PDA

View Full Version : 308 wolf ammo

sakeshouse
06-30-2005, 7:28 PM
I am hoping for some advise. just got a new savage bolt action in .308. had it at the range sighting it in etc. when one of the shells jammed. After a little fusing I got the spent cartridge out. Guy there at the range who was helping me get the action open saw the ammo, told me that the wolf stuff in packed "hotter" for nato specks and that is the reason it jammed. Said that the primers are also too hot and I could potentialy burn out the firing pin, and not to use it (the ammo) for anything short of a more military firearm. Any input would be appreciated. I mean the ammo is only 150 grain, I have hunting rounds with more powder than that. Thanks for the input.

Ratters
06-30-2005, 7:58 PM
Hmmm, haven't tried the wolf, but .308 Winchester is hotter than 7.62x51, much higher pressure. If it had the laquer sealer around the top of the case those have been known to stick if left in a hot chamber. Never heard of the primer thing. You can get Winchester white box .308 for pretty cheap at Walmart.

minion82@yahoo.com
07-01-2005, 6:12 AM
Like Ratters, it's been my experience that commercial ammo is hotter than milsurp. On the other hand, Wolf .308 is commercial. I don't know how much powder they use, or whether the case is NATO spec or SAAMI spec, but if it causes problems in your rifle, it's probably best to just switch ammo. I had a Savage .308 boltgun a few years ago that had the same problem, bolt sticking when using milsurp ammo.

BTW, this guy sounds like he was making up reasons off the top of his head. "Burn out the firing pin"? WTH?

PS: Your ammo has a 150 grain slug, not 150 grains of powder http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

imported_FW10ring
07-01-2005, 6:20 AM
I bought 1000 rounds of Wolf .223. It's not any hotter than any of the other stuff I shoot. I'ts not .308 but I thought a comparison would be informative.

I have round military ammo to be hotter in .45

C.G.
07-01-2005, 6:36 AM
Originally posted by FW10ring:
I bought 1000 rounds of Wolf .223. It's not any hotter than any of the other stuff I shoot. I'ts not .308 but I thought a comparison would be informative.

I have round military ammo to be hotter in .45
General rule of thumb: .308 is hotter than 7.62 Nato, but 5.56 Nato is hotter than .223. 9mm Nato is usually same as 9mm+P commercial.