PDA

View Full Version : Boots question.

AT'sGCSRT8
05-16-2009, 9:44 AM
I need help finding a good pair of boots for the academy. The requirements are that they must be black, with plain round toe, and be the lace up type but can have a side zipper. They have to be capable of attaining a hi-gloss spit shine and can be 3/4 tall or have full length uppers. I am looking for something light and very breathable as it will be in the upper 90s-100s out during the academy. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

nobody33
05-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Just go get some magnums. They fit that... then toss them out and get Danners for patrol. Danners are too heavy for the academy.

sgtbuck
05-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Just go get some magnums. They fit that... then toss them out and get Danners for patrol. Danners are too heavy for the academy.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

CaptMike
05-16-2009, 11:40 AM
like nobody said above, the magnum stealth 2 are perfect for the academy. you should buy two pairs for the academy so you can shine one while you wear the other pair. once the academy is over then just buy danners or the expensive Bates for duty use. good luck in the Academy and stay safe

AT'sGCSRT8
05-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys!

yzernie
05-16-2009, 12:44 PM
As you grow older you'll appreciate wearing a good set(s) of boots during your younger years. 30+ and no foot problems!! :thumbsup:

CSDGuy
05-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Agreed. Once you're out on patrol, you really should get some good boots. I was a Paramedic, but I was on my feet all day. With some good boots, my feet were tired at the end of the day, but no blisters, sore spots, no problems! I've worn Hi-Tec Magnum boots. They kind of felt like high-top running shoes. I've never had a pair that lasted more than about a year though. They were pretty cheap... ought to be perfect for your purposes!

AT'sGCSRT8
05-16-2009, 2:43 PM
I found some Magnum Stealth IIs for $34.99 from here if anyone else is looking. http://www.lapolicegear.com/. Thanks again for the help guys.

Jonathan Doe
05-16-2009, 2:50 PM
I used Rocky boots. The ones I used felt like a pair of tennis shoes and very light with good ankle support. I bought 2 pairs and alternated them. It gave me good service for a long time.

heyeugenio
05-16-2009, 2:56 PM
I used Magnums for everyday and had a set of shiny Bates' for inspections. You can shine up both of them but the Bates already very shiny from the get go. Inspections were NO JOKE hence 2 pairs of shoes AND if you live by a shoe shine place USE them the $5+ dollars you spend there will save time and even your Magnums can be "see yourself in them" shiny.

Just my .02

BigDogatPlay
05-16-2009, 7:17 PM
I wore a pair of chukkas in the academy. They shined real pretty and were comfortable to wear all day. No real ankle support with them, but back then we didn't do very much physical work in our academy blues.

Out in the field Danners, and later on Rockys. The Rocky medium height was the bomb for me. My feet were never wet, never cold, never hot and never sore.

Pryde
05-16-2009, 10:18 PM
I am issued magnums and I f**kin hate them. Not breathable, not durable, made in China, crap.

I wear my old Altama Jungle Boots that were issued to me in boot camp. They are almost a decade old and still chugging along, feel great to wear all day.

12gauge12
05-16-2009, 10:22 PM
I am not a LEO, but use bates boots for hunting and love them.

CaliTheKid
05-17-2009, 12:09 AM
The new Danner APB's. Best. Boot. Ever.

Sturdy lower of an Arcadia and lighter upper of the GTX. No break in period. I got a pair two weeks ago to replace my GTX's which lasted 5 years. I love them.

Shoe Buy has them at 15% summer sale special. No tax. Free shipping. Great deal.

http://www.shoebuy.com/danner-danner-apb/299703

DANGERCLOSE
05-17-2009, 12:30 AM
for me at least i would go +10 with the magnums / hitecs

-1 for the rockies
-5 for the bates

bates fell apart after 3 months of using on the job. stitching came undone and there was some separation between the upper and sole. maybe i am being prejudiced about the magnums because i have been wearing them since they first came out while in the USMC. i buy them myself for duty even when issued 511 boots. if i remember correctly, bates makes the 511 boots for them? when trying to look pimp in uniform, i would have to hand it to bates lites. been wearing those since boot camp. i wouldn't mind trying some swat boots and warrior wear ones.

DANGERCLOSE
05-17-2009, 12:32 AM
oh, almost forgot. the other most important half of footwear is to get some very good boot socks. trust me on that.

Tarmac02
05-17-2009, 10:22 AM
I wear the 511 zip side when I really have to be in compliance.

