PDA

View Full Version : 80% 50 cal. receiver

RobK
02-10-2005, 7:47 AM
Anyone know of a source for 50 cal., 80% receivers ?
Something like Cobb mfg. or anyothers.

RobK
02-10-2005, 7:47 AM
Anyone know of a source for 50 cal., 80% receivers ?
Something like Cobb mfg. or anyothers.

02-10-2005, 8:04 AM
Why? It's to late to buy and then convert.

endings1@aol.com
02-10-2005, 9:30 AM
I'm sure he means a replacement for the completed to "CA legal" specs receiver he had before 12/31/04. That he planned on registering before the deadline.http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://www.tanneryshop.com/products.html

http://www.dsarms.com/catalog-list.cfm?Category=09&Subcat=Lowers%20%26%20Uppers&storeid=1

https://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_category.asp?CategoryID=29

DRH
02-10-2005, 9:32 AM
Firechief,
AB50 a recent ban on .50BMG caliber weapons passed into law last year. You would have had to possessed the 100% reciever or funtional weapon before 1/1/05 to be able to legally register the weapon and comply with the law. I am sorry to say you are two months too late.

Mike Searson
02-10-2005, 11:01 AM
firechief,

You can still buy a Ferret or Safety Harbor upper to put on your legally registered AR-15 that you have....it's totally cool to swap back and forth between weapons (223 to 50 bmg).

Sydwaiz
02-10-2005, 11:05 AM
This is for your friend who lives out of state, right? I mean, you don't have to worry since you had all of yours before the deadline even though you don't have to register it until April of next year.

bwiese
02-10-2005, 12:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 44 Canon:
What about having those 80% builds cerealised? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What good would serialization of 80 percenter do??

Bottom line: you can build your own receiver or gun - you just can't make it a 50BMG (or assault weapon).

Bill Wiese
San Jose

mechandy
02-11-2005, 7:16 AM
Woof ticket

Kestryll
02-11-2005, 9:35 AM
TAKE THE HINT

jared@barringtons.com
02-11-2005, 9:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bwiese:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 44 Canon:

What good would _serialization_ of 80 percenter do??

Bottom line: you can build your own receiver or gun - you just can't make it a 50BMG (or assault weapon).

Bill Wiese
San Jose <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to the DOJ, you CAN register an 80% build provided you have a cereal nomber put on it. The question is weather or not it has to be cerealised by december 31st, 2004, or if you can have it cerealised at a later date. If you can have it cerealised at a later date, that opens up all kinds of possabilities.

bwiese
02-11-2005, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bwiese:
What good would _serialization_ of 80 percenter do??

Bill Wiese
San Jose <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>44 Canon wrote:
According to the DOJ, you CAN register an 80% build provided you have a cereal nomber put on it. The question is weather or not it has to be cerealised by december 31st, 2004, or if you can have it cerealised at a later date. If you can have it cerealised at a later date, that opens up all kinds of possabilities. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Serialization (!!!) is kinda moot issue now. Whether or not it was a full-fledged 50BMG on/before 12/31/04 is the key thing.

If receiver legally existed on/before that date and is marked as a 50BMG that's fine. Add your 50BMG stuff later.

If it's a generic receiver (like a single-shot AR receiver from DPMS, or a FAB10 lower) that is not expressly marked 50BMG you really have to have had it exist as a 50BMG system to register it: if you had a receiver and put 50BMG hardware on it after this date, you've made an illegal 50BMG. (This works just like CA assault weapon law.)

[Do note that if the receiver was already registered as a CA AW, it does not need to be r-registered for 50BMG.]

Bill Wiese
San Jose

jared@barringtons.com
02-11-2005, 10:32 AM
So the bottom line, can a home built and unmarked receiver STILL be serialized and registered?

02-11-2005, 10:39 AM
You could probably get away with it but if they ever found out that you made it after 12/31/04, you could end up in jail.

Think about the consequences before you do something like this.

bwiese
02-11-2005, 12:00 PM
...bottom line, can a home built and unmarked receiver _STILL_ be serialized and registered? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. 50BMG cutoff date was 12/31/04.

You can still do a homebuilt receiver, just not 50BMG or assault weapon.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

endings1@aol.com
02-11-2005, 12:35 PM
*DISCLAIMER, FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSE ONLY*

All I'm saying is that it's legal to complete a 80% AR receiver so long as it's not a .50 BMG or CA AW as others have said already. It's legal to have a serial number on it, or no serial number, it's legal to not D.R.O.S. it.

In theory if you were in possesion of a 80% completed AR lower to CA specs before the 12/31/04, I don't see how anyone would know if somehow your receiver got screwed up and you replaced it with one with the same serial number(had you put one on).

The deadline for registering .50's has not passed yet. Register your 80% completed serialized homemade .50 BMG before the deadline and you're gold. FYI, you'll need to put a serial number on your legally possesed before 12/31/04 .50 BMG homemade receiver.

I'm not suggesting anyone do anything or not do anything.

I wouldn't answer any questions to law enforcement unless I was being charged and my attorney was present, if you want to be a Boy Scout and volunteer information, reliving law enforcement of having to prove it beyond a doubt, be my guest.

P.S. Pay in cash only.http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jared@barringtons.com
02-11-2005, 5:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You could probably get away with it but if they ever found out that you made it after 12/31/04, you could end up in jail.

Think about the consequences before you do something like this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My XM-205 receiver and magazine is large enough to handle .50BMG and is actually designed around it so to speek, since I do not yet have a .510DCT cartridge to fit it to. You'de be surpprised how far I have actually come with it.
If I got ahold of a barrel and Muzzle break next week, you would see video of it being fired at the range, probably by mid march if I can legally make the origional prototype a .50BMG ( otherwise, i'll have to wait till I can get my hands on some .510DTC ammo and possably reloading gear.

RRangel
02-11-2005, 6:42 PM
It has come to my attention that we’ve had some more drama regarding spelling errors again. There may be those that have a natural problem with spelling. If this is the case than I think people here are mature enough to deal with it. Calguns.net is not about unnecessary drama. In other words if you’re creating drama knock it off because it's unwanted. Having some errors isn’t such a big deal. I can understand when there is excess but it’s still not the end of the world.

If someone makes light of your spelling it’s also not the end of the world. There is no need for even slightly implied threats on Calguns.net and if you think there is you’re taking things a little to seriously and you can go elsewhere, better yet I’ll ban you.

This includes things that I find out about via e-mail or PM because this has gotten ridiculous.

There is such a thing as using a “spell checker” and they work. I'd advise those who need it to use one. I really don’t know the extent of the problems that people have and I don’t think it’s really my business to delve into peoples personal lives, but if you create anymore drama you’re gone.

This is the final word.