PDA

View Full Version : Bought A Sigma: What's All the Fuss About?

doc540
05-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I paid $250 for a barely fired 9VE, so now I own a 9mm semi that will shoot 17 times without needing a speedloader or moonclip.

The trigger's exactly what I was looking for: something that won't go BANG while I'm fishing it out of the map pocket in my car.

And it's stupid simple.

What else could a guy get for $250 that'll beat that?

CSACANNONEER
05-15-2009, 12:05 PM
I like my Sigma for what it is. I can only assume that you either had 17 round mags before 2000 or you don't live in CA. BTW, the 17 round mags used to be over $50 each. I don't know if they are cheaper now or not. Also, I've had a few mag followers break but, they only cost a couple bucks to replace.

PolishMike
05-15-2009, 12:12 PM
dude, what?

Please stop admitting your crimes online.

1. Hope you had those mags before 2000.
2. It is illegal to keep a loaded gun in your car so you shouldnt have an issue with it going "bang" while fishing it out of your map pocket.

PS - I wouldnt rely on one of those to save my cat's life, much less my own.

mdouglas1980
05-15-2009, 12:14 PM
i love my sigma, seems that everyone who shoots one is used to shooting a $700-$1000 firearm. Mine was $290 out the door with 3 mags for it! You can't beat that! Which doesn't seem fair to compare with something that is hundreds of dollars more. My sigma is a workhorse never had a FTF, mis-fire, or any problems with it. Trigger is heavy but when I carry mine like you say you don't have to worry about it going off either :thumbsup:

JTROKS
05-15-2009, 12:25 PM
I almost bought a later model Sigma and all the reviews I read and heard have been good for a pistol that can be had for less than $300. I ended up getting a Glock from a trade and settled with that instead. What can I say about the Sigma, well it's like a Glock with a steel magazine and barrel has traditional rifling which is safe for lead bullets.

AEC1
05-15-2009, 12:50 PM
I got one for my wife as her first gun, didnt want to make a big invetment if she decided it wanst her thing. I love that 290 POS. It has actually made me a better shot. Forces me to work the triger slow and steady, and increased hand streangth. It has never failed for me. I use it for new shooters as well, they seem to be able to jam it pretty regulaly, I think they do not hold it tight enough, as 90% of the time it is a stovepipe...

!@#$
05-15-2009, 1:00 PM
i have a first gen 9mm sigma (yes with a few preban 17 round mags). i always hear how unreliable they are but i am close to 12,000 rounds without a single malf. the trigger has become much better than when new. i shoot it like a D/A revolver. there are nicer guns out there but the sigma will get it done.

K1LLROI
05-15-2009, 1:07 PM
What's the fuss about? What fuss? Is it good or bad?

My 2..
Before I got my Sigma40. I shot plenty of hks, xds, and glocks.
All calibers, all models..
and well lets just say I have never had any problems with my Sigma, ever. No fte, ftf, whatever you want to call it..as for the other brands..I can't say the same.
S&W got it right.. very competitive for glock..

bussda
05-15-2009, 1:26 PM
It is more of a purist versus clone.

Glock original, Sigma clone,

Lots of accessories for original, not so many for clone.

And I own both. Just in different calibers.

doc540
05-15-2009, 3:40 PM
16 in the mag, +1 in the pipe in Texas in my car in total compliance :thumbsup:

I'd read they had a "heavy" trigger, and that was just what I was looking for.

If the zombies are hanging onto my door handles, gawd only know how hard I'll be squeezing things until I get the loud end pointed in the right direction.:p

SanSacto
05-15-2009, 3:44 PM
I chose a Sigma .40S&W for my first handgun back in X-Mas '07. I learned that there would have been better choices, but I do not regret buying the Sigma at all! I have only put about 500 rounds through it so far, but it has performed flawlessly up to this point.

CA Gun Laws Suck
05-15-2009, 4:28 PM
I just dont like the trigger. It feels nasty to me but if your looking for something with a heavy trigger then thats perfect.

PolishMike
05-15-2009, 4:38 PM
1. A LEO wouldn't buy a sigma. :)
2. A CCW wouldnt trust his life to a sigma :)

mdouglas1980
05-15-2009, 5:46 PM
i have a first gen 9mm sigma (yes with a few preban 17 round mags). i always hear how unreliable they are but i am close to 12,000 rounds without a single malf. the trigger has become much better than when new. i shoot it like a D/A revolver. there are nicer guns out there but the sigma will get it done.

