PDA

View Full Version : things that are legal to own but not sell

bohoki
05-17-2009, 4:15 PM
i was trying to think of an analogous thing like our pre-ban magazines

and could only come up with 2

prescription medications and used toilets

i cant believe it when i saw toilet law i guess it is to keep people from installing a toilet that uses too much water
or is it a health issue?

also with that water saving issue i love the showerhead loophole they are limited to 2.5 gpm but there is no law saying how many shower heads you can have so people just install a bunch and those shower tiles too

DDT
05-17-2009, 4:23 PM
Registered assault weapons.

children

(you can also pull the restrictor plate out of many showerheads)

bohoki
05-17-2009, 4:31 PM

children

children ownership surely you jest

vJCRNXUngAM

ad6mj
05-17-2009, 4:31 PM
kidneys

DDT
05-17-2009, 4:33 PM
children ownership surely you jest

lol

How about possess?

VegasND
Every woman knows the number one answer!

drexotic
I don't think you can legally sell a used matress (not 100% on that)

freakshow10mm

children

Actually in Michigan there's no law preventing a parent or legal guardian from selling their child. Some crack whore in Detroit sold her daughter to her pimp for $500 while the dad was at work. Court said pimp is now legal guardian and the father has to buy her back. Sad but true.

God Bless The Mauser
05-17-2009, 4:34 PM
Senate seats.

ke6guj
05-17-2009, 4:36 PM
2+" switchblades

easy
05-17-2009, 4:41 PM

Yard sale
Goodwill
Salvation Army

Vtec44
05-17-2009, 5:48 PM
In California, "high cap" magazines (not repair kits).

JDay
05-17-2009, 6:24 PM
Actually in Michigan there's no law preventing a parent or legal guardian from selling their child. Some crack whore in Detroit sold her daughter to her pimp for $500 while the dad was at work. Court said pimp is now legal guardian and the father has to buy her back. Sad but true.

There's federal laws against human trafficking.

MP301
05-17-2009, 6:44 PM

Sorry, But I call BullS***. Show me the article or otehr legit info.

AC Gould
05-17-2009, 7:40 PM
Used catalytic converters

ffs027
05-17-2009, 7:48 PM
absinthe
any part of an animal taken under a sportfishing or hunting license

B Strong
05-17-2009, 7:48 PM

Got a link?

CSACANNONEER
05-17-2009, 7:51 PM

I think you are right.

Yard sale
Goodwill
Salvation Army

Lots of things get illegally sold at garage sales. You will NEVER see a USED matress at a Goodwill or Salvation army though.

DDT
05-17-2009, 9:56 PM
absinthe

There are a number of true absinthes on the US market now. There is a limit to the amount of Thujone (wormwood extract) in the product but the limit would likely include the vast majority of the traditional absinthes. The US officially allows no wormwood extract but they have been very liberal in their interpretation of zero, I believe the limit is something like 20ppm. (check out wormwoodsociety.org for the real scoop.)

I have a number of US legal absinthes in my house right now. I really like St. George's.

Anyway, you can make homemade beer and wine but you can't sell it.

bohoki
05-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Anyway, you can make homemade beer and wine but you can't sell it.

ahh yea i think jimmy carter did that one for us

just remembered you cant sell your reloads

cj cake
05-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Dupe

DDT
05-17-2009, 10:04 PM

just remembered you cant sell your reloads

Yes, one of the things he did right. If only he'd gone ahead and added still into the equation we wouldn't have another way of turning honest people doing no one any harm into felons.

ojisan
05-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Small kid's size off-road motorcycles and ATVs because they have lead in some of the parts.
You know how all kids tend to gnaw and chew on engine cases and fenders and stuff.
:rolleyes:

bigcalidave
05-17-2009, 11:15 PM
2+" switchblades

Aren't those banned possession ?

Turo
05-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Aren't those banned possession ?

nope. can't carry or sell, but you can own in your house.

Also added to list, Double edged knives and throwing stars.

