PDA

View Full Version : Who's eligible and where can you shoot full auto in CA?

DMCA
05-16-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm being disingenuous in the sense that I know where you can shoot a full auto AK, AR etc., or at least, where I know people have.

Does a class 3 license in CA legally enable you to possess, transport and shoot these devices?

BaronW
05-16-2009, 1:04 PM
There's no "class 3 license." Federally, there's a Class 3 Dealer that can transfer Title II weapons. I think the permit to have full-auto and other goodies in CA is called a special weapons permit and you pretty much have to be a movie studio or senator to get it.

I went to Vegas to rent an MP-5, it was a lot of fun.

Quiet
05-16-2009, 5:23 PM
(just covering MGs, since that's what the OP asked about)

You need to find a FFL/SOT dealer in CA. (good luck, not many in CA)

Afterwards, you need to submit a Dangerous Weapons permit/license for a MG to CA DOJ BOF. (good luck, you have a slim to no chance of getting approved, all depends on your profession)

If you get approved, you can then submit a Form 4 for a pre-'86 MG to the BATFE. (current average wait time is 3 months)

If you get approved, you can then aquire a pre-'86 MG. (expect to pay around $10,000-15,000 for a used pre-'86 AK or AR)

After you aquire your pre-'86 MG, you need to register is with CA DOJ BOF. You also need to register location of where the MG will be stored and register what vehicles the MG will be transported in. Storing and/or transporting the MG in a non-registered location/vehicle is grounds for revocation of your Dangerous Weapons permit/license and confiscation of the MG.
You also need to pay a yearly registration fee for the MG and are subject to CA DOJ BOF inspection audits.

CSACANNONEER
05-16-2009, 5:28 PM
I've shot a few at the range I used to work at in Agoura. I knew several federal agents that used to shoot there so, they would let me shoot their issued weapons on occassion. If the gun is legally owned it can legally be fired at any range in Ca unless, the range has a policy forbidding it and many do.

snake eater 138
05-16-2009, 5:53 PM
angeles shooting range in LA

DMCA
05-16-2009, 6:24 PM
After I had heard the rounds being fired at the particular range I was attending, I asked the rangemaster which "department" they were from, presuming they were LE.

He indicated they were civilian and from what I could tell, they were shooting contemporary AK and M4 type guns. Firing off lots of rounds in 10-20 shot bursts, I might add.

An there I was, conserving my .40 and 9mm supply!

CSACANNONEER
05-16-2009, 7:11 PM
angeles shooting range in LA

I don't think Angeles allows FA fire on the public range. There is a LE range there where certain LEAs do fire FA though.