PDA

View Full Version : School me! SA 1911 45 GI

joems
05-15-2009, 3:03 PM
It's made from Brazil, anyone here owns a pistol like this?

Sam
05-15-2009, 3:14 PM
I'm sure people do, but I haven't read or heard of any reports that just because the pistol is from Brazil it is automatically bad. I've heard only good things about Springfield customer service.

Midian
05-15-2009, 3:16 PM
My SA (though not a GI) was made in Brazil. Fabulous gun.

TonyM
05-15-2009, 3:21 PM
The Springfield frames have been made in Brazil by Imbel for a long time now. They still build them here, AFAIK, they just have Imbel cut the frames.

edward
05-15-2009, 3:21 PM
I don't have the GI, but I have the next step up, the Mil Spec, and the next step up from that, the 'Loaded'.

The mil-spec and the GI are both made by Imbel, which is a fine company with quality craftsmanship.
No need to lack confidence in them, its a fine gun and SA has a lifetime warranty.

SimpleCountryActuary
05-15-2009, 8:31 PM
I don't have the GI, but I have the next step up, the Mil Spec, and the next step up from that, the 'Loaded'.

The mil-spec and the GI are both made by Imbel, which is a fine company with quality craftsmanship.
No need to lack confidence in them, its a fine gun and SA has a lifetime warranty.

I have the Mil Spec and I lucked out with a NM frame. But the frames from Brazil are fine.

Solidsnake87
05-16-2009, 1:38 AM
Used to own one. Great pistols. They work, perform admirably, and are basically true to the original 1911 design. Parts are kinda loose but they are GI pistols. The only reason I sold mine was to upgrade to a SA Operator.

Don't hesitate to buy, their lifetime warranty rocks :D

Knauga
05-16-2009, 8:54 AM
Springfield GI series are rock solid guns. I had a GI champion and loved that gun. I have two other Springers, they are great pistols.

joems
05-16-2009, 2:20 PM
Here's what it looks like sorry for the phone pic quality:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1305/image003i.jpg
By jedaiah24 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jedaiah24), shot with 5678 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=5678&make=Nokia) at 2009-05-16

How about the mags? where can i get 'em? thanks guys. This may be my first 1911, will be getting it dros'ed next month afther my b-day

loosewreck
05-16-2009, 4:29 PM

I had one. I bought it brand new, out of the box it jammed about every 3 rounds. Turned out the the extractor just didn't have enough tension, which was an easy fix, after that it never jammed for the time I had it.

I enjoyed it more aestheticlly than for its shooting qualities. The stock GI looks that I loved about it actually made it uncomfortable to shoot. The standard grip safety would always break skin on the web of my shooting hand and the sights were far too small. The worst thing was that, unlike other 1911s I've fired, it would consistantlly eject spent brass back at my face which would cause me to flinch. Its accuracy wasn't anything to be exited about either (in comparision to my other guns) so before I finally decided to traded it off I had a match bushing installed and it got better, but the other issues still prevented me from shooting it regularly.

From what I've read in the two 1911 forums, the GI Spec is completely assembled in Brazil and the Loaded and other higher end Springfields are fitted in the U.S.

How about the mags? where can i get 'em? thanks guys. This may be my first 1911, will be getting it dros'ed next month afther my b-day

Chip McCormic 8rd Shooting Star & Power mags functioned perfectly in mine.

jlchavis0844
05-16-2009, 4:39 PM

I'll let you know how it is when I pick mine up Thursday.

joems
05-16-2009, 4:45 PM
I'll let you know how it is when I pick mine up Thursday.

PLEASE Do! :thumbsup: as i said i'll be getting mine next month, since I will be getting an XD Tactical next Tuesday!

demo
05-16-2009, 9:05 PM
I got a GI last month. fired it back to back vs an original ithica 1911. same thing. nice gun. fires 45 Acp FMJ perfect.

the sites can get lost in a black target. the GI looks dead sexy to me. kimbers are like an import tuner to me. just give me a old school 1911 and I'm happy.

plankowner
05-18-2009, 5:27 AM
what are the differences on having an NM frame , I have seen it mentioned here before ?

rugit
05-18-2009, 3:00 PM
here is my Mill-Spec Springfirld. As you can see I have used it a lot and also I have not had one problem with it. it is made in brazil.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/rugit/DSC01189.jpg

sorensen440
05-18-2009, 3:04 PM
I have a stainless Springfield GI that was made in Brazil

Cant really complain although if I were to do it over again I would at least get the milspec.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/100_0689.jpg

JDay
05-18-2009, 3:39 PM

You can get 1911 mags just about anywhere.

herburt
05-18-2009, 4:46 PM
In E-mails from Springfield they have said that any loaded or above is 51% made in America. The frame and slide are still made in Brazil but supposedly they have a pick of the litter for the higher end models as far as fitting goes. I wouldn't think twice about picking any Springfield full size 1911 up though, great product. Nice examples in this thread as well.