PDA

View Full Version : Question about purchasing and registering a handgun

USMCALLEN
05-13-2009, 3:15 PM
I have a friend who knows a former Cop or retired forgot which one. But he used to own his own security company and use to sell guns to his workers for cheap. He still has guns but it just seems odd the way he goes about selling them. He says these guns arent registered but they are clean and brand new. All you gotta do is take it to a gun shop and register it. Is that possible? Wouldn't gunstore ask where you got it? If anyone can help me out I'd be very grateful. Reason being he has a few guns that I want for cheap price. Just dont want to be part of something illegal. Let me know thanks.

Turo
05-13-2009, 3:18 PM
He would need to take the gun to a registered dealer and do the transfer through them. I don't know if that means the guns themselves need to be registered then as well or not, somebody will let you know after I post.

Just as a precaution, don't do anything you think may be illegal/not-completely-legal, whether it's with a retired cop or anyone else.

Vin496
05-13-2009, 3:20 PM
Prior to 1991 there was no gun registration in this State, so yes there are still plenty of guns not registered. They are not illegal, just not registered.

If you want to buy one, the proper procedure is for the sell and buyer to meet at an FFL and do what's called a PPT(Person to Person) transfer. When you do the DROS the gun will then be registered to the seller.It will cost $35 bucks and you wait 10 days.

No one will ask "where this gun came from", the cool thing about PPT, is that the 1 gun every 30 day rule and the Safe Roster do not apply.

It almost reads like the guy told you, all you have to do is take the gun yourself and register it. That is not the case, the seller and buyer must go.

USMCALLEN
05-13-2009, 3:27 PM
Prior to 1991 there was no gun registration in this State, so yes there are still plenty of guns not registered. They are not illegal, just not registered.

If you want to buy one, the proper procedure is for the sell and buyer to meet at an FFL and do what's called a PPT(Person to Person) transfer. When you do the DROS the gun will then be registered to the seller.It will cost $35 bucks and you wait 10 days.

No one will ask "where this gun came from", the cool thing about PPT, is that the 1 gun every 30 day rule and the Safe Roster do not apply.

It almost reads like the guy told you, all you have to do is take the gun yourself and register it. That is not the case, the seller and buyer must go.

Thanks for the info I it seems like he dosent want to go to the gun shop he's all old and disgruntle. He was saying I can go there by myself and register it. I dont think thats possible is it?

Vin496
05-13-2009, 3:36 PM
Thanks for the info I it seems like he dosent want to go to the gun shop he's all old and disgruntle. He was saying I can go there by myself and register it. I dont think thats possible is it?

It would be odd, but I don't think it's illegal.

Think of it this way, you buy a handgun on Gunbroker and it is mailed to your local FFL. You then DROS the gun, in essence it's the same thing.

Your FFL may allow it, if they are willing to receive a gun from a non FFL. They would probably want a least a photo copy of his ID. The thing is that this would no longer be a PPT, but a dealer transfer. WHich means the 1 in 30 day rule and the Roster are enforced, if they are older guns, they may very well not be on the roster anymore. Your dealer would also be free to charge whatever he wants to do this, probably around $75 versus $35 for a PPT.

I'm going to link this in the 2A law section, it's an interesting topic.

ck867
05-13-2009, 3:47 PM
a PPT requires both parties to be there at the same time at the FFL for the transfer to take place.

USMCALLEN
05-13-2009, 3:57 PM
What if i get someone other than the person that sold it would that work? How about buying and then shipping it to the ffl and then transfering it to myself? The more we talk about this it makes me not want to buy it from him. I appreciate the info. I think he had one Sig P226 that i liked. Oh well. If any more info comes up please post. Thanks again.

bwiese
05-13-2009, 3:58 PM
I have a friend who knows a former Cop or retired forgot which one. But he used to own his own security company and use to sell guns to his workers for cheap. He still has guns but it just seems odd the way he goes about selling them. He says these guns arent registered but they are clean and brand new. All you gotta do is take it to a gun shop and register it. Is that possible? Wouldn't gunstore ask where you got it? If anyone can help me out I'd be very grateful. Reason being he has a few guns that I want for cheap price. Just dont want to be part of something illegal. Let me know thanks.

He's breaking the law.

And no sane CA gun shop will 'paper' the gun.

[Other similar arsehats suggest just filing a "voluntary registration" with DOJ, which is still a no-no.]

Just about all firearms transfers in CA need to go thru a CA FFL.

Very limited exceptions/exemptions are for C&R guns, intrafamily transfers, or inheritance/operation-of-law transfers.

If I didn't believe in stupid people, I'd've said this old fart is working off some felonies for DOJ/ATF.

Vin496
05-13-2009, 4:11 PM
He's breaking the law.

And no sane CA gun shop will 'paper' the gun.

[Other similar arsehats suggest just filing a "voluntary registration" with DOJ, which is still a no-no.]

Just about all firearms transfers in CA need to go thru a CA FFL.

Very limited exceptions/exemptions are for C&R guns, intrafamily transfers, or inheritance/operation-of-law transfers.

If I didn't believe in stupid people, I'd've said this old fart is working off some felonies for DOJ/ATF.

Let me ask you Bill, not taking into account the way he has handled the other "sales", is the dealer transfer an option?

Could you walk in with a gun, and a photocopy of the sellers ID and do it? I know it would be very unusual, but it's not illegal is it? I see it as no different than an FFL accepting a gun from an individual for a transfer.

Ishoot
05-13-2009, 5:50 PM
Seems a lot fishy to me...definitely not worth the $$$ I'd be saving. Just find another way and don't deal with the headache. IMHO

EmtGuy
05-13-2009, 6:30 PM
Whats to stop someone from bringing a gun into the state, giving to a second party and that second party taking the gun to an FFL and doing a PPT with a 3rd party? Of course the first and 2nd party would be breaking the law but as far as the FFL is concerned that would fly if it doesn't matter where the gun came from nor was it prior ca registered??

Vin496
05-13-2009, 6:50 PM
Whats to stop someone from bringing a gun into the state, giving to a second party and that second party taking the gun to an FFL and doing a PPT with a 3rd party? Of course the first and 2nd party would be breaking the law but as far as the FFL is concerned that would fly if it doesn't matter where the gun came from nor was it prior ca registered??

Why the need for it to go from 1st to 2nd party? Are you asking non resident(1st party) brings gun into State gives it to a resident(2nd party) then 2nd party sells gun to another resident via PPT. Basically "laundering" the gun.

The only reason to do that would be to illegally get a non rostered gun in State.

M. D. Van Norman
05-13-2009, 8:58 PM
A lot of folks on this thread are expecting gun-control laws to make sense.

EmtGuy
05-14-2009, 2:16 AM
yup because 1st party would be non CA resident. If thats the case and its that easy since no one cares where gun came from as long as u get it registered, wouldn't be supprised if people are already doing that. Noted you would be breaking the law.