I totally agree I shoot mine like my shoot my ruger .357 revolver in DA. Actually shooting the sigma has made it easier for me be more crisp with my .357 in DA:thumbsup:

Maddog5150
05-15-2009, 7:13 PM

1. Yes they would! I've sold some to LEOs who wanted the cheapest pistol on the list. Very sad yet true. Yet altogether comical.
2. I would like to say your correct but I've seen people buy worse for CCW.

Clinton
05-15-2009, 8:29 PM
I gotta come to the Sigma's defense as well. My brother and I both bought Sigmas in .40 S&W last year. Other than a tight trigger, I don't see how anybody could complain about this pistol. It shoots reliably, points great, and is pretty darned solid for a $400 gun. It's very simple and strips down in about 10 seconds. What else could you want?

Maplewood
05-15-2009, 8:34 PM
I bought one from a fellow CAL Gunner and love it, works every time and eats all the reloads I use at the range, the bad internet rap it's gotten is ridiculous. Read the GunBlast review of it, heres a quote

"The new Smith & Wesson SW9VE is a reliable weapon that is well suited for personal defense or police work. It is accurate enough to fulfill its intended purpose, and feels great in my hand, and to those others that tried the weapon. The last great thing about this pistol is its price."

Rudolf the Red
05-15-2009, 9:15 PM
My 9mm model was $309 OTD in 2004. I couldn't resist it at that price. I call it my American Glock. Never had a problem and I can hit a dinner plate at 20 yards with it on demand. It's light and I probably would use it for CCW when it get's up to 110 degrees+ up here. It's stainless and plastic and I ain't worried about it too much.

Great deal.

CSACANNONEER
05-16-2009, 3:30 PM

Funny, although it's not on the top of my list to carry, I have used it as a carry gun. But hell, you must know more than me. I've only owned and shot mine since 1998. Yea, I've owned mine since you were about 10 years old. So, how much of your bias is based on personal experience and how much is based on keyboard commando folk lore? Really, I have only put somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 rounds through mine and it has worked better than my Glock or any of the rental Glocks (they get replaced every year or two so, that includes when they are brand new) at the range I used to work at. Of course, I realize that the Sigmas are inexpensive plastic guns and Glocks are expensive plastic guns so, Glocks must be better. Right? I'd say that you have assumed way to many things in this thread including where the OP lives and/or if he can legally carry in a vehicle. It is perfectly legal for a CCW holder to carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle in Ca. But, instead of clarifying any info, you jumped to conclusions and assumed that you knew everything. Due to this, why should the rest of your inexperienced opinion hold any wieght? Next time, think before making a fool out of yourself.

floorance
05-16-2009, 4:02 PM
I shot my buddies sigma, to me it if feels cheap, trigger is not to my taste. But on the flip side its cheap to buy, and that is exactly what my friend was looking for. So if your on a budget and need a pistol, I always welcome anyone who wants to be a gun owner. To all those here, different strokes for different folks. No need for name calling or the "STFU".

doc540
05-16-2009, 5:59 PM
took it to the range today

grouped easily

no problems

$250 well spent:thumbsup:

Tragic Image
05-16-2009, 6:41 PM
I had a sigma 40.

worked good, wasn't great, wasn't horrible. Can't recall it ever having a problem....

But, for the price it can't be beat.

ErikTheRed
05-16-2009, 9:09 PM
I gotta come to the Sigma's defense as well. My brother and I both bought Sigmas in .40 S&W last year. Other than a tight trigger, I don't see how anybody could complain about this pistol. It shoots reliably, points great, and is pretty darned solid for a $400 gun. It's very simple and strips down in about 10 seconds. What else could you want?

I'm the brother. ;)

Just like the Kel-Tec SU-16, I think most of the badmouthing comes from people who have never owned one, never fired one, and just read alot of nonsense on the forums. I haven't put but maybe 250 rounds through my Sigma SW40VE, but it has performed flawlessly in those 250. It feels good, looks good, and shoots great. We paid $335 for em, and I seriously doubt a comparable pistol exists for less.

For those of you who wouldn't even "trust your cat's life to one", might I ask why not? Do you speak from experience or internet silliness? I am very close to my CCW, and I will carry my Sigma often. You can swing golf clubs to defend your cat.

ERdept
05-16-2009, 11:16 PM
That's the great thing about guns, they're like cars.

They come in all kinds of makes and models.

Some people think a car is just transportation and it gets you to point A and B it works.

For them, maybe Yugo-Kia/Sigma-Lorcin is sufficient.

