PDA

View Full Version : Night Sights or No Night Sights?

glockfu
05-16-2009, 9:38 PM
I know most people like night sights but I never have because other people would be able to see them in the dark as well. I just purchased a glock with factory night sights to try it out but I still have my doubts about them.

What's your take on them? Do you like them or dont you and why?

chefdude
05-16-2009, 9:54 PM
The only way other people will see them is if they are behind you.......then its too late. night sights are great to have, I have them on all my guns and though I have never needed to use them, I know I will be prepared

1*mike
05-16-2009, 9:58 PM
I know most people like night sights but I never have because other people would be able to see them in the dark as well. I just purchased a glock with factory night sights to try it out but I still have my doubts about them.

What's your take on them? Do you like them or dont you and why?

Ever shot n low light conditions or do you intend to? If this is a home defense weapon put a tac light on it. When your light doesnt work, you'll be glad you paid for the night sights. If this is a range gun who cares.

tankerman
05-16-2009, 9:58 PM
If it's so dark that you can't see your sights, how are you going to see what you're shooting at......:rolleyes:

jptsr1
05-16-2009, 10:14 PM
If it's so dark that you can't see your sights, how are you going to see what you're shooting at......:rolleyes:

it dosent have to be pitch black for them to be effective. even in moderate light they are a huge help.

HCz
05-16-2009, 10:14 PM

I guess you are the only one who voted no.

Go take a low light shooting class. It is an eye opener. There are conditions where there are enough lights to identify the target, but not enough to identify the sights.

1*mike
05-16-2009, 10:23 PM

Aim for the muzzle flash...

tankerman
05-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I guess you are the only one who voted no.Now I did, that makes 2.

Sam
05-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Don't rely on night sights as your only low light tool. I may be able to see my night sights but without some other light source I will never know what I'm shooting at. Night sights do rank pretty high on the coolness scale though.

AgentAK
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
EXACTLY why I don't care for them!

NotSoFast
05-16-2009, 11:07 PM
I have a Crimson Trace laser. That and a handheld flashlight is all I need to paint my target at 3:00 a.m. on a moonless night.

dchang0
05-16-2009, 11:51 PM
As long as you're not shooting competition, night sights should be standard equipment on all your pistols, IMO. In bright light, they're unobtrusive. In low light to no light, they're essential.

There are plenty of situations where you're in the pitch dark and your target is partially or wholly illuminated. If not, then you need to improve your tactics!

ironpete
05-17-2009, 12:11 AM
I have night sights on most of my pistols.

1) They are unobtrusive during normal daylight or indoor shooting conditions.
2) I'd rather have them and not need them than not have them and need them.

I mean for the price difference (sometimes $30 on a $600 pistol), why the heck not? Calculate total cost of ownership and for the price of a box of ammo you have that little extra. Why skimp?

Yes, proper training is tons more important than hardware but I don't know that I would skimp on either especially if I was going to bet my life on it.

-pete

jimrod
05-17-2009, 6:03 PM
I know most people like night sights but I never have because other people would be able to see them in the dark as well.

The only person that is going to see your night sights is you, unless its the perp behind you that you didn't see. Night sights are perfect for night work and great for indoor ranges.

tankerman
05-17-2009, 6:07 PM
There are plenty of situations where you're in the pitch dark and your target is partially or wholly illuminated. If not, then you need to improve your tactics!
Sorry but defensive situations do not generally afford you the opportunity of picking your surroundings.

Excuse me.... uhh, could you move to the left a little, while I add some back lighting.....it will just be a moment, then I'll get right back to you, thanks.

colossians323
05-17-2009, 6:10 PM
They're great for target shooting at dusk:thumbsup:

hybridatsun350
05-17-2009, 6:14 PM
Night sights are awesome. I'd have them on all of my guns if I could.

Tillers_Rule
05-17-2009, 8:03 PM
I love the Tritium sights on my CZ, best sights off all my handguns.

glockfu
05-17-2009, 8:18 PM
Thanks for all your replies. And for those that have asked... It's on a Glock 26 (Sub compact). So it is for self defense conceled carry.

The perp behind you that you missed is exactly my concern.

What about law enforcement, do you all use night sights?

Rob Roy
05-17-2009, 8:27 PM
IMO, must have faeture.

Vin496
05-17-2009, 8:55 PM
Thanks for all your replies. And for those that have asked... It's on a Glock 26 (Sub compact). So it is for self defense conceled carry.

The perp behind you that you missed is exactly my concern.

What about law enforcement, do you all use night sights?

