PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO - Utah CCW class interest list

MaxPower
05-14-2009, 9:48 AM
Calling all San Diego (and Southern California) residents...

I am trying to determine if there is enough interest in taking the Utah CCW permit course to get an instructor to come down to San Diego.

I have e-mailed and/or spoken with the instructor as well as Project 2000 Shooting Range staff (to use their classroom) and they are both interested.

To get the instructor down here, we would need at least 10 (me + 9) committed. The classroom at Project 2000 has room for 15 or so.

If you are interested, please reply to this thread and/or PM me with your contact info. I would prefer to get closer to 14 or 15 confirmations, in case someone has something come up and can't make it (that way we still have at least 10).

For more information of the permit, the course, the costs, and answers to FAQs, see: http://mrccw.com/

I am trying to get as much included in the event as possible including pictures taken at class, a notary at class, and possibly a fingerprint person at class. There will be small fees for these (on top of the $99 class fee and the Utah application fees), but no more than you would pay by getting them on your own.

Thanks.

Old Timer
05-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Why not just go to the San Diego Utah CCW classes offered by local instructors right here? Bill Desy does an excellent job and includes the photos, finger prints, etc, in the price of the class.

MaxPower
05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Did not know about those. I'm new to shooting. Sounds like another good option though. Thanks.

lorax3
05-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Did not know about those. I'm new to shooting. Sounds like another good option though. Thanks.

"Our next weekend Utah CCW Permit Class is on Saturday May 30th, in San Diego . Please check the schedule page for our complete Class listing. Private Classes are always available to fit your busy schedule. CCW Permit classes on MOST Friday's at the American Shooting Center in San Diego. "

http://www.ccwusa.com/site/

ironcross
05-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Yea, American Shooting Center has these classes as well. Not sure if its cheap.

MAY 2009
San Diego - CCW PERMIT CLASS - Friday, May 15th, 2009 - 10:00AM to 2:00PM
San Diego - CCW PERMIT CLASS - Friday, May 22nd, 2009 - 10:00AM to 2:00PM
San Diego - CCW PERMIT CLASS - Friday, May 29th, 2009 - 10:00AM to 2:00PM
San Diego - CCW PERMIT CLASS - Saturday, May 30th, 2009 - 8:00AM to 1:00PM

http://www.ccwusa.com/site/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6&MMN_position=3:3

Fees: $150 Course Fee Includes Both Utah and Florida*

*Florida CCW Permit applications require proof of prior training or experience, or live-fire range qualification. There is an additional charge of $25.00 for range qualification if needed. Individual State application fees not included.

lorax3 beat me lol

SDI
05-14-2009, 2:57 PM
Agree about using local instructors vs. bringing someone in. Bill Desy is a fellow instructor in SD, and a good one.

EmtGuy
05-14-2009, 3:39 PM
What is the point of obtaining Utah CCW for California Resident? Noob Question...

JackOfClubs
05-14-2009, 4:03 PM
What is the point of obtaining Utah CCW for California Resident? Noob Question...

The Utah permit is valid in about half the country, including NV and AZ our nearest neighbors. (I think the total number is about 33 states, but I'm not sure.) Obviously, it doen't help you if you want to carry in CA, but it is much easier to get than a CA CCW so if you need to carry in one of those other states it is a viable option.

Here is a map (http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html) of states that recognize the Utah permit.

EmtGuy
05-14-2009, 4:11 PM
I assume CA residents are able to obtain these through this class people are talking about? You dont have to be a Utah resident to obtain Utah CCW??

Lucky Scott
05-14-2009, 6:04 PM
Just took the CCW class in Lake Havasu. Class was packed.
Lots and lots of interest.

SDI
05-14-2009, 6:38 PM
I assume CA residents are able to obtain these through this class people are talking about? You dont have to be a Utah resident to obtain Utah CCW??

Correct, just take the class.

JimAmentler
05-14-2009, 6:38 PM

That is correct. You must take the course from a Utah certified instructor and Utah will issue to non-residents of Utah. I run several courses a month in Northern California and have been for almost 5 years now. I even ran courses while serving in Iraq!

