PDA

View Full Version : Unloaded Concealed Carry and PC 12027(f)?

Friendo
05-15-2009, 5:00 PM
I am curious about the P.C. 12027(f) exception to illegal concealed carry. I have seen 12027 mentioned in other posted but focused on the hunting/fishing aspect. I would think 12027(f) would raise more discussion of Unloaded Concealed Carry. Especially if you were to propose that the NRA and or CRPA is "organized for the purpose of practicing shooting" and thus it members qualifying for the exclusion. Additionally this section does not have the clear limiting "directly to or from" wording of 12026.2.

In short would you have a defendable case with a card carrying NRA/CRPA member with an unloaded concealed handgun and concealed unattached mags; who says he is "driving to the range"?

12027. Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the following:
(f) Members of any club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets upon established target ranges, whether public or private, while the members are using pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person upon the target ranges, or transporting these firearms unloaded when going to and from the ranges.

P

MudCamper
05-15-2009, 5:41 PM
I am curious about the P.C. 12027(f) exception to illegal concealed carry. I have seen 12027 mentioned in other posted but focused on the hunting/fishing aspect. I would think 12027(f) would raise more discussion of Unloaded Concealed Carry. Especially if you were to propose that the NRA and or CRPA is "organized for the purpose of practicing shooting" and thus it members qualifying for the exclusion. Additionally this section does not have the clear limiting "directly to or from" wording of 12026.2.

In short would you have a defendable case with a card carrying NRA/CRPA member with an unloaded concealed handgun and concealed unattached mags; who says he is "driving to the range"?

12027. Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the following:
(f) Members of any club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets upon established target ranges, whether public or private, while the members are using pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person upon the target ranges, or transporting these firearms unloaded when going to and from the ranges.

P

An NRA card would be pushing it. You may still get arrested. If you are a member of a local shooting club, and you are carrying a club ID card, and are anywhere between work/home/ranges, then yes, it's a valid exemption to 12025. I bet not many cops know of it though, so carry the PC to educate them if needed.