Some people like reliability, so they buy a Civic/Glock

Some people like performance and style accuracy so they get a precise handling and performing car like a Corvette-Porsche-Ferrari/S&W Performance Center 1911-Les Baer-STI-Sig 226 X-5

It's all good.;)

bussda
05-16-2009, 11:52 PM
:eek:

That's the great thing about guns, they're like cars.

They come in all kinds of makes and models.

Some people think a car is just transportation and it gets you to point A and B it works.

For them, maybe Yugo-Kia/Sigma-Lorcin is sufficient.

Some people like reliability, so they buy a Civic/Glock

Some people like performance and style accuracy so they get a precise handling and performing car like a Corvette-Porsche-Ferrari/S&W Performance Center 1911-Les Baer-STI-Sig 226 X-5

It's all good.;)

Making a comment that a Sigma made by S&W is just like a Lorcin. :95:

Can we get some flame proof suits for this guy? He is gonna need them...

ErikTheRed
05-17-2009, 12:49 AM

Nah, its cool, no flame suit needed. He just doesn't know what hes talking about, thats all. No biggie.

M47_Dragon
05-17-2009, 1:53 AM
I had a Sigma SW9VE... I sold it because I didn't care for the trigger.

Out of the three or so nicer guns I've sold, the Sigma is the one I regret getting rid of... perfect bang around, don't care if it gets scratched, etc. type gun.

Never had a problem with mine either.

AfricanHunter
05-17-2009, 3:27 AM

Thats really cool to hear. I have never owned a Sigma but after all the crap you hear about them I would have guessed they would be good for 4-5k rounds tops.

Have you had any parts breaking, issues, etc?

I have a friend who is looking to get into firearms and looking at the sigma as a cheap alternative for his handgun.

ERdept
05-17-2009, 7:35 AM
Sigma or Stigma......

Designed to meet a price point and is essentially for folks of all incomes to get a gun for protection.

It's not meant to be fired at the range week after week for years.

Early ones had a zinc alloy slide. S&W won't service them, at least the early ones.

Newer ones are SS, but still rough trigger. Maybe they have evolved and I must take a look at them.

CSACANNONEER
05-17-2009, 8:51 AM
Sigma or Stigma......

Designed to meet a price point and is essentially for folks of all incomes to get a gun for protection.

It's not meant to be fired at the range week after week for years.

Early ones had a zinc alloy slide. S&W won't service them, at least the early ones.

Newer ones are SS, but still rough trigger. Maybe they have evolved and I must take a look at them.

Great! You've read other people comments and regurgitated them here. Seriously, have you ever owned one? Shot one? Yea, when I bought mine in '98 or '99, the salesman told me it would fall apart after 5,000 rounds and I could get 20,000 out of a Glock. Well, I've never known a Glock to fail at 20K so, I doubt he knew what he was talking about. Yea, the Sigma trigger sucks but, a stock Glock trigger isn't any better than my stock Sigma trigger. Yea, the Sigma is cheaper both cheaper to buy and maybe even manufacture. Part of the reason it's cheaper is that it doesn't need to be imported therefore, the cost of importing doesn't need to be added to the price. For what they are, Sigmas work just fine though. They are not intended to be high end guns but the are reliable guns.

till44
05-17-2009, 9:01 AM
I sold my Sigma to finnace another gun, but they are dead nuts reliable. I shot everything out of it with no problems and never cleaned it. I'll pick one up down the road for sure, for $300 bucks its a great shooter. The trigger pull sucks though, my only complaint, but I have read a few mods that lessen the pull to around 6-7 pounds versus the 12 lbs from the factory.

ERdept
05-17-2009, 9:07 AM
Great! You've read other people comments and regurgitated them here. Seriously, have you ever owned one? Shot one? Yea, when I bought mine in '98 or '99, the salesman told me it would fall apart after 5,000 rounds and I could get 20,000 out of a Glock. Well, I've never known a Glock to fail at 20K so, I doubt he knew what he was talking about. Yea, the Sigma trigger sucks but, a stock Glock trigger isn't any better than my stock Sigma trigger. Yea, the Sigma is cheaper both cheaper to buy and maybe even manufacture. Part of the reason it's cheaper is that it doesn't need to be imported therefore, the cost of importing doesn't need to be added to the price. For what they are, Sigmas work just fine though. They are not intended to be high end guns but the are reliable guns.

OK, I'm convinced. See, it's not hard to see the light and admit you're (I'm) wrong.