EDIT: Also these things in PC 12020
any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable
firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a
firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which
contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or
carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst
trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any
short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any
leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol,
any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge
knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice
handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon
of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy,
sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

jamesob
05-17-2009, 11:39 PM
legally, im not supposed to pimp out my ho, but i do it anyways.

Sam
05-18-2009, 12:03 AM
legally, im not supposed to pimp out my ho, but i do it anyways.

legally I'm not supposed to buy your ho for an hour but I do it anyways...oh wait, did I say that out loud?

383green
05-18-2009, 12:09 AM
oh wait, did I say that out loud?

No, you just thought it.

yellowfin
05-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Senate seats. Laws against selling of political seats have been proven to be unenforceable in most cases.

JDay
05-18-2009, 1:28 AM
absinthe
any part of an animal taken under a sportfishing or hunting license

Absinthe has been 100% legal since November 2007. You can get it at any BevMo.

bigcalidave
05-18-2009, 1:29 AM

Umm, no?

Right before your quote is this one
or who gives,
lends, or possesses

Note the word possesses... It's the brass knuckles, SBR, SBS, etc law, you can't OWN those, or anything else on that list.

Now, through that research, switchblades over 2" ARE legal to own but not sell (or carry, use, show off, etc), as provided through PC 653K. They are NOT governed by 12020.

E Pluribus Unum
05-18-2009, 1:37 AM
Switch blades 2+ inches are legal to carry for people with 1 arm.

Also... there is only one crime in the state of California that is illegal to attempt... but legal to do. What is it??

Suicide. :)

bigcalidave
05-18-2009, 1:45 AM

ROFL !!! Is that in case law? That's amazing. They should just be allowed to carry a gun. Or was that for cutting things you can't shoot?

scc1909
05-18-2009, 5:51 AM
Yes, one of the things he did right. If only he'd gone ahead and added still into the equation we wouldn't have another way of turning honest people doing no one any harm into felons.

There is no Federal prohibition against owning and operating a still, just as there are no Federal prohibitions against owning and operating a fully automatic machine gun or silencer.

You just have to pay the tax man, baby! :thumbsup:

ChuckBooty
05-18-2009, 6:21 AM
AIDS

ohsmily
05-18-2009, 10:07 AM

What??? Link?

motorhead
05-18-2009, 10:22 AM
used catyalytic converters.

DRM6000
05-18-2009, 11:09 AM

you can't legally sell a used mattress unless it is sanitized according to state (or fed?) regulations.

bohoki
05-18-2009, 11:42 AM

uh those are illegal to own

bohoki
05-18-2009, 11:44 AM

Also... there is only one crime in the state of California that is illegal to attempt... but legal to do. What is it??

Suicide. :)

just because you are not going to be tried in a court doesn't make it legal

E Pluribus Unum
05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
just because you are not going to be tried in a court doesn't make it legal

Point to me the penal code that makes it illegal to actually kill one's self. :)

E Pluribus Unum
05-18-2009, 12:05 PM
There is no Federal prohibition against owning and operating a still, just as there are no Federal prohibitions against owning and operating a fully automatic machine gun or silencer.

There is however a prohibition in Federal law regarding the possession on federal lands, and interstate transfer of switch blades over 3 inches. :)

ROFL !!! Is that in case law? That's amazing. They should just be allowed to carry a gun. Or was that for cutting things you can't shoot?

My memory was faulty. The exemption for one-armed men is one of the FEDERAL exemptions to carrying a switchblade on federal lands. :)

15 U.S.C. 1244 provides, in summary: Knives can be shipped by common carrier, that sale, transportation or distribution, possession or introduction into interstate commerce of switchblade knives is authorized if it is pursuant to a contract with the armed forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his or her duty may possess switchblade knives and may have them shipped to him and sold to him or her. The possession and transportation upon his or her person of a switchblade knife or a blade 3 inches or less is authorized to any handicap individual who has the use of only one arm.

markw
05-18-2009, 12:32 PM

You can't buy a new one here either. Just tried. Have to have an "authorized" repair facility do it. But that's OK, because the state picks up the tab on that. :banghead:

Sarkoon
05-18-2009, 6:56 PM

This is only the case with fully-automatic weapons registered pre-1986. I dare you to find a FN P90 for civilian purchase at any price! Because you can't, that to me is a Federal prohibition.

