PDA

View Full Version : Does domestic violence prohibit gun ownership forever?

sigguy552
05-14-2009, 1:15 PM
I have a friend who got convicted for DV almost 12 years ago. Is he forever prohibited from owning a firearm? I was told somewhere that the prohibition only lasts ten years and then you could petition the court to reinstate your firearms ownership rights.

GaryV
05-14-2009, 1:17 PM
Yes, it's forever.

sgtlmj
05-14-2009, 1:27 PM
Unless you live in Michigan.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=6th&navby=docket&no=02a0346p

Casual Observer
05-14-2009, 2:47 PM
I have a friend who got convicted for DV almost 12 years ago. Is he forever prohibited from owning a firearm? I was told somewhere that the prohibition only lasts ten years and then you could petition the court to reinstate your firearms ownership rights.

There are some misdemeanor convictions that can result in loosing your gun rights for ten years (assault, battery, threatening someone with a weapon, etc.)

Domestic Violence is a different animal. In most states, just being arrested for DV results in a restraining order, which immediately revokes your gun rights as well, without waiting for a conviction.

ANY conviction in ANY jurisdiction prohibits you for life.

IIRC, the only way to get them back is to go to court and see if you can't plea to a lesser charge.

workinwifdakids
05-14-2009, 7:19 PM

Did he tell her to make him a sammich, and she wouldn't? That's an affirmative defense to a domestic violence accusation.

HowardW56
05-14-2009, 7:22 PM
Did he tell her to make him a sammich, and she wouldn't? That's an affirmative defense to a domestic violence accusation.

He wanted a sammich and a beer