Thanks.

CSACANNONEER
05-17-2009, 9:12 AM
OK, I'm convinced. See, it's not hard to see the light and admit you're (I'm) wrong.

Thanks.

Someday, I could meet you at Angeles and let you shoot it along with a Glock (I don't really care for either gun to be perfectly honest) and a few other toys I have laying around. Then you can decide for yourself.

bussda
05-17-2009, 10:26 AM

All currently manufactured Sigmas have a steel slide. The only one that might not was the 380 version, which is no longer sold and hasn't been for several years. To compare that one to the current version is not a valid comparsion. Heck, it was only called a Sigma because it had a plastic frame. But for some people that pistol meets their needs. But comparing the entire company to Lorcin/Davis, Might has well say the same thing about Glock, Colt, and Ruger too.

Smith and Wesson has a lifetime service policy to the original purchaser. If they aren't the original purchaser, of course they won't get service. If you are an original purchaser the story will be different.

Lurch762
05-17-2009, 10:36 AM
A friend of mine has a Sigma 40 and it shoots just fine. The only thing I don't like is it sometimes ejects the shell casings at my head. Melted a small spot on my glasses once and gave me a nice neck hickey another time. Other than that, it's a good deal for the money.

!@#$
05-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Thats really cool to hear. I have never owned a Sigma but after all the crap you hear about them I would have guessed they would be good for 4-5k rounds tops.

Have you had any parts breaking, issues, etc?

I have a friend who is looking to get into firearms and looking at the sigma as a cheap alternative for his handgun.

no broke parts yet.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/hflores98/IMG_2140.jpg

as far as the pot metal slide none of the full size sigmas were ever made that way only the tiny 380 and the slightly larger 9mm. the 380 and it's 9mm brother were rated for 5-6,000 rounds IIRC. they are a blow back design with fixed barrel. my little 9mm shoots great with 115,124 grain FMJ and 115 grain JHP. you have to really have a firm hold on these blow back guns. the only malfs i had from it are 124 and 147 JHP(about every other round would FTFeed) and one round of the old laqure wolf FMJ. the gun was very dirty at the time of FMJ malf.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/hflores98/IMG_2141.jpg

jazman
05-17-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't know much about them, but if they are reasonable in price does it make sense to send it back to S&W or Cylinder and Slide or another smith and have a trigger job/tune up done? Seems like most of the negative comments are about a heavy trigger, why not have it tuned and have a gun you really like to shoot?

Erik S. Klein
05-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I chose a Sigma .40S&W for my first handgun back in X-Mas '07. I learned that there would have been better choices, but I do not regret buying the Sigma at all! I have only put about 500 rounds through it so far, but it has performed flawlessly up to this point.

I bought one of the .40s as one of my first guns in '93ish.

It was more expensive then, but it came with plenty of 15 round mags and it has been reliable and accurate through thousands of practice rounds since purchase.

I don't particularly like the long/hard trigger pull but the gun has it's place.

liketoshoot
05-17-2009, 5:47 PM
I had an early model one and was so happy the day I sold it I bought a S&W wheel gun with the money, and I've not looked back! Good riddance I say.

BigEd925
05-17-2009, 5:51 PM

A $490 Glock 19 :thumbsup:

doc540
05-17-2009, 7:16 PM
For those who might not have read my initial post:

"The trigger's exactly what I was looking for: something that won't go BANG while I'm fishing it out of the map pocket in my car."

I knew about the heavy trigger before I bought it, and bought it, in part, because of the heavy trigger.

Shot it at the range for the first time yesterday.

Grouped nicely and with no problems.

$250 well spent on a car gun.

DocSkinner
05-17-2009, 7:30 PM
Have an old Sigma 40S&W bought when it came with a 15 round - IN California! (pre Glock lawsuit)

Its a great back up/whatever gun. don't think the price has changed in the 10+years...

trigger is so-so, accuracy is so-so, but both good enough for what its intended to do. (it's my "open your gun safe NOW!" alternate reply gun.)

right now having a decent 15 round 40SW, its worth every bit of the $250 I payed.

It has never did any form of jam, regardless of ammo. My only real complaint is the damn things ejects about half time directly up and back about 2.5 feet... Had a burn a number of years back from a freshly ejected case sticking between my glasses and brow.

Not my favorite by any measure, but solid, especially for the price.

