PDA

View Full Version : new glock

Xdis4ME
05-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Just bought a brand new glock 22 with the rough texture grip!! Paid 650 for it now for the ten long days!! Anybody got ideas on some upgrades or parts to get??

Gio
05-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Why, go shoot it then if you are not happy with it upgrade it then. Save your money and buy ammo for it, learn how to use it, field strip it. If you want you can start with the NY trigger it is lighter then CA version. Other then that have fun with it.

-Gio

Fat_Rat
05-16-2009, 10:39 PM
WOW 650 is that what glocks go for now. I have the regular frame or 3rd gen its pretty much stock. Pretty acurate as is.

Eroland7
05-16-2009, 10:40 PM
trijicon night nights. :thumbsup:

Eroland7
05-16-2009, 10:41 PM
WOW 650 is that what glocks go for now. I have the regular frame or 3rd gen its pretty much stock. Pretty acurate as is.

Ya crazy... My first gun was a glock 23 that i purchased about 6 years ago for $395...

DGR_Spec
05-16-2009, 10:44 PM
trijicon night nights. :thumbsup:
or meprolights ;) either way night sights are one real upgrade, buy ammo ( if you can find it for less than an arm and a leg ) and learn to shoot it well. and be able to take her apart and clean it.

Vin496
05-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Ya crazy... My first gun was a glock 23 that i purchased about 6 years ago for $395...

Yeah 1st Glock I ever purchased was a 23. Out the door I paid $400, this was back in 95.

mala in se
05-16-2009, 11:40 PM
go to glockmesiter and pick up essential kits (http://glockmeister.com/index.php?cPath=14_77) that fit your preference. i've got an extended mag release, extended slide release, stainless steel guide rod, and a mepro night sights on my G22 RTF.

sorry to tell you, i paid less for my G22 RTF w/ all the mentioned upgrades as well as shipping than you did. you did pay a lil too much for yours.

Xdis4ME
05-17-2009, 7:18 AM
I'm not really worried about how much i paid!! Their hard to get right now and are on back order. I looked around at my local gun shops and only found three all the same price 579.00 and two were a lil older so i went for the newest one! So out the door with fees it was 650!! Plus i went to a little gun show in my town and people were selling used ones for 525-600 with nothing special about them. So I paid a lil more and I get to be the first to put rounds thru it!!! I know the test fire it but you know what i mean!! Now ammo is my only problem!!!

ERdept
05-17-2009, 7:25 AM
One of the first things I do to any Glock is add factory extended controls and a rocket connector. Then I perform the .25cent trigger job, which is detailed on the net with a Dremel, in which you polish certain points of the trigger and connector system.

Makes the pull a little lighter, but a lot more smoother.

Then sights of choice.

If I really want to go crazy, a KKM drop in barrel. I don't see the diff in groups, but I like the polished look and the fact that it locks up tighter.

Never saw a diff in reliability. Ate everything I put into it even with the KKM barrel.

Oldnoob
05-17-2009, 7:59 AM
Night sight and ammo are all you need for Glock. You can "play" around with tons factory and non-factory parts out there, just remember to switch them back before you go to sleep. :thumbsup:

B Strong
05-17-2009, 8:25 AM
Just bought a brand new glock 22 with the rough texture grip!! Paid 650 for it now for the ten long days!! Anybody got ideas on some upgrades or parts to get??

The one thing that is a must on major caliber Glocks is an aftermarket barrel with a better supported chamber:

http://www.barsto.com/index.cfm

http://www.jarvis-custom.com

Sam1
05-17-2009, 8:33 AM
what gun shop did you buy it from?

Corbin Dallas
05-17-2009, 8:35 AM

You don't need crap.

Glock has essentially worked out all the issues pertaining to unsupported barrels, etc.

If you want night sights, go for it.

Otherwise, leave the weapon completely stock for a 100% reliable firearm. When you start monkeying around with the internal parts adding this and that wizbang the weapon will most likely fail on you.

Congrats on your new Glock.

Xdis4ME
05-17-2009, 8:35 AM
^^^^ Is that for the KB factor that i've been hearing about!!! And do you think its something to do first or after the stock barrel is showing ware and tare?? Thanks for all the input guys!!!

Xdis4ME
05-17-2009, 8:44 AM
what gun shop did you buy it from?

