PDA

View Full Version : Storage Fees on PPT

halifax
05-16-2009, 5:31 AM
According to this Information Bulletin, a dealer may begin collecting storage fees after the 10-day hold as long as they are clearly posted and not represented as any government fee. There is no limit on these storage fees!

FD 2001-01 (3/26/2001)Requirement for Firearms Dealers to Conduct Private Party Transfers / Allowable Fees (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/0101.pdf)

2. Subsequent to the end of the 10-day waiting period or one business day following the notification of the purchaser that his/her DROS has been released from a DOJ required “hold”, the dealer may charge a storage fee. However, such fees must be clearly posted and may not be misrepresented as any governmental fee.

So these dealers who charge > $35 for PPT can change their policy and post anything they want, without limit, to discourage PPTs; let's just say $100/minute for storage fee?

Wow. Am I reading this wrong?

CABilly
05-16-2009, 6:33 AM
I like that. I've seen places that will charge extra up front and call it a storage fee. I'll bring this up next time, since there's really not a whole lot that's going to keep me from being there on time to pick my gun up (unless they have their own policy extending the wait to 11 days).

But, as with everything else, I'm sure they'll find some other way to stick it to the customers.

*No, I do not think every FFL and shop looking to squeaze every last drop out of their customers. There's no denying that the existence of that variety, though.

berto
05-16-2009, 12:22 PM
The relevant passage states:

Subsequent to the end of the 10-day waiting period or one business day following the notification of the purchaser that his/her DROS has been released from a DOJ required “hold”, the dealer may charge a storage fee. However, such fees must be clearly posted and may not be misrepresented as any governmental fee.

Not too big a deal since many of us pick up ASAP. The policy memo comes from 2001 and in 8 years there hasn't been a whole lot of complaints about this storage fee.

Dont Tread on Me
05-16-2009, 1:10 PM
I'm pretty sure target masters charged me storage fees on a PPT during the ten day wait. I could be mis remembering.

Anyway, the great thing about a free market is that if a store charged an unreasonable fee, we'd ***** about it here and the store would be empty.

trashman
05-16-2009, 1:58 PM
Tabor's has a ~$15-25 "paperwork" or "storage" fee or something that he tacks onto store gun transactions. I recall hearing that his lawyer said it was ok, so ... It is what it is.

Sportsmen's Supply throws in an additional ~$40 in fees for a PPT. They charge for the Safety Demo, IIRC.

All in all, it's not a huge deal -- but anymore, buying guns is like buying a damn car. If you're wanting to maximize your dollars, you are going spend more than your $$$ in time trying to find FFLs that don't charge these extra fees.

--Neill

Inoxmark
05-16-2009, 2:09 PM
Targetmasters does have a storage fee, but it doesn't kick in until a few (don't recall exactly how many) days past your pick up day. I consider this a fair policy.
I did a PPT at Tabor some time last year, was charged $35. They were efficient and courteous, great experience overall.

DDT
05-16-2009, 2:52 PM
Targetmasters does have a storage fee, but it doesn't kick in until a few (don't recall exactly how many) days past your pick up day. I consider this a fair policy.
I did a PPT at Tabor some time last year, was charged $35. They were efficient and courteous, great experience overall.

Excellent to hear a good report of fair practices. I think an FFL should charge for people who don't pick up their guns in a reasonable timeframe. It is an expense above and beyond that being forced upon them by the state.