View Full Version : Intra-familial transfer question

05-13-2009, 8:27 PM
I've looked - I don't think this has been answered. Sorry if it has - but then again it's nice to repost stuff like this occasionally so that people can refresh their memories regarding the transfer laws in CA.

My grandfather has given up hunting. He has a number of long guns and handguns that he wants to give me (goody!).

As I understand it, the handguns need to be transferred through an FFL.

What about the long guns?

Further, what if some of them are C&Rs? I have an 03 and a COE.

If the gun is a C&R long gun, do I have to do the 10 day wait?
What if it isn't a C&R long gun?

Most of these guns have been owned for a while. I doubt that he DROS'd many of them at all.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-13-2009, 8:43 PM
If you are both California residents then he can give all of the guns to you without going through an FFL. You would just need to send in the Intra-familial/Op-Law form to CalDOJ along with $19 for just the handguns.

Since you are an 03 FFL you will need to log any C&R firearms into your bound book.

05-13-2009, 8:57 PM
I believe this is covered in detail in one of Librarian's posts:

How to live in California and buy a gun, part 1 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1031661&postcount=15)
How to live in California and buy a gun, part 2 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1031665&postcount=16)

05-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks Mud.

And thanks Librarian!