SimpleCountryActuary
05-18-2009, 8:29 PM
used toilets

ATC

Assault Toilets from Canada!!!!!!! :eek:

Also it is illegal to import toilets from Canada. But if all those guns can be smuggled into Mexico from Texas, why don't we see more black market Canadian toilets? :confused:

You picked the best one so far. :thumbsup:

DDT
05-18-2009, 8:41 PM

I wish you were right about that. Unfortunately there is no exemption with taxes or otherwise for running a still at home. You have two options for running a still. Either get a permit for fuel production from the BATFE (http://www.ttb.gov/forms/f511074.pdf) (and then you basically lose your 4th amendment rights for where ever your still is located) or, you can become a commercial beverage distiller.

If you are aware of any law that permits one to set up a still in their backyard (like the beer and wine comparison I made) and run that still with taxes or not I'd love to see the citation.

scc1909
05-18-2009, 9:37 PM
I wish you were right about that. Unfortunately there is no exemption with taxes or otherwise for running a still at home. You have two options for running a still. Either get a permit for fuel production from the BATFE (http://www.ttb.gov/forms/f511074.pdf) (and then you basically lose your 4th amendment rights for where ever your still is located) or, you can become a commercial beverage distiller.

If you are aware of any law that permits one to set up a still in their backyard (like the beer and wine comparison I made) and run that still with taxes or not I'd love to see the citation.

Yes, I gave a bit of a flip answer...sorry about that. There ARE hoops to jump through to own and operate a still, similar to what one has to do to buy and possess a legal machine gun or silencer, but it's not forbidden. That was my point.

Here's a good site about home distilling: http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id10.html

LexRex
05-18-2009, 10:16 PM
bear gall bladders

DDT
05-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Yes, I gave a bit of a flip answer...sorry about that. There ARE hoops to jump through to own and operate a still, similar to what one has to do to buy and possess a legal machine gun or silencer, but it's not forbidden. That was my point.

Here's a good site about home distilling: http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id10.html

That is not for beverage distilling which should have been clear from my first post and if it wasn't it was explicitly spelled out in my second. THERE IS NO LEGAL WAY TO DISTILL ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AT HOME. I don't care how many hoops you want to jump through. ONLY LICENSED DISTILLERIES can distill.

I would greatly appreciate it if you know of ANY distilling exemption to:

21 USC 1.21 Domestic producers, rectifiers, blenders, and warehousemen.

No person, except pursuant to a basic permit issued under the Act, shall:

(a) Engage in the business of distilling distilled spirits, producing wine, rectifying or blending distilled spirits or wine, or bottling, or warehousing and bottling, distilled spirits; or

(b) While so engaged, sell, offer or deliver for sale, contract to sell, or ship, in interstate or foreign commerce, directly or indirectly or through an affiliate, distilled spirits or wine so distilled, produced, rectified, blended, or bottled, or warehoused and bottled.

E Pluribus Unum
05-18-2009, 10:59 PM
That is not for beverage distilling which should have been clear from my first post and if it wasn't it was explicitly spelled out in my second. THERE IS NO LEGAL WAY TO DISTILL ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AT HOME. I don't care how many hoops you want to jump through. ONLY LICENSED DISTILLERIES can distill.

The key phrase is "Engage in the business".

Brewing for personal use is not "business".

E Pluribus Unum
05-18-2009, 11:14 PM

I just caught your "distilleries" verbiage...