You are aware that NS are not these big light producing machines. I can not see in any way how a NS could give you away, unless you are in some completely dark situation(can't see your hand 1 foot from your face), multilevel open structure. In that

OH CRAP EARTHQUAKE!!!!!!!

all seems ok now.

The glow given off of them, is barely enough to allow you to line the dots up. Your concern for them giving you away, is fairly absurd.

Jonathan Doe
05-17-2009, 8:57 PM
I have night sights on my on and off duty pistols. I'd rather have the night sights than lights or lasers.

JagerTroop
05-17-2009, 9:08 PM
I've never had a pistol with NS. That's why my home defense weapon is a 12ga. with a tac light.
It's easy. Whatever is illuminated gets peppered:D

bigcalidave
05-17-2009, 9:09 PM
lol. WTF. was there just an earthquake?

google, yep.. 5.0 in LA

Eroland7
05-17-2009, 9:09 PM
trijicon night sight were the first thing i did to my glock 23...

masameet
05-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Night sights last, what, 5 years at the most?

Since very few of us will ever shoot anybody in real life, whether in daylight or nighttime, in defense of our and/or our loved ones' lives, I guess having NS is a good thing to have just in case. Anyway some months back I enjoyed sighting with the ones on a friend's Sig 239 in shooting at an indoor range.

dchang0
05-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Sorry but defensive situations do not generally afford you the opportunity of picking your surroundings.

Excuse me.... uhh, could you move to the left a little, while I add some back lighting.....it will just be a moment, then I'll get right back to you, thanks.

So, you're saying that you're not going to try to improve your situation/position/advantage when you find yourself in combat? You're just going to stand there and let him/her outmaneuver you and get into a better position to kill you? Accept the surroundings you're in, as they've been given to you?

I took a Suarez Int'l Close Range Gunfighting course a few months ago with a fellow Calgunner. The biggest thing they taught was to MOVE and "get off the X" when you find yourself in a gunfight. Improve your situation and gain an advantage. If that means running into the darkness or running to get some light behind your enemy, framing him in light like a black silhouette target, then do it!

(Or do the obvious thing: buy a weapon-mounted light and carry a flashlight as a spare.)

Vin496
05-17-2009, 11:46 PM

10 years is the average life span of tritium sights. I have a set on a 11 year old Sig, that still glow, but it has to be very very dark to see them anymore.

Sam
05-17-2009, 11:53 PM

Yeah and they cost a couple of hundred bucks at the most. Spread that couple hundred dollars over 5 years and it gets pretty cost effective.

pinwheels
05-18-2009, 12:24 AM
My logic, thankfully not based on first hand experience . . .
Daylight - I like three dots along with the iron
Indoor Range - Target is lit and I've got other lights off, so just iron sights - works fine.
Dusk/dimly lit interior (HD mode) - That's when the tritium really pays off.
No light - Being able to see the night sights does little good if you can't see the target. Time for a tac light. But no worries about the night sights giving you away like a laser would.

GTR645
05-18-2009, 12:33 AM

Since very few of us will ever shoot anybody in real life, whether in daylight or nighttime, in defense of our and/or our loved ones' lives, I guess having NS is a good thing to have just in case. Anyway some months back I enjoyed sighting with the ones on a friend's Sig 239 in shooting at an indoor range.
The half-life of tritium is a little over 12 years. However, it depends on the manufacturer's date and how long those sights have been on the shelf.

B Strong
05-18-2009, 6:23 AM
Nights are a must have.

thefurball
05-18-2009, 6:45 AM
I like them. There is simply something comforting at 0300 when I roll over and see those three soft green dots glowing at me from the night stand.

I would be more worried about someone using your flashlight beam as an aim point.

AgentAK
05-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I like them. There is simply something comforting at 0300 when I roll over and see those three soft green dots glowing at me from the night stand.

I would be more worried about someone using your flashlight beam as an aim point.

Which is exactly why I don't like weapons lights. Well, that and the fact that if you hear a noise and go investigate, you're pointing a loaded weapon as a light. People need to practice tactical flashlight precedures. Remember, a blinding light can also be a useful weapon to gain an advantage.

xxdabroxx
05-18-2009, 1:12 PM
I would argue that a weapon mounted light illuminates more than what the muzzle covers.

PolishMike
05-18-2009, 1:13 PM
There is no downside to good night sights.

glockfu
05-18-2009, 5:51 PM
Alright, you guys have convinced me to hang on to it. I was waiting to decide if I wanted to keep it before I went to the range.

Now I can go test this baby out! :thumbsup: