PDA

View Full Version : Lubing the Sig Pro

Joe
05-16-2009, 11:40 PM
I picked up my new sp2022 today and wanted to clean/lube it before taking it to the range the first time. Does anyone have a picture with lube points or a writeup describing where to lube?

dchang0
05-16-2009, 11:55 PM
It's pretty commonsense--lube spring guide rod, trigger pin, firing pin from the back, hammer pin, safety/decock mechanisms, slide guides/grooves. One drop on each is enough.

I typically run the barrel completely clean and dry of lube and don't lube the mag release button.

trapshot68
05-16-2009, 11:56 PM
http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/MaintenanceGuides.aspx

aca72
05-17-2009, 12:46 AM
5. Lightly oil bores of barrel and chamber.
Remove any excess lubricant.

http://www.sauer-waffen.de/uploads/media/SP2022_02gb_08.pdf

Greg-Dawg
05-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Read the manual.

Satex
05-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Lube all friction points. Those should be able to identify by simple disassembly for cleaning. Always use lube sparingly.

BLC
05-17-2009, 12:11 PM
That link to sig is a good resource

hybridatsun350
05-17-2009, 12:36 PM
It's pretty commonsense--lube spring guide rod, trigger pin, firing pin from the back, hammer pin, safety/decock mechanisms, slide guides/grooves. One drop on each is enough.

I typically run the barrel completely clean and dry of lube and don't lube the mag release button.

That's a lot of lube! :eek:

Most of those parts need no more than a quick wipe down. A drop on each of those would have your gun dripping lube.

Dangerous1
05-17-2009, 1:17 PM
I'd put lube on a q-tip and wipe the friction points. If you have enough oil on the q-tip you can press it in between parts and it'll squeeze lube in there as well. And use your finger wet with lube for the outside of the barrel. Also after cleaning the inside of the barrel, I lube the inside lightly then run a couple dry patches through, mostly for rust prevention.

dchang0
05-17-2009, 1:22 PM
That's a lot of lube! :eek:

Most of those parts need no more than a quick wipe down. A drop on each of those would have your gun dripping lube.

LOL--teeny drops, of course.

mtenenhaus
05-17-2009, 1:42 PM
I love my sig pro. Its been incredibly reliable and accurate.

If i'm taking a class or expecting a rather lengthy shooting session I put grease (slide glide) on the rails with a drop of oil (weapon shield) on top, and oil the other moving/friction parts rather liberally. Dont forget to include the outside of the breach / barrel as it is involved in both glide and lock.

I run the slide back and forth a few times and then gently wipe off any excess.

Congratulations and stay safe.

loosewreck
05-17-2009, 5:12 PM
Generally Sigs like and tolerate lots of lube. Personally, I liberally apply Tetra Grease on the slide rails of my Pro then rack the slide a few times wipe of the excess. On the outside of the barrel I rub the grease on with my fingers 'till its transparent. As far as the other friction areas I just try to follow the instructions, but usually tend to keep the parts just lightly oiled, either with Hoppes or Gun Butter gun oils. Usually to apply the oil I use the "a drop on a q-tip" method.

It really depends on how you plan on using your gun. If its gonna be carried, most try to keep their guns close to dry to prevent from attracting lint and dirt, which may lead to a malfunction. If you're going out for a long day of shooting at the range you can run the gun with more lube.

For other Sig Pro info you can refer to Sig Pro FAQ (http://lundestudio.com/SigProFAQ/), by a fellow calgunner Lunde.

WyoDuner
05-20-2009, 9:36 AM
I lube mine the same way as the previous 2 posts. Grease on slide parts and oil on other stuff. Don't forget the barrel and breach/barrel are as was mentioned.