Its been a bit since I checked into it but back when I looked into it.. there are provisions for non-permitted brewing of beer and wine but to actually DISTILL the alcohol to make stronger stuff I believe a permit is still required.

steven_m64
05-19-2009, 4:25 AM
Absinthe has been 100% legal since November 2007. You can get it at any BevMo.

yes it is legal but i would not call the stuff real absinthe since it is only similar in taste and flavor and does not contain almost any thujone..

if you want the real stuff you have to get it from here: http://www.greenfairy.org/home.php

:D

r08ert209cali
05-19-2009, 6:07 AM

beet me to it.. however you can sell them to a recycler....Thats why the crack heads steal them out of your toyota in the middle of the night.
pre ban high cap evil gas cans with out the spill proof tops that spill $4 a gallon gas everywhere:banghead:

E Pluribus Unum
05-19-2009, 11:48 AM
pre ban high cap evil gas cans with out the spill proof tops that spill $4 a gallon gas everywhere:banghead:

They have a way around that.... :)

I saw in the store the other day a steel wide mouthed old school gas can for sale. The only difference was it was painted blue and sign on the side "This container is not approved for the storage of gasoline". :)

Vacaville
05-19-2009, 12:11 PM
I just caught your "distilleries" verbiage...

Its been a bit since I checked into it but back when I looked into it.. there are provisions for non-permitted brewing of beer and wine but to actually DISTILL the alcohol to make stronger stuff I believe a permit is still required.

You can legally make up to 180 gallons of wine for personal consumption. Don't know about beer or distilled alcohol. Can't sell it without a permit though.

E Pluribus Unum
05-19-2009, 12:49 PM
You can legally make up to 180 gallons of wine for personal consumption. Don't know about beer or distilled alcohol. Can't sell it without a permit though.

That was my understanding as well. That would be "business".

AaronHorrocks
05-19-2009, 1:08 PM

It was a step in the right direction. Before that it was illegal to brew your own stuff, at all! :eek:

Which was just crazy, because nearly (if not all) of the founding fathers brewed thier own alcoholic beverages.

alpha_romeo_XV
05-19-2009, 1:38 PM
I thought it was illegal to buy votes. They used to close bars on election day voting hours to prevent it. But I think people whore out their vote all the time for less than a mug of beer.

rivviepop
05-19-2009, 1:43 PM
Small kid's size off-road motorcycles and ATVs because they have lead in some of the parts.

I just got the newest American Motorcyclist, they're fighting this one as an unintended consequence of the CSPA; the article was talking about a rally where this 6 year old talks to the crowd "my name is XXX, I ride and race dirtbikes and motorcycles. please give me my bikes back, I promise not to eat them." :)

DRH
05-19-2009, 2:03 PM
I believe that non-detectable (plastic/ceramic) knives fall into this catagory of legal to possess but illegal to sell, manufacturer or import.

Turo
05-19-2009, 2:07 PM
I believe that non-detectable (plastic/ceramic) knives fall into this catagory of legal to possess but illegal to sell, manufacturer or import.

I hope not, you can buy them from Cold Steel and have them shipped to your house...

donstarr
05-19-2009, 2:10 PM

The California limits for home-brewed beer and wine are 200 gallons per year if there are two or more adults in the household, 100 gallons per year if there is only one adult in the household.

Business and Professions Code 23356.2

These are the same as the federal limits (27 CFR 24.75 and 27 CFR 25.205).

rivviepop
05-19-2009, 2:14 PM
I hope not, you can buy them from Cold Steel and have them shipped to your house...

Yup, 12001.1(a) covers undetectable knives, with or without a handguard. "CIA letter openers" are legal to posses but illegal to sell.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12001.1.html

DDT
05-19-2009, 2:17 PM
yes it is legal but i would not call the stuff real absinthe since it is only similar in taste and flavor and does not contain almost any thujone..

This is inaccurate as the few samples of traditional absinthe that have been lab tested almost all show levels of thujone that would pass US standards. For the real scoop check out the absinthe nerds at http://www.wormwodsociety.org. The crap that they've been selling in central Europe, particularly the Czech Republic is vile and no relation at all to traditional absinthe.

