PDA

View Full Version : Contacting LE over fully charged mags?

MrClamperSir
05-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I have read through threads discussing the transportation of locked pistol with matching ammo. My take is it is legal to travel with magazines fully charged as long as they are DETACHED from the magazine well. However there still seems to be a risk from some LE that still think pre-People v. Clark. I travel from my home to my business and ALWAYS transport my pistol as it is my only defense in both places. My question then becomes do I contact the local PD to find out what their stance is and if so who would I contact, the chief? I travel through three cities to get to and from my business, a lot of the time on my motorcycle (with a backpack). Is this a good idea or just drawing attention to myself?

Librarian
05-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Just drawing attention.

Obey traffic laws, don't commit crimes on the way to work, and there should be no reason to even have a police contact.

cassius
05-15-2009, 3:45 PM
If it's your business location, consider a duplicate handgun, securely stored at the business. Use something like a floor vault or wall vault. That would eliminate the issue. Particularly the motorcycle-backpack transport. You can follow the letter of the law in all you are doing and still wind up with a huge hassle and legal bill. A bill that far exceeds the cost of the duplicate firearm and vault.

M1A Rifleman
05-15-2009, 3:54 PM
Just drawing attention.

Obey traffic laws, don't commit crimes on the way to work, and there should be no reason to even have a police contact.

Agreed. A question such as yours can only result in a vague reference to the code at best, or a personal opinion as to why you shouldn't own, carry, or possess firearms for self defense at worst.

MrClamperSir
05-15-2009, 6:00 PM
If it's your business location, consider a duplicate handgun, securely stored at the business. Use something like a floor vault or wall vault. That would eliminate the issue. Particularly the motorcycle-backpack transport. You can follow the letter of the law in all you are doing and still wind up with a huge hassle and legal bill. A bill that far exceeds the cost of the duplicate firearm and vault.

As of now I transport in locked case either mags unloaded or no mags at all, so I'm confident that I good there

Agreed. A question such as yours can only result in a vague reference to the code at best, or a personal opinion as to why you shouldn't own, carry, or possess firearms for self defense at worst.

I'm wondering about magazines fully charged and asking the departments in my area if they train their officers to follow case law or make it up at their discretion. I believe I would be asking a direct question so as not to be vague and asking not just any LEs opinion but asking the "headcheese" what they tell their officers in regards to this particular matter. From my understanding the case law (people v. Clark ) resolved the issue of loaded but LE might not see it that way. So the question is whether or not to ask their positions and if so how and whom.

Librarian
05-15-2009, 6:20 PM
You could ask them if they've seen the outputs from other agencies - see http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Defining_loaded_in_California#Recent_Law_Enforceme nt_Training_Materials

MP301
05-16-2009, 3:49 AM
IN the vehicle, motorcycle or whatever...if its in a "locked" container..you are good...

CABilly
05-16-2009, 5:36 AM
I prefer to keep my head down in regard to this sort of thing. I've read enough to know that LE get a lot of help from criminals. They send letters, return to the crime scene, inject themselves into the investigation somehow, etc. I can only imagine that everyone's a potential suspect first in their eyes, pending rule-out. A letter such as yours probably wouldn't do much good. Just know the laws and follow them.

MrClamperSir
05-16-2009, 8:40 AM
Just know the laws and follow them.

So what are the laws concerning full charged mags being in the same locked container as the matching pistol? I know what I've read and have an opinion but I also know that the local LE may have a difference of opinion.

Librarian
05-16-2009, 12:07 PM
So what are the laws concerning full charged mags being in the same locked container as the matching pistol? I know what I've read and have an opinion but I also know that the local LE may have a difference of opinion.

Local LEO don't get an 'opinion'. The judge in People v Clark has pre-empted any other opinions - and several large LE agencies have so instructed their officers (did you read those I linked to?) - but as you seem to be aware, being wrong seldom is much of a barrier.

MrClamperSir
05-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Yes sir I did read the link you sent me and I appreciate you replying to my post. I think I will consider the matter closed and go on about my business as I have always done. I never really concerned myself with these matters before I just did what I knew where within my rights but this forum has opened my eyes to how the "real world" works. Thanks again.