PDA

View Full Version : Bushmasher XM15-E2S as a single shot pistol

Cali-V
05-15-2009, 5:14 PM
Given all of the legal risk...
Should one consider buying a named AR lower for use in an other wise compliant pistol build?

just a thought...

http://ioka.net/pics/pistol01.jpg

fairfaxjim
05-15-2009, 5:21 PM
1. Has it ever been DROS'd NOT AS A PISTOL?
2. How will you prove it is not a short barrel rifle?

Just a couple of things to consider. A search and read on the steps necessary to get from a bare lower to a DROS'd CA legal single shot AR pistol may be wothwhil.

Cali-V
05-15-2009, 5:44 PM
1. Has it ever been DROS'd NOT AS A PISTOL?
2. How will you prove it is not a short barrel rifle?

Just a couple of things to consider. A search and read on the steps necessary to get from a bare lower to a DROS'd CA legal single shot AR pistol may be wothwhil.

It's out of state and being sold as a Bushmaster Pistol... with a 7.5" Bushmaster Upper... It's marked pistol...

In terms of proving it was not initially sold as a rifle or receiver, I'll have to look into that....

I've gone thought the single shot exemption routine, with a number of items... so I pretty much know the process...

B Strong
05-15-2009, 5:48 PM
Unless I'm missing something, a named lower had to be registered pursuant to RR, and it would have had to be registerd as a pistol to be built as a pistol.

If it was, all evil features are OK.

If it wasn't...it can't be transfered or possessed inside California.

Cali-V
05-15-2009, 5:48 PM
I guess I'm also looking at the possibility, and irony of being able to bring in a named lower, in a legal configuration....

Cali-V
05-15-2009, 5:50 PM
Unless I'm missing something, a named lower had to be registered pursuant to RR, and it would have had to be registerd as a pistol to be built as a pistol.

If it was, all evil features are OK.

If it wasn't...it can't be transfered or possessed inside California.

With RR is there a difference between a pistol and rifle?

Gotta go, I'll be back...

Cali-V
05-15-2009, 6:08 PM
Ok, I see Bushmaster Pistol is specificlly name...

So what about a Armalite or Colt pistol... naturally following the single shot exemption...

thedrickel
05-15-2009, 6:12 PM
Can't say I haven't thought about this. Bare listed lowers are legal. Pistols, bolt action rifles, shotguns built on listed lowers . . . ? Gotta check the penal code.

fairfaxjim
05-15-2009, 8:48 PM
I guess I'm also looking at the possibility, and irony of being able to bring in a named lower, in a legal configuration....

Good luck. Too close for my comfort.

BTW The listed Bushmaster Pistol is not based on the XM-15 AFAIK. The XM-15 is on the Kassler list, the BM Pistol on the RR list.

JeffM
05-15-2009, 9:11 PM
Good luck. Too close for my comfort.

BTW The listed Bushmaster Pistol is not based on the XM-15 AFAIK. The XM-15 is on the Kassler list, the BM Pistol on the RR list.

The listed Bushmaster Pistol is not an AR or XM design. The XM is only listed as a rifle.

I think it's legal, and I say go for it.

Heck, I'll pitch in a few bucks for your legal defense if it comes down to that. :thumbsup:

Cali-V
05-15-2009, 9:32 PM
The listed Bushmaster Pistol is not an AR or XM design. The XM is only listed as a rifle.

I think it's legal, and I say go for it.

Heck, I'll pitch in a few bucks for your legal defense if it comes down to that. :thumbsup:

Thanks...

However, I would feel slightly more comfortable going the Colt, Armalite, Wilson Combat, Olympic Arms, Les Baer, or even DPMS route...

I think the key, would be to never, ever, ever, never, while in CA mount a stock on the lower...

But as said, one would really have to become knowledgeable of our AW laws to even consider doing something like this... Plus have a legal fund already in place...

armygunsmith
05-15-2009, 9:45 PM
It's not an XM15-E28, it is an XM15-E2S. Just thought you should know.

Q
05-16-2009, 7:02 PM
Hey Cali,
Check out this lower!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125802261

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=166769&highlight=kac+lower

Turbinator
05-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Bare listed lowers are legal.

Pardon my ignorance. How did we arrive at this conclusion?

Turby

jamesob
05-16-2009, 10:40 PM
ok, i see 1 problem with this. lets say the receiver as pistol would be fine but a pistol receiver can also be made into a rifle. they could say because of the way receivers can be turned from a pistol into a rifle and a rifle cannot be turned into a pistol that the receiver could still be classified as a rifle. or am i just thinking wayyy outside the box?

ZombieKiller
05-17-2009, 6:01 AM
Isn't all about the way the lower is marked- Pistol or not. AND if the named lower is on the list. Just get an OLL marked pistol.....and convert and dros as a single shot......There are many quality retailers out there now.....The one you want seems waaaay to close for comfort.

savageevo
05-17-2009, 6:46 AM
Why even go through this route when there are plenty of ar pistol marked lowers already which are not listed. Other than the name, it all has to be configured one way or the other.