Any other time I wear the Adidas gsg-9. Spending the last ten years in boots I can say these are by far the most comfortable boots I've worn... just wish they were a little better at being non-slip. I good scrubbing of surf wax on the bottom of the boot solves that though.

Triad
05-17-2009, 10:40 AM
...I wear the Adidas gsg-9.

This.

I cannot stress how awesome these boots are. I bought 4 pair a year ago when there was a good sale going.

Still working on my first set and they are as comfortable as ever...cant really polish them to a mirror shine however

sergeantrex
05-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Hmmm Lemme guess your goin to work for CDCR. The description you gave is right out of D.O.M. Departmental Operation Manual.

For the record I wear Danners.

1911su16b870
05-18-2009, 8:27 AM
I like my 5.11 6-in boots for duty. They shine up very nicely.

AT'sGCSRT8
05-18-2009, 4:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I should have the magnums in a day or so, and will report back if I like them or not.

islandchanel
05-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Hands down the best boot is the Bates "Ultra light" checkout all the reviews at inland uniforms. I personally think danners and rocky's are too heavy. The bates cost me around $60-$70 dollars. Everyone I know who has bought a pair will never go back. After about 5 coats of polish they shined like no other. One last thing a little help for you. Go to a Home depot and buy a bottle of Mop and Glow and some cotton balls. Once you have a good shine on them take a little mop and glo on a cotton ball and wipe it all over the boot. It doesnt crack and when you go to polish them the next time it has no effect on polishing.

Tarmac02
05-20-2009, 7:30 AM
This.

I cannot stress how awesome these boots are. I bought 4 pair a year ago when there was a good sale going.

Still working on my first set and they are as comfortable as ever...cant really polish them to a mirror shine however

During my time in the Marine Corps and then in the department.... my reply to anyone commenting on the condition of my boots.

"The beauty of my footwear is no indication of my job performance. In fact, in my line of work, the better my boots look is probably an indication of my lack of proactive policing."

solanoshooter
05-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Any quality boot can be spit shined to a high gloss. It just takes a while and is a pain.

I wore Rocky's in the academy. They were very comfortable once broken in. Still have them. Treated the with Leather Luster and now only wear them with class A. Do not use Leather Luster while in the academy though, you'll be pushing for days!

Since the academy, I've tried quite a few. Bates, Magnum, SWAT, 5.11, even Galls. I finally bought a pair of Danners and they are awesome. Worth every penny. The lightweight Danners would be fine for the academy. I think they are called GSX but I can't remember off the top of my head.

If you are concerned about your spit shine and hate doing it as much as I did, buy a second cheap pair of boots for d-tac if you can afford it.

Of the boots I've worn, 5.11 by far wore out the fastest. The inside lining deteriorated to almost nothing in record time.

tnh10
05-23-2009, 10:43 AM
This is a wonderful thread. Thanks for the info guys.

veeklog
05-23-2009, 4:07 PM

+1 for the Magnums. Keep them until you start working, then go to the Danners. Buy the boots a few weeks before graduation because they take awhile to break in (at least for me, anyway). You don't want your feet to hurt on your first day on Patrol. Once broken in, Danners fit like a glove.

bronco1500
05-27-2009, 7:08 PM
"Leather luster" if done right will be your best friend when it comes to a good quality spit shine

Spyder
05-29-2009, 8:18 PM
I've got two pair of Magnums that I like a lot. Not love, but like 'em and am very happy with them for fifty bucks a piece. They shine up fairly well and are comfortable for all day wear, even during our early inspections and long range days.

BUY GOOD SOCKS!!! The absolute best boot socks I have found yet are Thorogoods. They're made in the USA and are about 8 bucks a pair, but they're freaking awesome. They breath well, come out of the boot dry at the end of the day, have antibacterial something so that they don't stink and are ungodly comfortable. And they seem to last forever too. When I quit my Federal job I used the last of my uniform allowance to stock up on these socks and I haven't had to buy any new socks yet. They're awesome. Thick and comfy and breathy and comfy and...can't say enough good about 'em!

Ron-Solo
05-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Don't buy "Response Gear" boots. They are JUNK. I bought a pair when I was short on cash and they wore out in about 8 months and never took a deceny shine.

I've had great luck with Rockys and Magnums.

Good Luck !

larryb
06-06-2009, 7:13 PM
I am a Danner Acadia guy myself. I have several pairs with three different levels of insulation for each season. I am going to try the Danner APB next time around.

mr.elite
06-08-2009, 7:48 AM
Danners are way to heavy for my taste. especially for the academy. Bates or 5.11.

