PDA

View Full Version : Barrel life for non-chrome lined M1A?

TonyNorCal
06-08-2005, 4:28 PM
Hi Guys,

What would you figure barrel life to be for a non-chrome lined M1A Scout?

Also, can anyone here here offer an experience regarding reports that recent M1As have some inferior commerical parts?

(The Scout I am considering is a 2003).

icormba
06-08-2005, 9:36 PM
not an M1A or M1A scout, but...
I have a few M1 Garands with barrels that are well over 40-50 years old... I'm sure some even got shot with corrosive ammo. They are still running GREAT! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

imported_kantstudien
06-08-2005, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony:
What would you figure barrel life to be for a non-chrome lined M1A Scout?
QUOTE]

Probably longer than you could either afford to shoot or have time to shoot. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mugwump
06-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Here's my experience with the inferior commercial parts: I purchased a brand new M1A, and from the first few shots I had a constant failure to feed, and inability to zero.

Sent the rifle back to Springfield and they replaced the extractor, and put a ridiculously tall front site on (kind of like putting a bandaid on a broken arm). Took it to the range, and still couldn't zero because the rear site parts didn't fit together properly, so I then replaced the rear sight with USGI parts and put the correct front site on and everything worked just fine until the bolt roller came off. I had to have a local gunsmith replace the bolt roller, since the pliers to do this 5-second job are nearly impossible to find.

Everything works for now, but as parts fail I will be replacing with USGI parts and not the garbage from Springfield.

I wouldn't be so turned off by Springfield if my friend who purchased a brand new 1911 didn't have similiar quality control problems as well.

Ducati748r
06-08-2005, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't be so turned off by Springfield if my friend who purchased a brand new 1911 didn't have similiar quality control problems as well.

I was thinking of purchasing SA 1911. What problems did you friend have with his pistol?

soulska
06-09-2005, 1:41 AM
Originally posted by Ducati748r:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I was thinking of purchasing SA 1911. What problems did you friend have with his pistol? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never had one problem with my GI SA 1911. I have shot over 2000 rounds out of her and not a problem. I have not heard of any QC problems in the past. Thats just my 2 cents...

pidooma
06-09-2005, 6:19 AM
Originally posted by soulska:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ducati748r:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I was thinking of purchasing SA 1911. What problems did you friend have with his pistol? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never had one problem with my GI SA 1911. I have shot over 2000 rounds out of her and not a problem. I have not heard of any QC problems in the past. Thats just my 2 cents... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only have about 400-500 rounds through my GI SA 1911, but I haven't had any issues with mine either. And no issues with my SA M1A standard.

TonyNorCal
06-09-2005, 2:20 PM
Lots of great info here on 1911s. Fabulous guns!

But nothing on the barrel life of a standard (no chrome) M1A barrel.

Anyone?

C.G.
06-09-2005, 2:51 PM
But nothing on the barrel life of a standard (no chrome) M1A barrel. Anyone? Originally posted by kanstudien:
Probably longer than you could either afford to shoot or have time to shoot.
+1. However, comparing my chromed vs. non-chromed barrels, non-chromed take a lot longer to clean and you better do that since they are a lot more prone to rust than chromed.

Shark
06-09-2005, 3:14 PM
He's an actually answer to your question: If you shoot a lot, you will wear out a non-chrome lined barrel.

On non-chrome lined barrel, you'll see a decline in match accuracy between 5000 and 8000 rounds depending on ammo, how you clean the barrel, the manufacturer etc. I have a douglas Med heavy barrel that will probably end up lasting me about 2-3 years given I put about 3000 rounds through it a year.

Chrome- lined barrels will last more than 12,000-15,000. Yes, they are much, much easier to clean and don't need to be constantly pampered. I'd go chrome if you are not shooting matches. Also, you can get pretty darn good accuracy out of USGI chrome-lined barrels with a few accuracy mods to the rifle.

I would not sweat wearing a barrel out as they only cost about $250 to replace. LRB Arms is selling Criterion chrome lined barrels that are outstanding and reasonably priced.

Here is answer to your second question: SA repro parts of recent vintage are not great, but the earlier parts are serviceable. The number one crappy part is the extractor, the second being the receiver. New M1A receivers are not to USGI spec and can be dimensionally off. The most noticable problem is trying to fit a scope mount such as an ARMS or Smith Enterprise. If you can get a 2002 or earlier SA M1A, you be more likely to get USGI parts and a receiver that is closer to USGI specs. I would replace any other repro parts on an as-needed basis. However, I would start buying USGI replacement parts now (op rod, trigger group, bolt and bolt parts) as they are becoming more rare as the Military has put M14s back into active service and the prices are going up.

I would look at Fulton Armory or LRB Arms for new rifle if you want a new rifle versus used. You pay a little more, but will get all USGI parts and a receiver that is in-spec. Plus, they will be the highest of quality. I also suggest going to http://www.m-14forum.com for info and the classifieds.

Oh, and I bought a SA "Loaded" 1911 that was a POS a couple of years back. The quality control bug has seeped into both the M1A and 1911 product lines. SA seems more interested in cranking out guns that are not up to snuff with a lifetime warrenty rather than spending the money up-front with better quality control. The only thing I would buy from SA these days is the USGI WWII for a custom build by a good gunsmith, a Professional (SA custom shop 1911) and an XD.

bu-bye
06-09-2005, 3:20 PM
On a QA stand point for Springfield I have had three friends buy a 1911 of different models in the last year and not one has had a problem yet.

On another note if you are worried about your barrel life you could always shoot moly bullets. The moly really helps reduce friction and makes cleaning a snap. You can even moly coat your bullets at home as some of my reloading buddies do. Hell, I have even seen people moly the whole round, case and all. You just tumble the rounds with the moly powder