J&G gunsmithing!! In granite bay it used to be in old roseville!!! I went to wild sports and the gun room and a couple others small new and used shops, but like i said I only saw three in G22!! At each shop they said that they didnt know when they were getting more in!! J&G had them back ordered since dec and just got them a week ago!!

till44
05-17-2009, 8:56 AM
If you want you can start with the NY trigger it is lighter then CA version.

Stay away from the NY trigger, the thing is heavier than the standard Glock trigger, the heaviest you can have installed. Makes the trigger pull feel grainy too, enjoy the 5.5 lbs of pull versus the 7.75 lbs of the NY or the 12lbs of the NY plus.

Corbin Dallas
05-17-2009, 9:06 AM
^^^^ Is that for the KB factor that i've been hearing about!!! And do you think its something to do first or after the stock barrel is showing ware and tare?? Thanks for all the input guys!!!

The KB you "hear" about on the net is due to a bad cartridge load.

I don't care what barrel you have in you Glock, if you double charge a load and attempt to shoot it, it will go kaboom. No ifs ands or butts about it.

The early models of the 40S&W from Glock had issues with the locking block and feed ramps. These problems have been well worked out for many years by Glock.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your weapon. The factory trigger, barrel and other parts all work exactly as they should.

The only thing you need to "ADD" to your Glock is YOU and some RANGE TIME. Spend the money you woudl put into a barrel, trigger, night sights, etc... on proper training.

There is nothing more important than the abilty to get on target quickly and to be accurate under pressure.

If all you intend on doing with this weapon is to stand still in a stall and punch holes in some paper, then by all means buy all the gizmo's you want.

If you want to learn how to be effective with that weapon leave it stock and invest in yourself with proper training.

B Strong
05-17-2009, 10:19 AM
You don't need crap.

Glock has essentially worked out all the issues pertaining to unsupported barrels, etc.

Otherwise, leave the weapon completely stock for a 100% reliable firearm. When you start monkeying around with the internal parts adding this and that wizbang the weapon will most likely fail on you.

How so?

I just fit a Barsto to a friend's new G23, and there's no difference between the older barrel throats I've seen, and the one that I replaced.

These are pics of G21 and G30 barrels, you get the idea:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/287/glockbarrels2.jpg

From left: Factory G21, factory G30, unknown manufacturer threaded for compensator G21, Jarvis 6" G21, Wilson Combat G21.

Another view:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4369/glockbarrels.jpg

BLC
05-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Wow, cool! For some odd reason I thought you could not have those here.

Greg-Dawg
05-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Anybody got ideas on some upgrades or parts to get??

Doesn't need any, invest in some self defense handgun training.

loosewreck
05-17-2009, 5:19 PM
Try not to mess with it much 'till you shoot it and figure out really what you plan on using it for.

However if you must, maybe just better sights and a plug (but even this may cause debate). I like the plug just because I feel it helps with magazine insertion. Also lots of mags never hurt. YMMV

pinwheels
05-17-2009, 5:52 PM
The KB you "hear" about on the net is due to a bad cartridge load.

I don't care what barrel you have in you Glock, if you double charge a load and attempt to shoot it, it will go kaboom. No ifs ands or butts about it.

The early models of the 40S&W from Glock had issues with the locking block and feed ramps. These problems have been well worked out for many years by Glock.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your weapon. The factory trigger, barrel and other parts all work exactly as they should.

The only thing you need to "ADD" to your Glock is YOU and some RANGE TIME. Spend the money you woudl put into a barrel, trigger, night sights, etc... on proper training.

There is nothing more important than the abilty to get on target quickly and to be accurate under pressure.

If all you intend on doing with this weapon is to stand still in a stall and punch holes in some paper, then by all means buy all the gizmo's you want.

If you want to learn how to be effective with that weapon leave it stock and invest in yourself with proper training.

+1 on all the above, esp. wrt KBs and the value of range time and training, but with the exception of sights --
It's a personal thing, but I found the goal-post rear sight a distraction and new I'd ultimately want night sights, so immediately went to Trijicons (3-dot). Couldn't be happier.

Enjoy and be safe!:thumbsup:

Black Majik
05-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Good thing about Glocks, parts are cheap and plentiful.

I'll echo the "go shoot it" comments, but look into 3.5# connectors as well. They're a couple bucks, factory Glock connectors are really cheap as well. It'll help lighten up your trigger about a lb. or so, and it'll make you intimately familiar with your new pistol.

ghost
05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
3.5 connector,stainless steel guide rod,and polish the internals of the trigger group.

