PDA

View Full Version : H. R. 2401 McCarthy "No Fly, No Buy Act of 2009"

Librarian
05-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Sigh. Carolyn is at it again.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:h.r.02401:

Introduced May 13 (H/T to Sindawe at THR)
To increase public safety and reduce the threat to domestic security by including persons who may be prevented from boarding an aircraft in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, and for other purposes.
Status: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary, where one hopes it will die a quiet and ugly death.

kermit315
05-16-2009, 12:31 PM
nothing like deprivation of rights without due process.

dustoff31
05-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't have a link or a quote for this, but on Fox news yesterday they reported that even the FBI said they were opposed to this bill, if for no other reason, the known 35% error rate on the No-Fly list.

Legasat
05-16-2009, 2:06 PM
They just won't be happy untill ALL of our rights are trampled on.

It's already a real pain to fly (I do a lot of it). This can only make things worse, NOT safer.

gunsmith
05-16-2009, 2:17 PM
another go nowhere bill by one heck of a loser.
maybe we should campaign for her, LOL!
She has got to be one of our most incompetent legislators, if all she does is introduce anti bills that go nowhere she could be useful to siphon off funds that could go to competent enemies.

We could use her the way anti gun people use that fraud and huckster Alex Jones.

Alex Jones is a leech sucking off $ that could go to people actually winning Court cases, anti gun people probably cheer him and his crazy/stupid followers on.

McCarthy is such a loser and moron, maybe we shouldn't be so keen on replacing her.

mister dize
05-16-2009, 3:30 PM
What if you sign up for that CLEAR security sham? Can you buy guns in any quantity you want? Only seems fair. :43:

Outlaw Josey Wales
05-16-2009, 4:25 PM
nothing like deprivation of rights without due process.

Audit: FBI slow to update terror watch list
Devlin Barrett, Associated Press

Thursday, May 7, 2009

(05-07) 04:00 PDT Washington - --

The FBI has been slow to update the national terror suspect watch list - and the lapses pose real risks to U.S. security, a Justice Department audit has found.

A report by the Justice Department's inspector general, Glenn Fine, found that 12 terror suspects who were either not watch-listed or were slow to be added to the list may have traveled into or out of the United States during the period when they were not placed on the list.

Auditors also found significant delays in taking people off the list once they were no longer considered suspects.

The watch list, which is used to screen people entering the United States and by local law enforcement, contains more than 1.1 million names.

In 15 percent of the cases auditors reviewed, subjects were not nominated to the watch list, contrary to FBI policy.

"The failure to place appropriate individuals on the watch list, or the failure to place them on the watch list in a timely manner, increases the risk that these individuals are able to enter and move freely about the country," the report concluded.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said the issues have been addressed and her agency is publicly committed to working with the Justice Department "as a shared mission of protecting this country is paramount," said Sara Kuban, a spokeswoman for Napolitano.

In 2 of every 3 cases the auditors examined, the FBI failed to update information in the watch list as required.

FBI Assistant Director John Miller said the bureau has already taken steps to improve the system.

"The FBI has implemented measures to address all 16 recommendations identified by the (inspector general), which are all now resolved," Miller said in a statement.

As slow as names were added to the watch list, they were also slow to be removed.

In 8 percent of cases, the FBI failed to remove subjects from the list as required, according to the report.

And in almost 3 out of 4 cases reviewed, the FBI failed to remove a name from the watch list in a timely fashion, the auditors found.

That rankles privacy advocates who long have complained that the system is slow to clear innocent people, who face delays when traveling and other difficulties.

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said one person had remained on the list five years after the person's case had been closed.

"Given the very real and negative consequences to which people on the watch list are subjected, this is unacceptable," Leahy said in a statement.

The terror watch list was created in 2004 to combine information from many different government agencies. The FBI is charged with managing the list.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/07/MNUF17FSKA.DTL

This article appeared on page A - 7 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Midian
05-16-2009, 5:17 PM
I can't believe they are still running around waving the terrorist fear banner. When your southern border is wide open like a drunk girl's gaping maw on prom night, it really makes you wonder if there really is an external threat other than people taking advantage of our government's idiocy and appalling laziness.

gunsmith
05-17-2009, 3:35 AM
I can't believe they are still running around waving the terrorist fear banner. When your southern border is wide open like a drunk girl's gaping maw on prom night, it really makes you wonder if there really is an external threat other than people taking advantage of our government's idiocy and appalling laziness.

gov't idiocy and apathy are our worst enemies...I agree...
Say, you don't have that drunk girls number handy, do ya?

Eckolaker
05-18-2009, 11:11 AM
We need to stop assuming these bills will die. We ALL must understand that the sheer fact these bills are being written and introduced should be enough for us to demand answers.

Librarian
05-18-2009, 12:23 PM
We need to stop assuming these bills will die. We ALL must understand that the sheer fact these bills are being written and introduced should be enough for us to demand answers.

I don't believe anyone is merely 'assuming' these bills will die. That's why they get posts and links to their content, so they can be watched.

And what kind of answer can you demand from Carolyn McCarthy (GFW-NY)? What do you get from Feinstein, Boxer, Pelosi, Schumer, George Miller et al?

Unless you can affect their re-election, they're not listening.

MrBi11
05-18-2009, 7:02 PM
That's the thing that goes up right?

deleted by PC police
05-18-2009, 7:10 PM
I thought they were against the no fly list??? But it's ok to use it to deny 2A rights with it. The Left never ceases to amaze me.

Hopi
05-18-2009, 7:13 PM
I thought they were against the no fly list??? But it's ok to use it to deny 2A rights with it. The Left never ceases to amaze me.

LOL.
huge +1, i was just thinking the same thing....

How can you check to make sure you're not on the list?

lioneaglegriffin
05-18-2009, 7:50 PM
LOL.
huge +1, i was just thinking the same thing....

How can you check to make sure you're not on the list?

you can get off the list if you set aside time to do it. the list is useless. I worked for the TSA and only once did i feel i was contributing to National security.

hawk1
05-18-2009, 8:13 PM
I hope it dies a very loud death...
Some people need to realize who the hell they are voting for.