DocSkinner
05-17-2009, 7:33 PM
I had an early model one and was so happy the day I sold it I bought a S&W wheel gun with the money, and I've not looked back! Good riddance I say.

well, if I could get a S&W wheel gun in new or like new for my Sigma, well, yeah - I'd take that swap! I haven't seen a S&W wheel gun for under $300 since, humm, well, my first one in 1981 was about that. Imagine that - a high schooler buying a S&W at Monkey Wards, and walking out with it right then and there...

DocSkinner
05-17-2009, 7:36 PM
search online there are tutorials how to lighten the trigger yourself. I read one article and it seemed as if S and W designed it into the gun as an option assuming the gun modifiers would figure it out. Of course for liability reasons they could never publish this notion or instructions. I have the original SW9F
the original Glock clone the trigger is just like an off the shelf Glock 17. If I were to buy more of these I would get the older SW9F as it would be cheaper and is the original clone before Glock sued for infringement.

That was what I always thought - contacted Brownell's and they said no - don't swap anything with Glock parts. any one have a good AUTHORITATIVE source on this? Wouldn't mind trying a match barrel or a new trigger...

supermario
05-17-2009, 7:36 PM
A friend of mine has a Sigma 40 and it shoots just fine. The only thing I don't like is it sometimes ejects the shell casings at my head. Melted a small spot on my glasses once and gave me a nice neck hickey another time. Other than that, it's a good deal for the money.

Sure the casing gave you a hickie,, thats a good one i gotta tell my wife:thumbsup: Jk man!

DocSkinner
05-17-2009, 7:52 PM
Sure the casing gave you a hickie,, thats a good one i gotta tell my wife:thumbsup: Jk man!

Thats nothing - had an old GF that I was teaching to shoot, and she wanted to see what teh glock type pistols were like to shoot.

spent casing right between the double Ds! quite the dance... Had forgotten about that until now!

SJgunguy24
05-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Don't know any authoritative sources but would bet a lot of the parts crossover, maybe with a little dremel TLC. Everyone is afraid of the liability
of suggesting to do so.

I actually did a complete tear down of my Sigma, and it appers most of the parts in the slide can be swapped with Glock parts.

I have a .40 cal that I bought back in 1998 and it's reliable and i'd trust my life to it. I like my glocks much more. Easier to tune the Glock trigger and parts are everywhere. Changing calibers is stupid simple as well.

I did figure out a little mod for the Sigma trigger that makes it crisper. Mags are too effn' expensive though.

Old Timer
05-18-2009, 6:50 AM
1. A LEO wouldn't buy a sigma. :)I own two.2. A CCW wouldnt trust his life to a sigma :)Every day.

Old Timer
05-18-2009, 6:55 AM

Don't flame. Waste of good fire. Just consider the source and ignore him. :)

Old Timer
05-18-2009, 7:37 AM
I've heard there is a spring you remove in the later models as the only purpose of the spring is to tension the trigger.Field strip the gun, remove the seer retainer pin and gently slide the seer assembly up and out of the frame. Examine the seer assembly and find the pivot pin at the bottom of the assembly. Remove the pivot pin (being careful not to let the two springs fly off) and leave the pigtail spring that was around the pivot pin off when you reassemble. That will drop your trigger pull from around 10 lbs to around 6 lbs.

doc540
05-18-2009, 11:43 AM
OT, are there pics of the process you've described?

I called S&W this morning and the lady who answered was most helpful.
She said she'd send a prepaid postage sticker if I wanted to return it to them for trigger work at no cost.

Kinda hard to beat that.:eek:

Tallship
05-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Field strip the gun, remove the seer retainer pin and gently slide the seer assembly up and out of the frame. Examine the seer assembly and find the pivot pin at the bottom of the assembly. Remove the pivot pin (being careful not to let the two springs fly off) and leave the pigtail spring that was around the pivot pin off when you reassemble. That will drop your trigger pull from around 10 lbs to around 6 lbs.

Actually, you can go one step beyond that. The are two coil springs, one inside the other in the assembly. You can get rid of the outer (larger) coil spring and the trigger pull will be even less. I did that to mine and I have never had a problem with it.

Old Timer
05-19-2009, 7:52 AM
OT, are there pics of the process you've described?
I think there are some on the Smith & Wesson Forums.
I called S&W this morning and the lady who answered was most helpful.
She said she'd send a prepaid postage sticker if I wanted to return it to them for trigger work at no cost.

