the "Unarmed Man" had a handgun.

Let the investigation be complete before rushing to judgement. Just because the department in under investigation, doesn't mean these guys are guilty until proven innocent.

People will say all kinds of things to the media, since no one is confronting them with facts that contradict what they are saying happened. I supervised a case once where the media interviews said one thing, then we proved those witnesses were not even there when the event actually happened. The damage by the media witnesses was already done in the community. Took a long time to rebuild the trust.

The truth will come out.

uzigalil
05-18-2009, 7:52 AM
I believe that the Officer shot was friendly fire.

trendar5
05-18-2009, 8:00 AM
Your source? It could be....but your source? The back very often becomes the backdrop when suspects turn their bodies. Not necessarily a problem.

ilbob
05-18-2009, 8:18 AM
Your source? It could be....but your source? The back very often becomes the backdrop when suspects turn their bodies. Not necessarily a problem.

[/sarcasm on]Thats right, because as a society we have decided it is OK for cops to shoot people in the back that are running away from them.[/sarcasm off]

The problem is not whether the shooting was "legal" or not. If the PD is investigating it themselves, it will be found to be legal. Thats just the way these things work. Even if they do a diligent and fair job of it, its still a case of them investigating themselves and no one seriously believes in such an investigation.

Jonathan Doe
05-18-2009, 9:48 AM
[/sarcasm on]Thats right, because as a society we have decided it is OK for cops to shoot people in the back that are running away from them.[/sarcasm off]

The problem is not whether the shooting was "legal" or not. If the PD is investigating it themselves, it will be found to be legal. Thats just the way these things work. Even if they do a diligent and fair job of it, its still a case of them investigating themselves and no one seriously believes in such an investigation.

I think you should reconsider your statement. You may not know how the department investigates the incidents especially when someone was hit. When DA's office, homicide bureau and IAB conduct investigation separately, I don't think there is a chance for a cover up. One of my old academy classmates was fired over a shootng a man armed with a knife in early 90's. I couldn't understand it, but that was how it was decided. He was a good cop.

r08ert209cali
05-19-2009, 7:16 AM
Strange how the "Unarmed Man" had a handgun.

Let the investigation be complete before rushing to judgement. Just because the department in under investigation, doesn't mean these guys are guilty until proven innocent.

People will say all kinds of things to the media, since no one is confronting them with facts that contradict what they are saying happened. I supervised a case once where the media interviews said one thing, then we proved those witnesses were not even there when the event actually happened. The damage by the media witnesses was already done in the community. Took a long time to rebuild the trust.

The truth will come out.

Media is totally useless in these events and most others for that matter.
as for if the truth comes out I doubt it.

yzernie
05-19-2009, 7:58 AM
Media is totally useless in these events and most others for that matter.
It is no secret I am not a fan of the media and your statement is very accurate. Sensationalism sells and the media does not concern themselves with the truth as long as they have "Breaking News".

The real problem, IMO, is people who believe everything they see on the news and refuse to think for themselves. Not sure how to stop that mentality but have learned to deal with it over the years. As long as I know what my deputies and I do/did is right then people can say whatever they want to. Flapping pie holes don't bother me any more.

trendar5
05-19-2009, 8:42 AM
I wonder if ilbob wouldn't mind if I give him a gun, and I'll run away from him, and I'm allowed to turn my torso or just trail my arm rearward as I flee and shoot, and shoot at him all day, but he is not allowed to shoot. Would that be fair? The back is a huge target. The entry angle comes into play. People like you are clinging to an oft-uttered phrase from cowboy movies: "You shot that man in the back." My answer would be "so what?" And I'd be alive.

Ron-Solo
05-19-2009, 2:27 PM

Let me see, if I see a suspect pointing a gun at someone other than myself and he's getting ready to fire, by your logic I should be required to wait until he faces my direction before I fire, thereby losing any tactical advantage I might have and allowing him unobstructed access to his intended victim until he turns my way. Unfortunately, he's probably gonna get shot in the back, that's just the way it is. He'll get a chance to give up, but sorry, I'm not going to wait and give him the chance to shoot anyone, civilian or fellow cop. That's the chance he takes when he points a gun at someone.

Well, they may work that way in Illinios, but not out here. We have investigated and prosecuted corruption within the department for years. LASD now has a unit dedicated to investigating allegations of criminal conduct by our personnel. When they find a dirty cop, they fire them and prosecute them. It is separate from our Internal Affairs Bureau, which handles policy violations.

Additionally, Los Angeles County has the Office of Independant Review, which can review the actions of any law enforcement agency.

Jwood562
05-19-2009, 3:41 PM
I love the witness who stated that after the shooting she lifted up the suspects shirt and she counted four bullet holes in the back. hahaha that killed me.

I have no problem shooting a guy in the back. people think it is so 'cliche' that someone is shot in the back.

if you could never shoot someone in the back then all bad guys would learn to either shoot over their should walking backwards

Jonathan Doe
05-19-2009, 4:28 PM
If the suspect poses a threat to anyone's life, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot to stop his aggression, whichever target is available, front, back or side.

Gator Monroe
05-19-2009, 7:26 PM
Are Lennox Sherrifs still the bad'est LEO's in So Cal followed closely by Culver City PD ?

bluestaterebel
05-19-2009, 7:48 PM
Are Lennox Sherrifs still the bad'est LEO's in So Cal followed closely by Culver City PD ?

What are you talking about? Lennox maybe, Culver City? are you serious? no offense to the CCPD, But it you want bad'est, try working South Central Los Angeles

Gator Monroe
05-19-2009, 8:02 PM
Those guys (South LA) HAVE THE MOST SENSITIVITY TRAINING IMMAGINABLE ................................................../:(

pieeater
05-19-2009, 8:05 PM
I bet he was a really great guy who was just turning his life around.

Midian
05-19-2009, 8:18 PM
Ever notice the media always states "semiautomatic handgun" to invoke images of machine guns, thus making them sound scary?

Gator Monroe
05-19-2009, 8:20 PM
I bet he was a really great guy who was just turning his life around.

Like Tookie !:(

bluestaterebel
05-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Those guys (South LA) HAVE THE MOST SENSITIVITY TRAINING IMMAGINABLE ................................................../:(

Thats true, but as Yoda would say...Handle business they do

trendar5
05-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I think Los Feliz is rough compared to the city I work in....Much respect to anybody working in L.A. County...anywhere.

Peter W Bush
05-20-2009, 7:30 PM
Like Tookie !:(

aaaaaaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha