PDA

View Full Version : Any reloader here make .223 test, practice and dry fire dummy rounds?

glock_this
05-17-2009, 8:56 AM
Man, I just cannot stomach the price of some of the practice, test and dry fire rounds. This snap caps... arm and a leg. I have had a few of the nice aluminum models... lost them. And that is an expensive loss. Magpul has some offerings.

So, I am kind of surprised that no Calgunner is selling a true converted brass round you can use to test function, practice with and dry fire without damaging the pin. I have seen options on the web - using rubber/silicon inserts and stuff.. but it would be cool if someone here started making and selling them. Maybe as singles or better yet, as like a 10 pack.

Anyone?

glock_this
05-20-2009, 5:31 PM
we got guys making all kinds of cool products here & selling them for profit and competing with bigger companies... no one can pull this one off and start to make something more affordable? hmmm

ocabj
05-20-2009, 5:52 PM
I don't think anyone does it because:

1. It's a simple DIY job.

2. Very, very limited usage.

I don't bother using a snap cap when I dry fire, even though I can make some. And I dry fire my AR quite a bit. I've got about a dozen brand new spare firing pins, though.

And you have a far greater chance of damaging your firing pin by live firing (piercing a primer) than you do dry firing.

glock_this
05-20-2009, 6:02 PM
for me.. I have failed to pick up any 223 spent brass from the range as I suppose I could make one, but I have no spent brass to do so. Maybe next time at the range.

I agree I suppose I could do it if I had some tips..

What do you put in place for the pin to strike (just drill it out and shove an eraser or silicon in there)? What about the bullet portion, how do you "fake" that to have a legit shape and some weight to the round. I have seen cool orange silicon models, but how would you DIY?

I think it would be useful to have. For example, I made 8 or so new 10/20 pmags and would like to test that all works... 10 of these would come in very handy.

Jicko
05-20-2009, 6:06 PM
Just go buy Magpul ones....

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/images/drds.jpg

bohoki
05-20-2009, 6:07 PM
so what you want is like a .223 case with fmj bullet crimped with some hot glue squirted in the primer hole and cut flush?

glock_this
05-20-2009, 6:16 PM
so what you want is like a .223 case with fmj bullet crimped with some hot glue squirted in the primer hole and cut flush?

sounds exactly like what I want. this way, I get a fairly legit weight, an actual full sized legit round, and something you could also dry fire against. several utilities in 1 product.

glock_this
05-20-2009, 6:19 PM
Just go buy Magpul ones....

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/images/drds.jpg

have certainly seen and considered these.

I could be wrong, and am no pro on it by any means, but understand from random readings that they are just for testing purposes (test feeding, cycling and such), but not so much for a dry fire. so fits 1 purpose, but not dual purpose.

ocabj
05-20-2009, 7:16 PM
What do you put in place for the pin to strike (just drill it out and shove an eraser or silicon in there)? What about the bullet portion, how do you "fake" that to have a legit shape and some weight to the round. I have seen cool orange silicon models, but how would you DIY?

I guess just fill the primer pocket with epoxy or something.

Not sure how I would fake a bullet. I'd just use a bullet.

At this point it's going to look like a live round, though, so it might be a good idea to drill a hole straight through the wall of the case in a couple places just so you can easily see it's not a loaded round.

bohoki
05-20-2009, 9:11 PM
sounds exactly like what I want. this way, I get a fairly legit weight, an actual full sized legit round, and something you could also dry fire against. several utilities in 1 product.

i guess it woudnt be hard to drop in 25 grains of sand

but i dont like the idea of realistic dummys

#1 its a waste of good components and
#2 unsafe (i know we are all careful but accidents still happen)

Desert_Rat
05-20-2009, 9:44 PM
i guess it woudnt be hard to drop in 25 grains of sand

but i dont like the idea of realistic dummys

#1 its a waste of good components and
#2 unsafe (i know we are all careful but accidents still happen)

+1:thumbsup:

glock_this
05-20-2009, 9:47 PM
point well taken... but I had planned to modify in such a way, like with drill holes or paint. or, the whole purpose of why people have made versions with orange tips. just to be sure. as for the waste factor, I find that a non issue for 10 rounds for example. and the issue with these seen below is they should not be dry fired they claim, just for drills and testing. so it fits 1 need, and not the other. I wonder if you could put something in the hole for the pin to strike? like an eraser.

http://www.officerstore.com/store/products/20070810033436_Photo2.jpg

joelogic
05-20-2009, 11:35 PM
I thought breaking floating firing pins was a non issue. I would like some to make some dummys for failure clearing drills. For a dollar each I wouldnt want to lose the magpul ones. Picked up brass and a $.09 bullet is much better.

Glock_this send me your contact info and some ideas and I will make a batch up and just charge you shipping.

crob241
05-21-2009, 2:03 AM
I`m reloading 9mm, .45acp and .223 right now, I can make some minus primers and powder, give me a day or two, I probably will do a bunch, maybe 7.62x39 as well. I have dies and components for just about any caliber, except 50BMG, thnx

coop44
05-21-2009, 7:35 AM
remington makes function test dummies. real bullet real case NO primer pocket. Got some and sorry not giving them up.

glock_this
05-21-2009, 7:41 AM
I thought breaking floating firing pins was a non issue. I would like some to make some dummys for failure clearing drills. For a dollar each I wouldnt want to lose the magpul ones. Picked up brass and a $.09 bullet is much better.

Glock_this send me your contact info and some ideas and I will make a batch up and just charge you shipping.

I`m reloading 9mm, .45acp and .223 right now, I can make some minus primers and powder, give me a day or two, I probably will do a bunch, maybe 7.62x39 as well. I have dies and components for just about any caliber, except 50BMG, thnx

hey guys.. thanks for the offer... when you get them done, post up here or send me a PM direct as I would like to get 10 of them from one of you please.

Full Clip
05-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Just buy some of these:
http://www.stactionpro.com/223-cal-556mm-action-trainer-dummy-rounds-p-6.html
The orange tip makes them VERY easy to find.

glock_this
05-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Just buy some of these:
http://www.stactionpro.com/223-cal-556mm-action-trainer-dummy-rounds-p-6.html
The orange tip makes them VERY easy to find.

yes, yes.. I know all about those. see my above photo, I already posted about them. BUT, they are not made for dry fire. I am trying to get 1 product that does 2 things. not 1 product for dry fire and 1 product for cycling, mag testing.

gose
05-21-2009, 10:31 AM
When I dry fire, I do it with an empty gun, no matter if it's a shotgun, rifle or pistol. If I'm not at the range, I want to be sure that the chamber is empty before pulling the trigger. Seeing something in there, even if I'm pretty darn sure it's a dummy, makes me uncomfortable.