PDA

View Full Version : FFL to install gas pistons?

Capt. Speirs
05-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Do I need an FFL to sell retail and install AR gas piston kits for customers?

bohoki
05-16-2009, 10:41 AM
possibly

don't have them bring in their lowers and then you are just working on "parts" and not "guns"

freakshow10mm
05-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Dealing in parts requires no FFL.

Like bohoki said, have them bring or send you their upper, retrofit it, send it back. Test the upper on your lower.

Capt. Speirs
05-16-2009, 5:52 PM
Dealing in parts requires no FFL.

Like bohoki said, have them bring or send you their upper, retrofit it, send it back. Test the upper on your lower.

thanks guys for the quick response.

The Custard Pirate
05-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Persons doing gunsmithing work require a FFL. Yes, I know, your best bud has been doing it for years w/o one. That just means ATF has bigger fish to fry not that it is legal.

PolishMike
05-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Persons doing gunsmithing work require a FFL. Yes, I know, your best bud has been doing it for years w/o one. That just means ATF has bigger fish to fry not that it is legal.

Not if their not working on firearms. (an upper is NOT a firearm)

The Custard Pirate
05-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Surf into this site, read the second paragraph:

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=70

Hiring a defense lawyer will cost you $5k up front, win or lose. That's just for a start. Figure $10k for trial defense and another $10k for appeals.

bohoki
05-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Surf into this site, read the second paragraph:

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=70

Hiring a defense lawyer will cost you $5k up front, win or lose. That's just for a start. Figure $10k for trial defense and another $10k for appeals.

if you only work on the upper you are not fitting a barrel to a firearm the customer is when they attach the upper to their firearm

do you need to have an ffl to make stocks?

freakshow10mm
05-17-2009, 12:54 PM
If you are not touching a receiver or firearm that is not yours, you don't need an FFL. You are fitting a non firearm part into a non firearm part.

bohoki
05-17-2009, 3:45 PM
the ar-15 is an odd little beastie

i bet the atf had a little debate on which is the receiver when it came out

the sks trigger group isnt the reciever the thing that the bolt slides around and has the barrel attached is

i wonder how life would be if the upper was the controlled part

The Custard Pirate
05-17-2009, 5:47 PM
if you only work on the upper you are not fitting a barrel to a firearm the customer is when they attach the upper to their firearm

do you need to have an ffl to make stocks?

Not too long ago, the ATF tried to do just that with respect to people who build muzzle loading firearms. A compromise was reached whereby if one made no more than a dozen muzzleloaders a year, no FFL was needed, otherwise it was.

The originator of this thread is free to do as he pleases. The laws on the matter are somewhat vague. Maybe he wishes to spend years in court over the matter rather than pay a $200 fee for an FFL. Maybe he will slip thru the cracks and never be noticed. It is up to him.