CHS
05-19-2009, 2:18 PM

If you notice, those knives have a lanyard hole in the pommel with a steel ring in them, making them now "detectable". So they are perfectly legal :)

Turo
05-19-2009, 2:22 PM
If you notice, those knives have a lanyard hole in the pommel with a steel ring in them, making them now "detectable". So they are perfectly legal :)

that's true, mine does I mean, the one's I've seen do :43:

DDT
05-19-2009, 2:24 PM
that's true, mine did I mean, the one's I've seen do :43:

Fixed that for you.

Vacaville
05-19-2009, 2:28 PM
The California limits for home-brewed beer and wine are 200 gallons per year if there are two or more adults in the household, 100 gallons per year if there is only one adult in the household.

Business and Professions Code 23356.2

These are the same as the federal limits (27 CFR 24.75 and 27 CFR 25.205).

I stand corrected. Been out of the industry for a few years. Don't remember any provision for only 100 gallons for one adult. Is that new?

DDT
05-19-2009, 2:32 PM
I stand corrected. Been out of the industry for a few years. Don't remember any provision for only 100 gallons for one adult. Is that new?

Nah, it's been that way as long as I remember. I started brewing in 1990.

E Pluribus Unum
05-19-2009, 5:37 PM
Nah, it's been that way as long as I remember. I started brewing in 1990.

How can that be... you are arguing that it has been legal for x amount of years yet earlier in the thread you were saying it is completely illegal?

donstarr
05-19-2009, 5:56 PM
How can that be... you are arguing that it has been legal for x amount of years yet earlier in the thread you were saying it is completely illegal?

"Legal for x amount of years" = producing beer and wine at home
"Completely illegal" (really, based on permits and taxes) = home distillation

DDT
05-19-2009, 6:03 PM

Reading is fundamental.

bsim
05-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Vaginas.

norcal13
05-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Vaginas.

you never own it............

you're just renting.

383green
05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
you never own it............

you're just renting.

No, you're thinking of beer.

For the other items... well, the suppliers own, and the consumers beg, borrow, or rent, as necessary. ;)

bsim
05-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Yup, the suppliers own, but can't sell...:chris:

383green
05-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Yup, the suppliers own, but can't sell...:chris:

I'm told that in much of Nevada, they can rent it. I understand that it's taxed, and there are mandated minimum standards of maintenance and, uh, emissions testing, as it were.

Just sayin'... :whistling:

BroncoBob
05-20-2009, 6:41 AM

WTF, you have to be joking?

VegasND
05-20-2009, 4:52 PM
I'm told that in much of Nevada, they can rent it. I understand that it's taxed, and there are mandated minimum standards of maintenance and, uh, emissions testing, as it were.

Just sayin'... :whistling:
http://www.chickenranchbrothel.com/

383green
05-20-2009, 5:03 PM
http://www.chickenranchbrothel.com/

You know, I grew up in Las Vegas, but I had never read "the menu" before. I didn't see any pricing. I guess if you have to ask, you can't afford it? :tt1:

bohoki
05-20-2009, 5:32 PM
ok lets review so far we have

magazines
used toilets
prescription medications
your body parts/organs (other than hair)
homemade ammo
homemade beer
homemade wine
used matress
animals personally hunted
switchblades with blades greater than 2 inches
non carb compliant gas cans
undetectable (by metal dectector) knives
catalytic convertors

oh yea personally registered assault weapons

SimpleCountryActuary
05-20-2009, 8:57 PM
ok lets review so far we have

magazines
used toilets
prescription medications
your body parts/organs (other than hair)
homemade ammo
homemade beer
homemade wine
used matress
animals personally hunted
switchblades with blades greater than 2 inches
non carb compliant gas cans
undetectable (by metal dectector) knives
catalytic convertors

oh yea personally registered assault weapons

I just thought of an exception to the used toilet prohibition -- if it comes with a house attached. :p

