PDA

View Full Version : Another taser incident gone bad!

masameet
05-15-2009, 1:04 PM
Warren Police scrambled about 10 officers after a 911 caller reported seeing a black panther in a wooded area near the southern side of Bates Park.

"It's huge," the caller insisted.

Arriving officers decided that the piercing black eyes on the panther -- sitting inside a discarded section of cement drain pipe -- were so menacing that they quickly cordoned off the area. It was shortly after 8 p.m. Monday, and daylight was fading fast.

Fearing the large cat would lunge at officers or escape and run loose, police quickly moved into position and shot the panther with a Taser stun gun.

They got him -- right in the stuffing.

Turns out the panther was a large stuffed toy, apparently placed in the pipe as a hoax.

"There was a fear that ... it could ... endanger the community," Warren Police Commissioner William Dwyer told the Free Press on Thursday. "We're out there to keep the community safe, by whatever means necessary" ....
Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009905150422)

bluestaterebel
05-15-2009, 1:41 PM
So how would tasing a big cat help? I mean you either tranqualize it or kill it

Unit74
05-15-2009, 6:25 PM
Taze it and do what? Wait till it gets back up and chews ya to pieces for electrocuting it?

Either double tap with with a rifle or stay in your car...

PolishMike
05-15-2009, 6:26 PM
Hahaha, what a bunch of morans

Maddog5150
05-15-2009, 6:55 PM
What the **** is a moran? :D

Ishoot
05-15-2009, 7:04 PM
Most dangerous animal in the North American continent. :rolleyes:

PolishMike
05-15-2009, 7:18 PM
What the **** is a moran? :D

Reference to this guy
http://www.unknownhighway.com/images/uploads/moran.jpg

scr83jp
05-15-2009, 7:58 PM
Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009905150422) There are melanistic phases of Felis concolor (Mtn Lion) lots of local names:catamount,puma,painter,panther,lion,cougar,e tc.Obviously this wasn't one of the real cats.

sgtbuck
05-15-2009, 9:13 PM
:44: Here Kitty Kitty.....

proudamerican831
05-16-2009, 6:13 PM
deleted

Ron-Solo
05-17-2009, 12:12 PM
It was a prank, why would the prankster be charged for the officers time, they would otherwise be sitting in a doughnut shop somewhere getting fat. At least they got to practice real police work. lol

If the caller thought it was real, then there should be no problem. If he knew it was fake, or was the one who put it there, shame on him. In many states that is making a false report of an emergency. Those guys could have been out doing other things.

Contrary to some opinions, we don't sit at the doughnut shop all day getting fat. Plus, they are no longer referred to as doughnuts, they are "power circles" :43:

proudamerican831
05-17-2009, 1:13 PM
deleted.

Ron-Solo
05-17-2009, 3:22 PM
Using the doughnut shop metaphor was more cliche' than I had intended. I am sorry if I offended the Officers on this forum.

Proud, don't sweat the doughnut shop comment. It's been around too long for anyone to get offended. :thumbsup:

Plus, I belong to the DARE program: Donut Abuse Resistance Education - Dare to keep cops off donuts.

oops, I mean POWER CIRCLES.
:43:

sargenv
05-20-2009, 7:10 AM
A bit off topic.. but we call them "speed pills".

compsoftstation
05-24-2009, 2:50 AM
If the caller thought it was real, then there should be no problem. If he knew it was fake, or was the one who put it there, shame on him. In many states that is making a false report of an emergency. Those guys could have been out doing other things.

Contrary to some opinions, we don't sit at the doughnut shop all day getting fat. Plus, they are no longer referred to as doughnuts, they are "power circles" :43:

It takes a LE consuming doughnuts long enough to call it a power circles... LOL

ilbob
05-24-2009, 7:54 AM
Pretty good prank.

You would have thought that when one of the cops flashed his light in the pipe to take a look that the lack of motion night have given them a clue that something was up.

I think we have another example of someone using a tool that was available simply because they did not have a more appropriate tool at hand.

mindwip
05-25-2009, 3:00 AM
I think we have another example of someone using a tool that was available simply because they did not have a more appropriate tool at hand.

I dont see how a taser is the more appropiate tool then a gun, knife, or even a stick that i am sure the officers had on hand. You taser someone to get them to listen to you. I dont think thats works with huge cats. Teaser equals one huge pissed off scared cat!