PDA

View Full Version : Single Shot Exemptions and 1911s

Sam
05-14-2009, 12:11 AM
I realize that single shot exemption questions pop up here from time to time but I just wanted to get this stuff right. A pistol is exempt from the roster if it is single shot, has a barrel that is at least 6 inches and the total length is at least 10.5 inches. Are there any other issues that I should keep in mind? I'd like to try this on a 1911 so are there any special slide/magazine assemblies that would readily convert a traditional 1911 pistol into a single shot pistol that meets the requirements? Are there any FFLs in Northern California that are aware and comfortable doing transfers using this exemption?
thanks,
Sam

hybridatsun350
05-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Am I missing something?

There are any number of 1911's on the roster. Why do you want a single shot for the purposes of bypassing the roster?

Sam
05-14-2009, 1:00 AM
Am I missing something?

There are any number of 1911's on the roster. Why do you want a single shot for the purposes of bypassing the roster?

I'd like to get me a Supergrade built to my specifications, but I suppose by the time they build it the roster might be gone...hopefully.

ke6guj
05-14-2009, 1:16 AM
One option is to use an SASS? upper. It is a single-shot drop-in upper for the 1911. One calgunner had one that offered up for loan to people who wanted to import a roster-exempt 1911, but I beleive he sold it a while back

s281c
05-14-2009, 8:27 AM
you mean like this?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/s281cobra/sass/DSCN1416.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/s281cobra/sass/DSCN1411.jpg

currently installed on a Springfield loaded with a scope but it's pretty easy to remove, just need to find a intermediate FFL that will install on a frame, and then find a receiving FFL that will DROS it.

ke6guj
05-14-2009, 12:21 PM
yup, thats the ticket.

Sam
05-14-2009, 12:41 PM
ooohhh aaahhh...

Got a source for those things?

ke6guj
05-14-2009, 12:47 PM
nope, like I said, fjold had one that he would lend to people do use as you would need, but he ended up selling it.

s281c
05-14-2009, 3:12 PM
ooohhh aaahhh...

Got a source for those things?

nope, they don't make these or the Pachmayr dominator anymore, if you can find one either usually runs about 5-600 for just the conversion unit.

If you're local to me and get all your transfer ducks in a row, I would be willing to loan it out, we'd just have to arrange for a deposit or some type of personal guarantee that I'd get it back.

Sam
05-14-2009, 3:45 PM
nope, they don't make these or the Pachmayr dominator anymore, if you can find one either usually runs about 5-600 for just the conversion unit.

If you're local to me and get all your transfer ducks in a row, I would be willing to loan it out, we'd just have to arrange for a deposit or some type of personal guarantee that I'd get it back.

thanks for the offer, whereabouts in CA are you? This also wouldn't be for awhile since it may take up to a year for Wilson to make a supergrade for me.

Would a 1911 be defined as a single shot if I put in an extra heavy recoil spring and modified a magazine to only accept a single round?

ke6guj
05-14-2009, 3:56 PM
Would a 1911 be defined as a single shot if I put in an extra heavy recoil spring and modified a magazine to only accept a single round?maybe with a disabled mag-release and a SLED. A magazine that can hold a round while the slide is forward with a round chambered would make it a two-shot firearm.

Even though the above configuration could be considered a single-shot handgun, it would NOT be roster exempt unless you ordered it with a long barrel to meet the dimensional requirements.

12133(b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

s281c
05-14-2009, 3:57 PM
thanks for the offer, whereabouts in CA are you? This also wouldn't be for awhile since it may take up to a year for Wilson to make a supergrade for me.

Would a 1911 be defined as a single shot if I put in an extra heavy recoil spring and modified a magazine to only accept a single round?

I'm in the Bay Area.

No that would not work because if I recall correctly there is a min barrel length and overall length.

besides if the mag can hold 1 and the chamber holds one that's not a single shot pistol.........

Sam
05-14-2009, 5:15 PM
Yeah I forgot about the length requirements when writing up that post. So lets say I pick up a cheap barrel, stick on extra metal to meet the length requirements, modify a magazine to accept 0 rounds and throw in a heavy recoil spring and I should be okay? What is the legal definition of "single shot"?