PDA

View Full Version : .45 ACP Barrel Life

jimrod
05-15-2009, 8:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any insight into .45 ACP barrel life, assuming only standard pressure rounds (non +P) were fired through it. I understand that the .45 ACP is fairly low pressure and subsonic, so I would expect the wear and errosion to be be low and average barrel life to be pretty high. So what do you guys think would be the the approximate barrel life in rounds. :confused:

bohoki
05-15-2009, 8:47 PM
one shot a day for eternity

or infinate shots one day

BunnySlayer
05-15-2009, 8:49 PM
Assuming a 1911 or clone is the gun your asking about your barrel should last longer than the gun. Your frame will probably crack before you need to worry about the barrel.

ejor
05-15-2009, 9:02 PM
There's a guy on the 1911 fourm with a 2 year old Les Baer with 15,825 rounds on it. He state's "Just as accurate as the day he got it". Seems to support your opinion of low wear and erosion. probably compitition guns out there with more than that.

JJ1911
05-15-2009, 9:04 PM
Frame or slide stop has a higher chance of cracking than the barrel ever will.

jimrod
05-15-2009, 10:18 PM
There's a guy on the 1911 fourm with a 2 year old Les Baer with 15,825 rounds on it. He state's "Just as accurate as the day he got it". Seems to support your opinion of low wear and erosion. probably compitition guns out there with more than that.

Wow! Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

CalNRA
05-15-2009, 11:07 PM
it's not unusual to see competitive shooters that put 50k+ on a gun before even thinking about a replacement barrel especially for training guns.(with proper care of course)

Of course if you shoot that much you would actually catch up to the accuracy of the gun. :)

B Strong
05-16-2009, 5:55 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any insight into .45 ACP barrel life, assuming only standard pressure rounds (non +P) were fired through it. I understand that the .45 ACP is fairly low pressure and subsonic, so I would expect the wear and errosion to be be low and average barrel life to be pretty high. So what do you guys think would be the the approximate barrel life in rounds. :confused:

I have .45's that have gone 20K + rounds down the pipe with no visible wear or damage to the bore or throat.

250 rounds a week for a period of years adds up.

It's not something to concern yourself with.

Kruzr
05-16-2009, 9:03 AM
You should easily get over 50K rounds of standard pressure .45 through a barrel without any issues.

I have a Kimber with over 45K rounds through it and it shoots just fine. One of my Baers has over 20K down it and it's as accurate as it was when new.

The range rental 1911's go over 90K typically (and they are getting very smooth at that round count. :) )

jimrod
05-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Wow that is some serious round counts you guys are quoting. Thanks for the info.

CalNRA
05-16-2009, 11:44 PM
I only have one 45acp barrel that has been around long enough to see lots of rounds(when I first got it domestic 45ACP like CCI Blazer Aluminum was about 15 cents a round:eek:) and I would get it has seen about 15-20k and it shoots fine, and I'm not the greatest gun cleaner either. :)

JTROKS
05-17-2009, 12:39 AM
The 45acp is a low pressure round and if you reload and use powder in the fast burning side with lead bullets the barrel will last you a couple of life time. If all you shoot is target loads and you replace the recoil spring with the lightest recoil spring to cycle the action the accuracy of your gun will last a while due to reduce battering on the locking lugs and slide stop. I had a friend that replaced a clark barrel out of his custom Gold Cup just because he wanted a stainless barrel, he said it had 20K+ rounds through it. He ended up getting another 1911 and decided to fit that Clark barrel to improve accuracy, it ended up giving 2" groups at 25 yards no problem and will probably go on and on with that kind of accuracy with a steady diet of 185 LSWC and Titegroup.

mike100
05-17-2009, 12:47 AM
I have a colt that has a loose barrel lockup, but the lands and grooves are like new still. The most worn out gun I have was made before 1930 (a winchester model 1906 pump action 22) and you can barely see the rifling. I'll shoot it heads up against my 10/22 any day. High power rifle seems to be the only real possibility of bore wear.

AJD
05-17-2009, 10:46 AM
I you've spent enough on ammo to shoot out the barrel, then a new barrel will be cheap in comparison to all the money you've already spent. As mentioned barrels in .45ACP last awhile, and IMO, it really is a non-issue as they can be replaced even if you somehow shot enough to wear it out.

jimrod
05-17-2009, 4:59 PM
I you've spent enough on ammo to shoot out the barrel, then a new barrel will be cheap in comparison to all the money you've already spent. As mentioned barrels in .45ACP last awhile, and IMO, it really is a non-issue as they can be replaced even if you somehow shot enough to wear it out.

Indeed.:thumbsup:

HotRails
05-18-2009, 8:28 AM
I've seen WW2 models that had bores that looked just fine, and we all know what they have been through!

oghl888
05-18-2009, 11:30 AM
It depends on the barrel construction, hardness, ammo type, and many other factors. I've heard of people replacing their barrels at ~40k rounds, and I've heard of people with 100k rounds through a barrel.

The 1911 rifling inside the barrel is fairly shallow. Hard bullets will probably wear it down faster than soft cast bullets. Same with cleaniness, a clean barrel is less likely to suffer from corrosion which drastically shortens barrel life.

I've heard that rapid firing will wear the barrel out much faster. It makes sense because the barrel gets pretty hot. Even the slide can get too hot to touch, so the barrel could potentially get into a temperature range that accelerates wear and tear.

I personally probably won't wear out a barrel. And if I do, the cost of ammo far out-weigh the cost of a new barrel anyway. Frequent inspection of the gun, and paying close attention to the accuracy degradation, would help you identify a worn barrel before it becomes a problem.

xLusi0n
05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
If you can afford to shoot 40K rounds, you can afford to buy a new barrel :D

Voo
05-18-2009, 7:47 PM
A friend shot close to 100k through his STI Open gun just last year. It's not the same caliber (38 super instead of .45 acp) but the comparison is still valid as 38 super is MUCH hotter than standard 45 acp. He rarely cleans it and the most he'll do before a match is boresnake it and lube the rails.

I specifically asked him about the accuracy as I stunned at his maintenance routine.. He said it still shot 2-3 inches at 25 yards - offhand. His dad treated his Limited gun the same way.

If you think it's time to change the barrel, give it to a bullseye shooter and have them send a few rounds downrange. I'd be willing to bet that they demonstrate that your gun didnt need a barrel swap.

demo
05-18-2009, 8:10 PM
If you can afford to shoot 40K rounds, you can afford to buy a new barrel :D

@ $0.2 a round thats $8K.:eek: and sub a $0.2 round is a pipe dream.