PDA

View Full Version : Question about moving violations

glockmeister
05-13-2009, 8:28 PM
So.....I got a ticket by SFPD for not yielding to a pedestrain in the crosswalk. Yes, I saw the person the she hestitated, so I decided not to yield. So did all the other cars on the busy street (Geary Blvd).

Anyway, I never received the ticket in the mail. Called every week to make sure I am not "wanted" for not appearing. Nothing. The clerk tells me that I am off the hook since it's been over 3 months.

Just wondering if I am really off the hook. I have purchased a firearm since, so I am guessing if the DROS went through, then I am good.

Any LEO want to make me feel better about this? Afterall, I dont want to get a pleasant surprise next time I encounter an officer.

Thanks and stay safe!!

nobody33
05-13-2009, 8:35 PM
I lose tickets pretty often. After mounds and mounds of paper they bury me under it's pretty easy to do. I would check my DMV record in a couple months if I was you.

FLIGHT762
05-13-2009, 8:38 PM
Your DROS going through has nothing to do with the traffic citation, since it is an infraction. Because you received nothing in the mail doesn't mean you're off the hook.

Keep checking with the court for a while. If you used your correct home address on the citation, you may get some notification. Keep your copy of the citation. It could be the Officer's copy never made it to court or the citation got temporarily lost or completely lost. You may have lucked out, but give it some more time.

tyrist
05-13-2009, 9:54 PM
Your official notice was the ticket given to you. Show up on the citation date displayed on the ticket.

Steveo8
05-14-2009, 9:57 AM
I am not a LEO, but I have been told that they have 1 year & a day to file the ticket.

Ron-Solo
05-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Your official notice was the ticket given to you. Show up on the citation date displayed on the ticket.

Can be a pain in the ... but this is the best advice :thumbsup:

Matt C
05-14-2009, 10:16 AM

Yup, that's the only way to be sure.

Your DROS going through has nothing to do with the traffic citation, since it is an infraction.

If you don't show or pay and your DL gets suspended it will definitely be a problem when to try to DROS.

If you call the court or go visit the clerk they may be able to tell you if they have the case, but you can't really be sure unless you show up on the court.

jafount
05-14-2009, 1:27 PM
"Sign in the red box. Signing is not an admission of guilt, but a promise to appear on the date indicated."

heyeugenio
05-15-2009, 3:21 PM

Anyway, I never received the ticket in the mail. Called every week to make sure I am not "wanted" for not appearing. Nothing. The clerk tells me that I am off the hook since it's been over 3 months.

Thanks and stay safe!!

have shown up to the court on the date indicated on your cite and would have had one of the clerks/staff stamp and sign your ticket to show that you appeared as instructed.

Now that it has been 3+ mos. I would just go back and have them write a note for your records in the mean time.

When I worked in the courts we did this all the time so that the citee had some proof of trying to comply.

Hope this helps!

glockmeister
05-16-2009, 9:23 AM
so calling the courts and speaking to them on the phone doesn't cut it? I tried looking up the citation on the court internet site as well and nothing. clerk says there is no record as well. hm....

anyone know how to check the dmv record? can i go online or do i have to show up in person?

thanks everyone for the advice!! come to think of it, it's been waaaaay longer than 3 months. I am thinking almost a year now, but can't be sure.