PDA

View Full Version : Getting night sights installed on an HK USP

ggreen144
05-17-2009, 12:29 PM
I am trying to get Trijicon night sights installed on my USP. I went to a local gun shop who happens to sell them. When I asked how much it would cost to install them they said it was $45 and they had to install them with a brass punch and there was no guarantees that they would not scratch the slide.

Is there a better way to do this or do you just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best if you get night sights installed on a USP? Thanks in advance.

PolishMike
05-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Find someone with the sight tool. They should NOT be using a punch for this.

Dangerous1
05-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Most gunsmiths won't have tools for every make of gun but some do have the common ones. Maybe look around for someone with this tool. http://www.topgunsupply.com/sight-adjust-install-tool-h-amp-k-usp_p2000.html

If you wanna come down to OC, I'll let you use mine :p BTW, it's nice to own one because then you can sight it in as well as you'd like plus if you ever pick up another USP or P2000 you can use it again. Or even loan it out.

jimrod
05-17-2009, 2:33 PM
Get a USP sight installation tool and do it yourself. If your night sights are the adjustable variety, then most standard sight tools won't work as the front sight is too high and rear right is too wide and too high to fit in the USP tool. I'm not saying that there are no sight pusher tools that will work, I just haven't found one. When you can't find a tool, you just have to use other creative means - I had to with my USP and Meprolight adjustable sights.

Dangerous1
05-17-2009, 4:42 PM
BTW, if you use a vise, towel, brass punch, and some blue painters tape, you can easily swap out the sights without special tools. It's just that you may need to adjust it at the range, without a firm vise, maybe with a buddy holding the slide, that can get your slide scratched. Ask me how I know? :p

loosewreck
05-17-2009, 5:36 PM
BTW, if you use a vise, towel, brass punch, and some blue painters tape, you can easily swap out the sights without special tools. It's just that you may need to adjust it at the range, without a firm vise, maybe with a buddy holding the slide, that can get your slide scratched. Ask me how I know? :p

I've used this method successfully several times, but instead of a towel I use a piece of leather or a shammy to protect the surfaces receiving the blows. Also, in the vice I use a pair of rubber jaws to hold the tape masked slide in. With lots of patience the only problem I've run into, is that with this method the white lettering on the sights will get removed if they're not printed in a recessed embossment.

All the tools in total are far cheaper then a sight tool, and can be aquired a cheap hardware stores like Harbor Freight. However, if you plan on changing several sights on several guns of the same make it may be a good investment to get a sight tool. But even with a specific tool, masking the slide and lots of patience would still be a good idea.

what2be
05-17-2009, 5:37 PM
Damn, what kind of oakie gunsmith are you going to? Even the local sporting good store here in Eureka (middle of BFE) has the HK sight installation tool.
I had them install my Heine straight 8 sights on my HK45 and they charged me $25.

arjedi
05-17-2009, 9:50 PM
This is the perfect tool, I love it. It helps replace / adjusts front and rear sights.
Price has gone up a lot. When I bought mine, it was $79.00.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/702077.html