PDA

View Full Version : POST Test & CHP PAT Test ???s

slick_711
05-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi LEOs! I have two quick questions and google can't seem to help me, so I thought maybe I'd ask here.

I'm pursuing a LE career and at the moment focusing on my CHP packet. I've got their PAT test this Saturday morning, I'm not terribly worried about it but I can't find a description. I'm out of shape by my own standards but still in better shape than many guys my age so I'm sure I'll pass; I'd just like to know what to expect going into it.

Also, I've passed the POST test a few times now for various agencies, and I'm just curious what the scale or total score is for the test? I scored 62 the first time I took it (SDPD, and they said 48.5 was minimum passing) and scored 69 this month for CHP since I knew what to expect from the test. I just can't help but be curious what that 69 is out of?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

tyrist
05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
You should be in the best shape you could possibly be right now. If you are hired it will be physically demanding and you should not show up unprepared. Also you are competing against others and you should strive do score as high as you are able.

The POST test is a joke and very easy to pass. You need to be even better because you are competing against others.

Eroland7
05-13-2009, 10:42 PM
The part that fails most people is the 500 yard run in 2 minutes...

slick_711
05-13-2009, 10:44 PM
You should be in the best shape you could possibly be right now. If you are hired it will be physically demanding and you should not show up unprepared. Also you are competing against others and you should strive do score as high as you are able.

The POST test is a joke and very easy to pass. You need to be even better because you are competing against others.

I know I need to get into better shape, I'm just working too much at the moment. But when I say "out of shape by my standards"... I was a 4 year varsity wrestler, and then rowed crew in college for two years after I got out of the military. I don't exactly have low standards of fitness. :)

I know the POST test is a joke, but as you say, I'm competing against others, so I'm curious what it's out of or what the "average" score is just as a bit of a gauge to where I fall. I guess it's not really important.

CaliTheKid
05-13-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't know about CHP but other agencies have their own physical standard which are usually much more difficult than POST's. My agency for example-- the POST test was a joke when compared.

Do what you can to find out the exact work out the academy you are going to requires so you can be in shape for their work out specifically. If you can;t get that info-- it is safe to say it will involve large volumes of running, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, mountain climbers, and sprinting.

tnh10
05-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Hey I'm also trying to test with CHP, I am waiting for my first written test. How hard was that written test?

anyways, the answer to your question is here:

STEP 3. Physical Ability Test - The PAT is also pass/fail and involves a series of exercises that measure endurance, flexibility and strength. A vision test in also conducted during the PAT. The five-part PAT consists of the following:

100-Yard Sprint in 20 seconds or less
Upper Body Strength Test
Trunk Strength Flexion Test
Side Step
500- Yard Run in 2 minutes or less