PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions-- LEO Status & Transfer

cracktheskye
05-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Alright...
So I do my best to stay informed of gun laws, but I have two questions that I'm unable to find answers for.

1) From what I understand, off-roster handguns may be PPT'ed if the gun is owned by an LEO. If I'm mistaken, please let me know. Does a federal agent (BATF, FBI, ICE, etc.) enjoy LEO Status? In other words, what would be the legal parameters of the following hypothetical situation:
Person A is interested in acquiring an off-roster Sig, while still adhering to CA magazine requirements. Person B is a friend and is an agent with ICE, and is willing to buy the gun, try it out to see if he likes it and if not, sell to person A. I am not suggesting that Person B buys with the intent to sell to Person A, which from my understanding is illegal. Does the agent have LEO status in this state?

2) I was given a shotgun for Christmas six or seven years ago by a now ex-girlfriend. She has since moved to Minnesota, and I am still in possession of the shotgun. What is the most practical way of getting the shotgun re-registered in my name, short of flying her out to California? I thought at some point I had heard about a form that essentially re-registers the serial number, but have been unable to find anything.

Thanks!

JDay
05-17-2009, 1:53 PM
1. Anyone can PPT an off roster handgun.

2. Long guns are not registered unless you send in the voluntary registration forum or its a registered "assault weapon".

bigcalidave
05-17-2009, 9:46 PM
wow

cr250chevy
05-17-2009, 10:25 PM
I believe his first question is: Is it ok for an LEO to buy a non-roster handgun just to turn around and ppt it to someone else (non-leo).
btw-my understand is yes they can, correct me if wrong.
which brings up a part of his statement in #1:
can an LEO buy a handgun with the INTENT to ppt to someone else?
(sorry not trying to thread steal, but it is consistent with your question)

Librarian
05-17-2009, 10:48 PM
I believe his first question is: Is it ok for an LEO to buy a non-roster handgun just to turn around and ppt it to someone else (non-leo).
btw-my understand is yes they can, correct me if wrong.
That's correct - LEOs are allowed to buy stuff they wind up hating, just like the rest of us.

which brings up a part of his statement in #1:
can an LEO buy a handgun with the INTENT to ppt to someone else?
(sorry not trying to thread steal, but it is consistent with your question)
How would anyone know? If the LEO in question stayed at the 5 PPT sales per year limit, there would be no reason to investigate.