PolishMike
06-08-2009, 7:58 AM
Not a LEO but a big +1 for bates lites. Ive been wearing them for MC training and they are definitely the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.

12gauge12
11-24-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm about to become an EMT, has anyone tried any of the boot from Oakley?

retired
11-25-2009, 12:38 PM
I used Rockies and they were pretty comfortable; in fact, I still have them tho retired, but do not use them very much.

As far as paying $5 to have someone shine them, we did things differently. God made trustys for our shoe shine use (not in the academy of course).:D Put the boots in the rack or give them to the trusty. Return to duty the next day and they are nice and shiny. A couple of dollars did the trick.:D

mej16489
11-25-2009, 1:28 PM
I'm about to become an EMT, has anyone tried any of the boot from Oakley?

I used to love the old Oakley 'Special Forces' - Superb quality and worth every penny of the $200 to $250 they cost.

Unfortunately their current boots, which are direct descendants, are horrible. I've gone through 2 pair in less then a year. Whereas the old model last me 5+ years,

I'm lookin at something from 5.11 Tactical now...

larryb
11-25-2009, 4:29 PM
I have 3 sets(uninsulated, 200gm and 400gm) of Danner Acadia boots , 5.11 ATAC and 5.11 XPRT Patrol. I love the Danners, only downside is they are heavy but last forever. The 5.11 ATACS are great summer and all around very comfortable boots, light as a feather. The 5.11 XPRT Patrol boot just plain sucks in my opinion compared to the ATAC, uncomfortable and extremely noisy heel on concrete.

retired
11-25-2009, 5:02 PM
Since we are talking about boots, I have a little funny on me I'd like to share.

I dont' know what brand they were, but they had zippers on the side. After I had them for a couple of years, the zippers would start falling down a bit. I should have either had them fixed or bought a new pair, but I didn't until one day.....

I got in a foot pursuit of a 459 suspect at a grocery store. While I was chasing him (he finally stopped at the church when he saw the minister), I literally stepped out of one of the shoes.:eek: The zipper had fallen all the way down. Since I was afraid the kid would take off, I put it back on quickly and hobbled over to him without zipping it up. After I cuffed him, I did. :o:D

Bought some new boots the next day.

Axewound
11-25-2009, 6:11 PM
ha ha i got issued Danners, yes it sucks to run in them

mej16489
11-25-2009, 7:18 PM
Since we are talking about boots, I have a little funny on me I'd like to share.

I dont' know what brand they were, but they had zippers on the side. After I had them for a couple of years, the zippers would start falling down a bit. I should have either had them fixed or bought a new pair, but I didn't until one day.....

I got in a foot pursuit of a 459 suspect at a grocery store. While I was chasing him (he finally stopped at the church when he saw the minister), I literally stepped out of one of the shoes.:eek: The zipper had fallen all the way down. Since I was afraid the kid would take off, I put it back on quickly and hobbled over to him without zipping it up. After I cuffed him, I did. :o:D

Bought some new boots the next day.

Ugh, bad memories of getting my boot laces caught on the top of a 6' chain link fence resulting in a direct faceplant into a concrete park bench :(

retired
11-25-2009, 7:37 PM
Ugh, bad memories of getting my boot laces caught on the top of a 6' chain link fence resulting in a direct faceplant into a concrete park bench :(

You win.:eek: (or lose depending how you want to look at it;))

AdiosKali
11-26-2009, 5:11 AM
Thumbs down for 5.11's. The stitching on mine is falling apart in the back side of the boot. I am in the market for a new pair of boots.

mej16489
11-26-2009, 6:26 AM
Are you referencing a particular model AdiosKali?

Swatguy10_15
11-26-2009, 7:08 AM
Ive been wearing rockys (the paratrooper style) and love them. In law and enforcement and EMS I spend alot of time on my feet and they are very comfortable and sturdy. They also have the reinforced toe with a little higher grade (per say) of leather and are easily polished to a very high gloss.

franco802
11-26-2009, 11:16 AM

^Good advice, I did the same back then.

I have used the Bates 8 Inch DuraShocks for the past 3 years on patrol. Best boots I have ever owned. I have had Danners in the past, they are great. But the Bates Durashocks are by far the most comfortable. You can have them resoled as well and the boots only cost 100 bucks.

fal_762x51
11-27-2009, 12:53 AM
I like my Danners.

pistolero805
12-01-2009, 1:55 PM
Danner Acadia or the Danner Patrol (same as acadia but 6") and under armor socks.