Kinda hard to beat that.:eek:
That is the best way, and your warranty stays intact. :)

JBird33
05-19-2009, 5:49 PM
Two of my friends have .40 cal versions, and I have shot them both. Both have triggers I cannot stand, and one of them had 1-2 jams per magazine. Mix of FTE/FTF. The second one functioned fine. I would use the $300 as a down payment on the layaway of something else, but if you get a good one and don't mind the 100 pound trigger then more power to you.

Old Timer
05-20-2009, 6:19 AM
"I have a friend . . . " "I have a cousin . . . " "I have a neighbor . . . "

Yep. Sure. :rolleyes:

I have owned two, an SW9VE and an SW40VE for about 3 or 4 years. Fired about 5000 rounds down range from the .40 and about 10000 rounds down range from the 9mm (its a lot cheaper to pull the trigger on the 9mm!). In all that time I have never had a fail to feed or a fail to fire with one exception. My own reload. It seems my wife distracted me and I skipped the step where I put the gun powder in. Needless to say, it did not fire. :)

All this to say, the line of pistols commonly called "Sigmas" are excellent guns, perhaps the best bang for the buck available today. It is reliable, accurate, inexpensive, and a lot of fun to shoot, and more than able in the roll of home defense or concealed carry.

It never ceases to amaze me how "pro gun" types can be so "anti gun" when it comes to certain makes or models. Some of them sound worse than the Brady Bunch! :mad:

Futurecollector
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
"I have a friend . . . " "I have a cousin . . . " "I have a neighbor . . . "

Yep. Sure. :rolleyes:

I have owned two, an SW9VE and an SW40VE for about 3 or 4 years. Fired about 5000 rounds down range from the .40 and about 10000 rounds down range from the 9mm (its a lot cheaper to pull the trigger on the 9mm!). In all that time I have never had a fail to feed or a fail to fire with one exception. My own reload. It seems my wife distracted me and I skipped the step where I put the gun powder in. Needless to say, it did not fire. :)

All this to say, the line of pistols commonly called "Sigmas" are excellent guns, perhaps the best bang for the buck available today. It is reliable, accurate, inexpensive, and a lot of fun to shoot, and more than able in the roll of home defense or concealed carry.

It never ceases to amaze me how "pro gun" types can be so "anti gun" when it comes to certain makes or models. Some of them sound worse than the Brady Bunch! :mad:

So this one time at band camp my best freinds siters mother her brothers wifes dog got to shoot one of those crappy sigmas and he didnt like it!!!!!

robairto
05-20-2009, 10:57 AM
I bought a Sigma yrs ago and added an extra Magazine ($125) for it. I broomed the gun and kept the magazine. I like my Glocks much better but it's an individual decision.

Old Timer
05-20-2009, 12:24 PM
So this one time at band camp my best freinds siters mother her brothers wifes dog got to shoot one of those crappy sigmas and he didnt like it!!!!!:hurray::43: LOL! Exactly! I think I know that guy! :eek: (Nice to see I was not being too subtle. :) )

Old Timer
05-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I bought a Sigma yrs ago and added an extra Magazine ($125) for it. I broomed the gun and kept the magazine. I like my Glocks much better but it's an individual decision.You paid $125 for a Sigma magazine? No wonder you liked the equally over-priced Glock! :43:

JBird33
05-20-2009, 5:22 PM
You paid $125 for a Sigma magazine? No wonder you liked the equally over-priced Glock! :43:

Glad you like the Sigma. It keeps you from having to pay more money for a nice firearm.

I WOULD speak from personal experience, but my friend's that had a jam every 5-6 rounds kept me from it. You might find it odd that some people only say "My friend...my cousin..." but I find it equally odd that I cannot use the personal experience of my friends to keep me away from a product I didn't like when I tested it.

doc540
05-20-2009, 5:26 PM
Glad you like the Sigma. It keeps you from having to pay more money for a nice firearm.

I WOULD speak from personal experience, but my friend's that had a jam every 5-6 rounds kept me from it. You might find it odd that some people only say "My friend...my cousin..." but I find it equally odd that I cannot use the personal experience of my friends to keep me away from a product I didn't like when I tested it.

I've heard the early models were unadulterated crap.

Glad I don't have one of those or I'd have been sorely disappointed.:cool2:

Kingofthehill
05-20-2009, 8:17 PM
Ive owned 2, sold 1 and still have one.

Mine NOW has at the very least 6,000 rounds of 9mm through it (whatever ammo i can find cheap, usually blazer Brass or WWB)... I can count the ammount of failures on 1 hand. Thats quite the record IMO... Its also a great gun for a "hide-a-gun" for home defense because of that heavier trigger...

