PDA

View Full Version : Question on Law Enforment Only Mags

Cromwell
05-17-2009, 8:21 AM
My father passed away and while going through his things I found 2 mags for his M1A. They are 20 round stamped with Law Enforcment Only. I have no idea how he got them or even how long ago. He is was never in LE, I think it would of been around 1996 since that is when he bought the M1A but I am not sure. His guns are now mine since he passed my question is what should I do about the mags? Toss them in the trash? Or can I legaly own and use them. I have my own M1A as well and have pre ban high caps for it which I use all the time. But these were my dads and I would like to keep them, but I dont want any hassels with LE. If this type of question has been asked I appologize, i searched the forum and nothing realy answered it for me.

Thank you.

BigDogatPlay
05-17-2009, 8:36 AM
There's a ton of threads on all the various standard capacity magazine scenarios.

Bottom line, possession is not against the law. Manufacturing, importing into the state, transferring, selling, offering for sale, etc. are against the law. Can't even be legally transferred in interfamilial (e.g. father to son) transfers.

For what it's worth, the LEO only marking indicates manufacture after the 1994 federal ban, which sunset in 2004. If he bought the rifle in 1996, then one has to wonder how he acquired the mags, but c'est la vie. Your choices are:

a) Keep them and enjoy them.
b) Break them down to parts.
c) Sell them out of state.

DDT
05-17-2009, 3:49 PM
a) is a felony and I would strongly suggest you not do that.

JDay
05-17-2009, 3:58 PM
a) is a felony and I would strongly suggest you not do that.

:bofud:

DDT
05-17-2009, 4:13 PM
:bofud:

God. Not this again. There is no law against possession but transferring the mag to another person is a felony. If you receive the property you have participated in the felony and could be convicted. If you were the executor of his will, you will in fact have committed a felony if you do not dispose of them properly.

What are the chances that you will get busted with these magazines? Less than 1% I'm sure. And unless you say something really stupid the chances of a conviction are probably an order of magnitude less.

jello2594
05-17-2009, 6:12 PM
If you receive the property you have participated in the felony and could be convicted.

Ridiculous. If someone commits a felony by robbing me, and I have participated by handing over my wallet, that makes me a part of the felony too, right? When my father died, I took possession of his 100 round and 177 round magazines for his rifles, along with the many other "greater than 10 round" capacity magazines for various handguns, etc. If they want to charge him with a felony for transferring them to me, they can go right ahead.

JDay
05-17-2009, 6:18 PM
God. Not this again. There is no law against possession but transferring the mag to another person is a felony. If you receive the property you have participated in the felony and could be convicted. If you were the executor of his will, you will in fact have committed a felony if you do not dispose of them properly.

What are the chances that you will get busted with these magazines? Less than 1% I'm sure. And unless you say something really stupid the chances of a conviction are probably an order of magnitude less.

His father passed away and he found the magazines while going through the stuff his father left to him. No crime committed.

hawk81
05-17-2009, 6:19 PM
DON'T ASK DON"T TELL. MAN UP.

sorensen440
05-17-2009, 6:23 PM
His father passed away and he found the magazines while going through the stuff his father left to him. No crime committed.
His father did not give them to him they were found
for all he knows they werent even his fathers

No law against finding them...

ETA: as for destroying them properly how does that remove the violation that you believe has occured ?
If I rob a bank and bring the cash back the next day did I break any laws ?