JimAmentler
05-14-2009, 6:39 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to add a plug for Bill Desy in SoCal. Great guy and fellow instructor!

Joliet
05-14-2009, 6:53 PM
Why not just go to the San Diego Utah CCW classes offered by local instructors right here? Bill Desy does an excellent job and includes the photos, finger prints, etc, in the price of the class.

+1:)

Ken

EmtGuy
05-14-2009, 7:34 PM
Awesome, think i shall sign up.... hmmm Sacramento or Livermore :)

MRCCW
05-14-2009, 7:53 PM
Max,

Either way is fine with me. There are several fine instructors in the San Diego area too, Bill is a great guy, truly a class act! Just like Jim, I plan to go north and south to provide my classes. The more people we can get on board with this permit the better bottom line.

My class provides the Photos and the Notary as well. As for the fingerprint cards, I would prefer my students get those done with someone with specific fingerprint training. If they are done incorrectly, they will get kicked back, and delay the processing.

My class fee is $99
Required Photo $5
Notary Service $10

We also provide the Utah "blue" fingerprint cards for you to get completed at the class.

Thanks

Voo
05-14-2009, 9:08 PM
+1 for William (Bill) Desy. I've heard good things about his CCW class and instruction.

dartbrandx
05-14-2009, 9:36 PM
I'm signing up for the Sac. class in June. I spend lots of time in NV. Might as well be able to carry there. I'm thinking about trying for one here in Placer co. but don't know if it's even feasible here.

sorry to hijack.

Glock619
05-14-2009, 9:49 PM
yet another for bill desy. Took class a month ago. What a great guy

PutTogether
05-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I just signed up for the May 30th class in Ontario.

ChrisDM
05-15-2009, 3:48 AM
I took mine from Bill Desy at the American Shooting Center off of Ruffin Rd, excellent class and he runs classes there all the time...

Chris

SDI
05-15-2009, 7:30 AM
[QUOTE=MRCCW

The more people we can get on board with this permit the better bottom line.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Your'e cracking me up. The better the bottom line for us instructors. I don't believe for a second that more Utah CCW's help the CCW problem in CA. It sure helps my bottom line though.
I teach martial arts and do firearms training at my school. Renting a 2,000sf building isn't cheap and teaching the Utah class has helped keep me in the black in these tough economic times.
Thanks to all that have taken my class.

MRCCW
05-15-2009, 9:52 AM
Well thats a pretty shallow way to look at the overall 2a picture. But to each his own I guess.

Never did I insinuate it had anything to do with California's issues. However, it is a protection issue for those that travel like me. By no means can I make a living off this, as a matter of fact, I anticipate I will be in the red for quite some time.

Laugh away fellow instructor, but there is a deeper meaning here. Moreover, we should be sticking together, Its all about being professional.

SDI
05-15-2009, 10:18 AM
I wasn't commenting on the 2A picture. I was commenting on your statement.
"The more people we can get on board with this permit the better bottom line."
I don't see where more people getting on board helps anyones bottom line except for the instructor.
Now if you are talking about self protection, I couldn't aggree more. That is why I have one myself.

Moving on.....

MRCCW
05-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Moving on.....

Agreed...

Jicko
05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Can someone tell me, after taking the class, what's the time limit for sending in the application??

JimAmentler
05-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Can someone tell me, after taking the class, what's the time limit for sending in the application??

You have one year from the date of the class for BCI to receive your permit application.

CCWUSA
08-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Thank's for all the compliments guys...I hadn't even seen this thread. :)

On that Bottom Line issue....Yeah, this is a business...but we picked this business, either Self Defense, or Firearms Training, or both, because we want to help people protect themselves from the Predators of the world. We may personally know the realities of life and death altercations, and we want to share those realities with people that can use this information, training, and attitude, to build their own personal safety strategy, and hopefully protect themselves and their families. I feel honored to be in this position, to do what I really enjoy doing, and to see the results of my classes and my students on the range, and to get paid for it is an extra bonus!

See you on the Range!!!