PDA

View Full Version : BUYING PISTOL FROM DEALER AND CONVERTING TO SINGLE SHOT

chrisr
05-13-2009, 7:47 AM
Im looking to buy a Thompson Ta 5 pistol with a stick and drum included. The dealer will send the pistol to my FFL in its original configuration. When the Tommy pistol arrives then my FFL installs bullet button, single shot bobsled? Does the installation of the bb, sled need to be done before the pistol is shipped to my FFL paperwork etc? After the purchase I can take the bobsled out so it accepts a 10 rnd drum or stick? Does my FFL have to list the pistol as being single shot on the dros paperwork? THANKS

Rukus
05-13-2009, 11:56 AM
AFAIK it would have to come into the state in a legal configuration, meaning the dealer would have to install the parts, or it has to first be shipped to a middleman FFL outside of the state who will make the conversion and then send it to your FFL for DROS, etc.

crob241
05-13-2009, 8:40 PM
Not to be a party pooper but if you read the list of approved handguns it is specific about what a legal single shot pistol is, or isn`t. I may be wrong, sorry

Quiet
05-13-2009, 9:26 PM
It needs to be converted into a single-shot pistol prior to be imported into CA.

Unless the CA FFL dealer has an assault weapon permit.

gdict
05-22-2009, 11:42 AM
It needs to be converted into a single-shot pistol prior to be imported into CA.

Unless the CA FFL dealer has an assault weapon permit.

I believe that is incorrect. An AW permit does not allow you to deal in unregistered AW's. It is merely a license allowing to purchase >registered< assault weapons from their legal owners and subsequently sell them out of state.

A single shot pistol must be just that, a single shot pistol, BEFORE it enters California. A dealer is not exempt of this requirement, nor is an AW dealer.