DanTheMan
05-20-2009, 9:54 PM
replica watches

bohoki
05-20-2009, 9:57 PM
I just thought of an exception to the used toilet prohibition -- if it comes with a house attached. :p

hmm maybe we could use that same exception if we affix large capacity magazines to the walls

xxdabroxx
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM
hmm maybe we could use that same exception if we affix large capacity magazines to the walls

i didnt sell him a high cap, i sold him a house...

bohoki
05-21-2009, 12:37 PM
replica watches

i guess that means all bootleg products that have trademark violations

E Pluribus Unum
05-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Any 3-wheeler made after 1988.

ke6guj
05-21-2009, 1:01 PM
Any 3-wheeler made after 1988.would that be sell period, even in the used market? Or just that the manufacturers agreed to not make anymore, maybe with legal prohibitions as well?

CHS
05-21-2009, 1:58 PM
would that be sell period, even in the used market? Or just that the manufacturers agreed to not make anymore, maybe with legal prohibitions as well?

I'm pretty sure you can still sell your old 3-wheeled ATV's. Manufacturers just can't make new ones.

E Pluribus Unum
05-21-2009, 3:00 PM
I'm pretty sure you can still sell your old 3-wheeled ATV's. Manufacturers just can't make new ones.

This is correct... but that is not what I was referring to.

One could still make a three wheeler for personal use on private property... but because it was manufactured after 1988... one could never sell it to someone else.

Any commercially produced 3-wheeler that was made before 1988 is legal to sell used.

rp55
05-21-2009, 4:10 PM
You can grow, process, own and consume your own tobacco. However if you sell it you will be getting a visit from our old friends at BATFE.

BTW, I have some very nice heirloom burley seeds that do exceptionally well in Zone 9 (Central Coast). If SHTF I may well go into the tobacco business.

mossy
05-21-2009, 4:23 PM
i cant sell all those pain pills i dont need :(

wcnones
05-21-2009, 4:31 PM
i cant sell all those pain pills i dont need :(

But you could lend them to me.

ke6guj
05-21-2009, 5:32 PM
One could still make a three wheeler for personal use on private property... but because it was manufactured after 1988... one could never sell it to someone else.
Do you have a code reference on that? Just interested on how they worded that to cover private manufacture for personal use, and then later sale.

aileron
05-21-2009, 7:33 PM
.... the suppliers own, and the consumers beg, borrow, or rent, as necessary. ;)

and shall remain a strategic commodity until someone comes up with the female android.

http://www.brucegray.com/images/ap2.jpg

Seesm
05-21-2009, 8:43 PM

Good people having really GOOD times....

Tweak338
05-21-2009, 10:22 PM

children

Or drill the hole bigger :thumbsup:

Tweak338
05-21-2009, 10:24 PM
You know how all kids tend to gnaw and chew on engine cases and fenders and stuff.
:rolleyes:
LOL
That is frigging retarded too.
50 - 80CC bikes are fun to screw around on.

DDT
05-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Or drill the hole bigger :thumbsup:

That's what she said.

(Man, I'm in THAT mood tonight. Everything's gotta be a smartass remark.)

dreyna14
05-22-2009, 12:08 AM
V***NA is legal to own but illegal to sell. Reminds me of the old George Carlin quote, "Why is it illegal to sell something that's perfectly legal to give away?"

E Pluribus Unum
05-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Do you have a code reference on that? Just interested on how they worded that to cover private manufacture for personal use, and then later sale.

No, I don't, and its not important enough for me to research it. :)

I know that manufacturers were forbidden from manufacturing them after mid 1988. My uncle used to own a Honda motorcycle dealership.

bohoki
05-22-2009, 8:29 PM
V***NA is legal to own but illegal to sell. Reminds me of the old George Carlin quote, "Why is it illegal to sell something that's perfectly legal to give away?"

i have prescription medications on the list unless the word you use isnt the one that fills my spam folder

383green
05-22-2009, 8:34 PM
I suspect that the word was not "Viagna"... :rolleyes: