PDA

View Full Version : ABA Hosts Gun Grabbing Conference

Shotgun Man
05-13-2009, 10:32 AM
The ABA is hosting a conference that hopes to educate governments on how to defend gun laws post-Heller. Faculty will include members of LCAV and the Brady Bunch.

http://www.abanet.org/cle/programs/t09grl1.html

adamsreeftank
05-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I like how one of the subjects is "Efforts to defend local governments".

It sounds like they think that since the citizens have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms, local governments are going to need to barricade themselves in against the marauding hoard.

RomanDad
05-13-2009, 11:31 AM
I loudly canceled my membership to that worthless group 8 years ago.

But one of the lawyers here should DEFINITELY listen in to find out the strategies, so we can use that info to our advantage....

Vtec44
05-13-2009, 11:32 AM

The truth is finally out, they have no interest in actually reduce crime and violence.

bwiese
05-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Seems one noted gun lawyer tried to attend a "gun regulation" conference, and it was cancelled rather than let him in (they were required to let him attend since it was continuing education, state required etc).

tiki
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Anyone can go.

$85 Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division, Criminal Justice Section, and Section of State and Local Government Law Members
$95 Government Attorneys
$125 ABA Members
$150 General Public
$60 Each additional registrant using the same phone line

7x57
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Seems one noted gun lawyer tried to attend a "gun regulation" conference, and it was cancelled rather than let him in (they were required to let him attend since it was continuing education, state required etc).

So we could shut down all gun regulation conferences by sending in conference registrations? Neat and efficient. :D

7x57

scc1909
05-13-2009, 1:36 PM

It sounds like they think that since the citizens have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms, local governments are going to need to barricade themselves in against the marauding hoard.
More to the point, I am saddened that so many levels of government in this country have lost the vision of government of, by and for the people. Instead, they have a vision of the government itself as the country, with the people as subservient subjects under it.

IMO local and State governments should be looking to implement the law as set out in Heller, not scheming with the liberal lawyer cabal to find ways to defy the law and undermine the will of the people.

But then again, I always was an idealist... :dupe:

Psy Crow
05-13-2009, 1:56 PM
IMO local and State governments should be looking to implement the law as set out in Heller, not scheming with the liberal lawyer cabal to find ways to defy the law and undermine the will of the people.

Interesting...
Does the oath of office for any of those gov't officials involved in this scheming include upholding the Constitution of the US?

If so, since the 2nd is incorporated (at least in the 9th Circuit per Nordyke), could they be removed from office for violating their oath?

Shotgun Man
05-13-2009, 7:39 PM
I had no idea that the ABA was such a zealous, frothing gun-grabbing organization.

I love this article:

Why Lawyers Should Work To Reduce Gun Violence

Background
The American Bar Association has been committed to addressing the problem of gun violence in our society since shortly after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963. A special Association task force recommended in 1965 the establishment of a national system of licensure of gun dealers and the passage of federal laws to prohibit sale to and possession of guns by convicted felons, minors, fugitives from justice and certain others persons whose behavior or legal status was inconsistent with responsibilities of firearms ownership and public safety. The ABA recommendations were a forerunner of the 1968 Gun Control Act, which today remains the primary federal statute regulating firearms sale and possession in the United States. Since 1965, the ABA House of Delegates has adopted numerous recommendations to strengthen the 1968 Act and to support more comprehensive societal policies to reduce gun violence.

ABA Policy Positions

The ABA supports effective control of the importation, sale, transportation and possession of handguns, federal safety regulation of the firearms industry, licensing with safety training for handgun owners, criminal background checks prior to purchase of firearms, imposition of severe penalties for use of firearms in commission of crime, strict regulation of possession of firearms by minors, and restriction of civilian access to military assault weapons. Support for passage of federal legislation to reduce gun violence is among ten legislative priorities of the Association.

Key Points

The rate of firearms homicide, suicide, and accidental death is dramatically higher in the United States than in any other industrialized society, despite six straight years of declining crime rates. Worldwide statistics show that the epidemic of violence that has hit younger children in recent years is confined almost exclusively to the U.S.. According to recent United Nations reports, nine out of ten killings of young people in the industrialized world happen in the U.S.. The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children aged less than 15 is nearly 12 times higher than among children in the other 25 industrialized countries combined.
While the ABA supports strict limitations on possession of firearms by minors and the imposition of severe, but not mandatory, criminal penalties for crimes involving firearms, we recognize that the response to gun violence must be more far-reaching and comprehensive than current law provides. Criminal penalties at best only address a portion of gun violence. Our society's failure to date to impose appropriate individual and business responsibility and accountability for ordinary manufacture, sale and possession of firearms makes any scheme of prevention, control or deterrence unworkable. Every year thousand of persons and families suffer injury and loss due to often-preventable misuse of firearms.

http://www.abanet.org/gunviol/docs/WhyLawyersShouldWorkToReduceGunViolence.pdf

7x57
05-13-2009, 7:44 PM
I had no idea that the ABA was such a zealous, frothing gun-grabbing organization.

I imagine they're in favor of employment for lawyers, and productive citizens charged with felonies can afford a lot more lawyer time than career criminals. I doubt there's much money in the PD office, but private practice....

Now that the 2A is a legally recognized right, I suppose there's still no possibility of turning the screws on a professional organization that advocates crime.

7x57

RomanDad
05-14-2009, 12:46 PM
I imagine they're in favor of employment for lawyers, and productive citizens charged with felonies can afford a lot more lawyer time than career criminals. I doubt there's much money in the PD office, but private practice....

Now that the 2A is a legally recognized right, I suppose there's still no possibility of turning the screws on a professional organization that advocates crime.

7x57

Its worse than that.... Thye're just another front organization for leftist ideals...

petey
05-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Of course the ABA supports increased restrictions on firearms ownership. Gun control is in their best interest.

The more restrictive and convoluted the law, the more likely that law is to be broken, intentionally or not. This means that more people need lawyers, especially criminal defense lawyers. Then there are the attorneys hired by manufacturers to defend the companies against civil suits....

More laws = more crime = more lawyers

DDT
05-14-2009, 2:11 PM
Its worse than that.... Thye're just another front organization for leftist ideals...

Roman; do you need any continuing education credits?

Gator Monroe
05-14-2009, 2:15 PM
65% of the folks there will be Democrats (Withe the rest being divided up between Libertarians ,Greens, Independants and GOP...:sleeping:

DocSkinner
05-14-2009, 8:59 PM
Always love that part GUN violence. All other violence is okay - we just want to make sure it isn't conducted with a firearm...

N6ATF
05-15-2009, 1:21 AM
Always love that part GUN violence. All other violence is okay - we just want to make sure it isn't conducted with a firearm... the most effective form of self-defense against criminals, by law-abiding citizens.

Fixed.

7x57
05-15-2009, 1:38 AM
More laws = more crime = more lawyers

Much as it pains me to quote Ayn Rand....

Rearden: "But, after all, I did break one of your laws."

Bureaucrat Ferris: "Well, what do you think they're there for?"

Continues bureaucrat Ferris: "Did you really think that we want those laws to be
observed? We want them broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bun
ch of boy scouts you're up against . . . We're after power and we mean it. You f
ellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you'd better get wise to it.
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the p
ower to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one m
akes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible
for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizen
s? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neit
her be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted [Frederick Mann: Obfusc
ation of meaning is a key element of the con games bureaucrats and politicians p
lay.] - and you create a nation of law-breakers - and then you cash in on guilt.
Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden, and once you understand it, you'll be much
easier to deal with.

7x57