I can't say "I love my sigma" but it sure is a great bang for the buck. (have much higher end guns)

JOe

Futurecollector
05-21-2009, 12:44 AM
If anyone knows where I can buy one for reasonably cheap Ill buy it and do a range report, First hand experience, PM me if you have one or you know of where one is at.

Old Timer
05-21-2009, 6:36 AM
Glad you like the Sigma. It keeps you from having to pay more money for a nice firearm. You're just full of misinformation, aren't you?

What do you call a "nice firearm?"

Would my H&K USP .45 live up to your "nice firearm" assumption?

Would my Springfield MilSpec 1911A1 .45?

How about my S&W M&P .40?

Or my S&W M&P .357 sig?

Maybe my Sig P225?

How about my S&W Model 686 in .357?

Colt Trooper II in .357?

Colt 1970 Mark IV .45?

RIA 1911A1 .45?

Browning Hi-Power 9mm?

Maybe my Walther PPK 9mm?

Walther PP 9mm?

Walther P-38 9mm?

Or maybe my vintage P-08 7.65mm would meet your super exacting standards of a "nice firearm?"

S&W Chief's Special in .38?

Just what is a "nice firearm" in your exalted opinion?

Do any of the above live up to your pinnacle of perfection?

I am an old man. I have owned guns for almost 60 years. Some friendly advice. Don't try to teach your pappy how to suck eggs! :)

Oh, and, by the way, you didn't "test it." You shot it. Once. To properly test a fire arm takes several thousand rounds fired in varying circumstances over an extended period of time using many different bullet types and loads.

Old Timer
05-21-2009, 6:43 AM
Mine NOW has at the very least 6,000 rounds of 9mm through it (whatever ammo i can find cheap, usually blazer Brass or WWB)... I can count the ammount of failures on 1 hand. Thats quite the record IMO... Its also a great gun for a "hide-a-gun" for home defense because of that heavier trigger...Joe, I agree. For the most part I reload my own range ammo, but I have bought a lot of dirt cheap stuff such as WWB, Blazer, etc., and, even with the cheapest ammo never had a problem. That gun will eat anything! I wish I could say the same thing about some of my much more expensive "nice guns!" :)

Turbinator
05-21-2009, 6:59 AM
You paid $125 for a Sigma magazine? No wonder you liked the equally over-priced Glock! :43:

Overpriced in what sense? Sure, Glocks probably cost $150 to make and they sell for 3x to 5x that cost. But if you shop carefully and buy used, as with cars, there are some great deals to be had.

Turby

Mazilla
05-21-2009, 7:14 AM
I gave my sigma away to my little brother, not because I didn't like it, but there was no firearm in the house and he lived with my mom in a remote area of Alaska.

Old Timer
05-21-2009, 9:30 AM
I gave my sigma away to my little brother, not because I didn't like it, but there was no firearm in the house and he lived with my mom in a remote area of Alaska.Now look! I do think Sigmas are pretty good guns for the money, but do you really think one can drop a polar bear? :D:D

Old Timer
05-21-2009, 9:45 AM
Overpriced in what sense? Sure, Glocks probably cost $150 to make and they sell for 3x to 5x that cost. But if you shop carefully and buy used, as with cars, there are some great deals to be had.

TurbyOne of the complaints I hear most often regarding the Sigma is that it is a "Glock knock off" or a "Glock copy." If the guns are essentially the same, as I hear so often, why does the Glock sell for $250 more than the Sigma? :)

Of course, anyone who has ever held both guns in their hot, sweaty, little hands knows they are not the same. The action is similar but that can be said, in a broader sense, of all recoil operated semi-auto handguns. Almost all of them emulate the John Browning tilt barrel action.

But, of course, the Glock has a much different grip angle than the Sigma, and a much higher barrel axis. The barrel and receiver are so alike as to be almost interchangeable, and the seer block is very similar, but there are differences that largely outweigh the similarities.

But, back to the point, if they are so much alike why the price difference? :D

Don't get me wrong. I am not chiding Glocks or Glock owners. They are fine guns and worth what you pay for them. But the "same gun" made by Smith does sell for a whole lot less. $299 vice $549. :)

JBird33
05-21-2009, 2:37 PM
You're just full of misinformation, aren't you?

What do you call a "nice firearm?"

Would my H&K USP .45 live up to your "nice firearm" assumption?

Would my Springfield MilSpec 1911A1 .45?

How about my S&W M&P .40?

Or my S&W M&P .357 sig?

Maybe my Sig P225?