Gio
05-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Stay away from the NY trigger, the thing is heavier than the standard Glock trigger, the heaviest you can have installed. Makes the trigger pull feel grainy too, enjoy the 5.5 lbs of pull versus the 7.75 lbs of the NY or the 12lbs of the NY plus.

Shhhh! I wanted to see someone actually do it :D :rofl2:

It is a brand new Glock, like others have said as well. Add Night Sight, and ammo and shoot the holy hell out of it. Have fun with your new Glock 22 OP,

-Gio

CaliGunOwner
05-18-2009, 2:12 PM
I usually don't make changes until after I've put about 1000 rounds through a gun. No point in fixin what ain't broke

DMCA
05-18-2009, 2:39 PM
I'm not really worried about how much i paid!! Their hard to get right now and are on back order. I looked around at my local gun shops and only found three all the same price 579.00 and two were a lil older so i went for the newest one! So out the door with fees it was 650!! Plus i went to a little gun show in my town and people were selling used ones for 525-600 with nothing special about them. So I paid a lil more and I get to be the first to put rounds thru it!!! I know the test fire it but you know what i mean!! Now ammo is my only problem!!!

You shouldn't be. Some people will like to tell you they could have bought it for $185 with a 5 year supply of ammo....

You'll likely have it a long time and with the supply and demand situation, it's more or less the going rate.

blackfalcon
05-18-2009, 4:45 PM
I would recommend the extended slide release. It is much easier to maniupulate the slide, but doesn't extend much. It is only a few dollars and definitely worth it. I had it done a couple of years ago at the Costa Mesa Gun Show by the Glock Doctor and he installed it for free. I haven't been to the Costa Mesa Show since early last year, so I don't know if the Glock Doctor still attends.

cineski
05-18-2009, 4:47 PM
Guns are the new gold.

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 5:07 PM
Ya I got the Glock 22RTF for 682 out the door, Its hard to get now a days were I am....

CaptainGlock
05-18-2009, 6:43 PM
The one thing that is a must on major caliber Glocks is an aftermarket barrel with a better supported chamber:

http://www.barsto.com/index.cfm

http://www.jarvis-custom.com

Do you consider .45 ACP and .45 GAP Glocks to be "major caliber?" I use stock barrels in all my .45 Glocks and see no need to do otherwise. I reload for them as well.

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 7:23 PM
Do you consider .45 ACP and .45 GAP Glocks to be "major caliber?" I use stock barrels in all my .45 Glocks and see no need to do otherwise. I reload for them as well.

Captain Glock :King: for your soon to be mine, too, glock collection

BayAreaTactical
05-18-2009, 7:28 PM
yeah 650 is about avg right now in the bay area i would get a tactical light now if i was you. i rock the tlr-2 and love that set up

Rob Roy
05-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Only the night sights. Glocks suit me well as stock.

trinydex
05-19-2009, 12:36 AM
get night sights and leave it a lone.

Bobshouse
05-19-2009, 9:51 AM
You don't need crap.

Uhhhhhh....yeah, right! Here is a pic of my G30 stock barrel (right) and an aftermarket fully supported chamber (left)..

http://mysite.verizon.net/resxhr8l/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/DSCF079122.jpg

Notice the smile from the unsupported chamber in the Glock..that's Glocks famous smile that makes them money from kaBooms!

Definately get yourself an aftermarket barrel. Oh, and btw, this gun was manufactured in late January 2009...

trinydex
05-19-2009, 9:54 AM
does that barrel feed reliably? does it cycle reliably?

Bobshouse
05-19-2009, 9:59 AM
does that barrel feed reliably? does it cycle reliably?

Yes and yes. I've shot hundreds of rounds, round nose and hollow points. No failure to feed or battery problems. I did replace the stock recoil spring with a Wolff 19lb set up though due to problems with the stock set up...but that was before I got the barrel.

CaptainGlock
05-19-2009, 2:54 PM
Uhhhhhh....yeah, right! Here is a pic of my G30 stock barrel (right) and an aftermarket fully supported chamber (left)..

http://mysite.verizon.net/resxhr8l/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/DSCF079122.jpg

Notice the smile from the unsupported chamber in the Glock..that's Glocks famous smile that makes them money from kaBooms!

Definately get yourself an aftermarket barrel. Oh, and btw, this gun was manufactured in late January 2009...

No aftermarket barrels in my .45 Glocks and no "kaBooms!" :rolleyes:

Rob Roy
05-19-2009, 8:55 PM
Nothing aftermarket and no kaBooms here too