PDA

View Full Version : California gun law AB1471 Jan. 1st 2010

joe11
05-17-2009, 9:05 PM
This law goes into effect on Jan. 1st 2010. All semiautomatic pistols must imprint some form of the unique ID of the gun to the back of the primer or brass when the gun is fired. Revolvers are exempt. Other than the Glock pistols what other guns can do this? Will most of the manufacturers just stop selling in California? This will be for only new firearms sells. What are you going to do?

ke6guj
05-17-2009, 9:13 PM
What do you mean, Glocks do microstamping?

anyways, the microstamping law will not be going into effect anytime soon since the language of the law requires the technology to be unemcumbered by patents, and available to manufacturers. Currently, the technology is not available unencumbered, so the microstamping law will not go into effect on 1-1-10.

12126(b)(7) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 12131, it is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired, provided that the Department of Justice certifies that the technology used to create the imprint is available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions. The Attorney General may also approve a method of equal or greater reliability and effectiveness in identifying the specific serial number of a firearm from spent cartridge casings discharged by that firearm than that which is set forth in this paragraph, to be thereafter required as otherwise set forth by this paragraph where the Attorney General certifies that this new method is also unencumbered by any patent restrictions. Approval by the Attorney General shall include notice of that fact via regulations adopted by the Attorney General for purposes of implementing that method for purposes of this paragraph. The microscopic array of characters required by this section shall not be considered the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice, within the meaning of Sections 12090 and 12094.

CSDGuy
05-17-2009, 9:14 PM
First, use the search button. This has been hashed out many times here. This dead horse is VERY well beaten now. That part of the law is encumbered by patent restrictions. The law can't take effect until those patent encumbrances are gone. So, for now, what we have right now will be in effect until one of two things happen.

The "Not Unsafe" list is declared unconstitutional and is struck down
The patent(s) are killed, allowing the technique/technology to be used by anyone.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Oh, and Glocks do NOT do microstamping unless by some miracle they paid the inventors much $$$ for being allowed to use the microstamping technology...

Geo
05-17-2009, 9:19 PM
joe11 = FUDrucker

Quiet
05-17-2009, 9:41 PM
In regards to Glock and microstamping.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8IcO1ehweFs/RxLcnKJ8iwI/AAAAAAAABfY/5UDu5V_DEaM/s1600-h/Glock-Microstamping.jpg

mossy
05-17-2009, 10:30 PM
do not run from the search button, it is your friend

thmpr
05-17-2009, 10:32 PM
First post.............:rolleyes:

MP301
05-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey, we were new once too! Give the guy a break and be nice...or it could turn off new members...New members help the with education of the masses and furthers our cause...

And BTW, the search here kinda sucks so use google in your search....

oops
05-17-2009, 11:17 PM
easy guys.... calguns is becoming a very negative place for new members... he has ONE post.... get a life outside of your computer screen if you don't want to be bothered with repeat information....

joe11 welcome to calguns and don't worry, the sky isn't falling

KWA-S
05-17-2009, 11:17 PM
AB1427: Suddenly, Remington renewed their typewriter patents. :thumbsup:

tombinghamthegreat
05-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Hey, we were new once too! Give the guy a break and be nice...or it could turn off new members...New members help the with education of the masses and furthers our cause...

+1 that. I remember when i joined this forum and had little knowledge of the laws. Welcome joe11 and look though the forum to get an idea where the gun rights battle is going in CA.

Librarian
05-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Last 4 posters have the attitude we should encourage.

Let Joe get a few hundred posts in before we start slapping his info around :).

In the meantime, I just updated the Calguns Foundation Wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/The_Safe_Handgun_List)article to include a VERY tiny explanation of why 'microstamping' is not highly likely. (Essentially what ke6guj and CSDGuy said.)

Motivations for improvement come from everywhere - thanks, joe11.

obeygiant
05-18-2009, 12:02 AM

And BTW, the search here kinda sucks so use google in your search....

Welcome Joe11.

Calguns Search (http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=003012218780031495237%3Anuktdrl6sou) powered by google.

DisgruntledReaper
05-18-2009, 1:30 AM
Welcome Joe to Calguns!

BTW- my firearms already do micro stamping..they all print 'Pissss off you liberal commiie Basstrrds'- TRY engraving THAT on the head of a firing pin!-WHEW!!!-Just funning and joking with you:rofl::laugh:

xxdabroxx
05-18-2009, 9:12 AM
You sir are a brave man, making your first post in the 2A section.

Welcome to the boards, don't let them scare you off.

tiki
05-18-2009, 9:35 AM
I think Dillon should come up with reloading dies and a press that increments the serial number and information with each pull of the handle. :)

(If anyone files a patent on this, make sure to add me, its now prior art.)

Edit: Thats assuming the microstamping wont be on the firing pin. That would be too easy to remedy.

motorhead
05-18-2009, 10:14 AM
hey joe, where you goin with that gun in your hand? all is forgiven. people from other states are still pointing to this as evidence that the sky is falling. we live in troubled times. at least you came and asked if it was true before mass e-mailing it to everyone you know with a pulse.

Bugei
05-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I think Dillon should come up with reloading dies and a press that increments the serial number and information with each pull of the handle. :)

(If anyone files a patent on this, make sure to add me, its now prior art.)

Edit: Thats assuming the microstamping wont be on the firing pin. That would be too easy to remedy.

I want dies that will imprint a guy's name on the bullet when I reload it. That way, I could actually say "This bullet has yer name on it, pilgrim."