How about my S&W Model 686 in .357?

Colt Trooper II in .357?

Colt 1970 Mark IV .45?

RIA 1911A1 .45?

Browning Hi-Power .9mm?

Maybe my Walther PPK .9mm?

Walther PP .9mm?

Walther P-38 9mm?

Or maybe my vintage P-08 7.65mm would meet your super exacting standards of a "nice firearm?"

S&W Chief's Special in .38?

Just what is a "nice firearm" in your exalted opinion?

Do any of the above live up to your pinnacle of perfection?

I am an old man. I have owned guns for almost 60 years. Some friendly advice. Don't try to teach your pappy how to suck eggs! :)

Oh, and, by the way, you didn't "test it." You shot it. Once. To properly test a fire arm takes several thousand rounds fired in varying circumstances over an extended period of time using many different bullet types and loads.

Might be older but not my pappy; probably a good thing for the both of us ;)

wm97s
05-21-2009, 11:22 PM
A friend of mine bought one of the first ones. It had some problems at first. He sent it back to S&W. They replaced the barrel, and polished it up. Free, of course. After that, it never had another problem. I didn't think the trigger was the best I had ever seen, but it fit the hand well. Oddly enough, a Sigma .40 seemed to kick more than a 2.75 inch Ruger Security Six .357 and a Glock 29.

Old Timer
05-22-2009, 6:54 AM
Oddly enough, a Sigma .40 seemed to kick more than a 2.75 inch Ruger Security Six .357 and a Glock 29.Both the SW40VE and its cousin the M&P .40 are renowned for their muzzle flip. My educated guess would be that the muzzle flip is due to the grip angle (18 degrees) as much as the power of the .40 S&W load.

All of the complaints you hear about the Glock's "wrong" grip angle is the result of Glock's attempt to limit muzzle flip. The greater grip angle forces the shooter to lock his wrist thus insuring a more solid grip and less muzzle flip.

However, some of us find that grip angle unnatural or uncomfortable (probably because so many of us old guys started out on the 1911A1 with a grip angle identical to the S&W line).

There is an interesting comparison of the 4 most popular handgun grips at http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=851870

It tends to be anti-Glock but it does contain a lot of good information including pics.

However, my position is, if you like it, shoot it. If you don't like it, try something else. :)

AEC1
05-22-2009, 7:32 AM
Like I said, I have a golck and wesson in 9mm. Paid 300 fo rit, wouldent sell it for 275...

Lucky Scott
05-22-2009, 3:24 PM
Putting one in DROS tomorrow, will give my opinion in about 10 days!

randy
05-22-2009, 3:36 PM
You guys are letting me down. How can you do 8 pages on a Sigma?

Maplewood
05-22-2009, 3:48 PM
I'm selling my 9mm Sigma, even though I love it, but I have to finance a Rock Island .45 and a used Glock.

It's listed on the private sales section for $299 with (2) mags and a Fobus holster.

DocSkinner
05-22-2009, 11:42 PM
I am more amazed you can bring up the Sigma ejecting straight back into a set of double Ds and get no replies....

no guys on this thread...

wm97s
05-23-2009, 10:53 AM
I am more amazed you can bring up the Sigma ejecting straight back into a set of double Ds and get no replies....

As I recall, it typically landed the shells right directly on top of your head. Occasionally, down the shirt. But I don't have double Ds.

bussda
05-23-2009, 8:56 PM

Or maybe they are being very polite...:)

Or are very serious about Sigmas...:eek:

But still, I didn't address it either. Makes me think. :TFH:

But then again almost every one here has at least one story about that.

silver2k2
05-24-2009, 8:48 AM
I think its a great gun for the money I have had mine for 5 years and never had a FTF or FTE. The trigger pull is long but its the same as a Glock. 2000 reliable round through it I say thats good enough to trust with my life, but to each thier own

DocSkinner
05-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Or maybe they are being very polite...:)

Or are very serious about Sigmas...:eek:

But still, I didn't address it either. Makes me think. :TFH:

But then again almost every one here has at least one story about that.

Really? only one I have heard of -

maybe a "Sigma - the breast gun you can buy for the money?" thread?

bussda
05-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Really? only one I have heard of -

maybe a "Sigma - the breast gun you can buy for the money?" thread?

Not just Sigma, but: "Which is the breast gun of all time?" thread.

Which leads to that tagline from the show Nurse Jackie: "Life is full of little *****s." And then we get the mods chiming in.

Oh, a puntastic time of it. :)