PDA

View Full Version : Evil black assault handgun that doesn't need Cal-DOJ clearance AT ALL!

1JimMarch
05-12-2009, 8:43 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3651/3320547627_99cbbbb676_b.jpg

:cool2:

And yeah, it shoots great. Sights are a homebrew clone of a Goshen Hexsite:

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/index2.htm

This concept WORKS, although looks damned peculiar in this application. You hold both eyes open and focus on the target. The funky sights work even though both front and rear sights are "fuzzy" - somehow your subconscious can process a blurry hex better than it can process a blurry anything else :).

(For those not aware: SA revolvers of at least five rounds and at least 7.5" minimum length don't need to go through the safety check and published list thing.)

J-cat
05-12-2009, 8:51 PM
Needs more bayonet and more tacticle lighting... and a forward hand grip.

Saigon1965
05-12-2009, 8:55 PM
Bet that thing is fast to target acquisition - Like the BAC -

Tillers_Rule
05-12-2009, 8:58 PM
Nice, looks like a Mad Max sort of gun, if he'd had been a cowboy:)

Amacias805
05-12-2009, 9:03 PM
Needs more bayonet and more tacticle lighting... and a forward hand grip.

dont forget about the shoulder thing that flips up!!!:43:

Amacias805
05-12-2009, 9:04 PM
nice Revolver!

1JimMarch
05-12-2009, 9:54 PM
I have these blueprints floating around in my head for a CO2-powered ejector. Open the gate, hit the button, spin the cylinder, all six empties fly out in a stream.

:)

Then use a speedloader tube, in brass of course...betcha a 3 to 4 second total reload is possible.

:D

JTROKS
05-12-2009, 10:43 PM
No rail?

swerv512
05-13-2009, 3:43 AM
where's your bullet button?

hawk1
05-13-2009, 7:16 AM
Wow, it even has an evil happy face near the muzzle.
Good God man, think of the children...:eek:

Mr. Beretta
05-13-2009, 7:19 AM
I like it ! :thumbsup:

bluestaterebel
05-13-2009, 8:57 AM
cool happy face

ChrisDM
05-13-2009, 1:47 PM
This pretty much sums up what's so stupid about CA politics... This one is more deadly than half of the guns not approved on "the list"... What a joke... And a cool gun!

1JimMarch
05-14-2009, 4:49 AM
The logo isn't quite a "happy face" - it's the same thing as on my bike in roughly the same place:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3606/3373744087_b39f6af6f5.jpg

maxicon
05-14-2009, 7:57 AM
Nice sight picture! I really like the looks of that.

Probably not to fast out of the holster, but it looks really quick on target aquisition.

1JimMarch
05-14-2009, 8:05 AM
I'm doing a heavily modified fanny pack to allow daily carry of this beast in AZ :). Four pics of the holster start here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1jimmarch/3383300315/in/photostream/

gunn
05-14-2009, 8:50 AM
Has anyone compared this personally with a standard ghost ring or aperture sight? I would think that the operation would be similar if the rear sight was comparably sized (vs peep hole).

-g

xxdabroxx
05-14-2009, 10:34 AM
I have these blueprints floating around in my head for a CO2-powered ejector. Open the gate, hit the button, spin the cylinder, all six empties fly out in a stream.

:)

Then use a speedloader tube, in brass of course...betcha a 3 to 4 second total reload is possible.

:D

Your an autococker guy arent you. If not go to customcockers.com you can get your ejector working with what you can find on their forums.

need a ram, three way valve, and something to actuate it. Might have to go electronic and add an eye. You have me thinking.

1JimMarch
05-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't think a ram is necessary? Just put a gutted shrader valve into the hole in the frame where the standard ejector goes, hook that up to one of the portable bicycle airpumps based on a 16oz screw-in CO2 cartridge. Push the empties out with pure air pressure. It's not like they're in there all that tight.

I'm not sure what you mean by "autococker" - something to do with paintball?

QuarterBoreGunner
05-14-2009, 12:07 PM
*sigh*
Jim March; pushing the boundaries of the single action revolver, since...I don't know how long.

Good to see you on calguns again Jim.

PatriotnMore
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Needs a kick stand, and a bi pod.

1JimMarch
05-14-2009, 4:23 PM
Jim March; pushing the boundaries of the single action revolver, since...I don't know how long.

Heh. But you gotta admit, if God forbid I ever have to haul that cannon out in anger, it's gonna get some moron's attention and then some :D.

gunn
05-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Q: Can you point me to some donor material for the rear sight? ID = hex pattern, OD = circular?

WARDOG
05-22-2009, 4:13 PM
What Caliber? I'm assuming since it is a 6 shot, a .44 MAG? Do you hunt with it?
I'm not trying to hijack your thread. I figured you would get a kick out of the pic's since your a BIG BORE guy.
Here are a few shots of one we built about a year ago at JRH Advanced Gunsmithing. We specialize in converting Rugers like yours into a five shot .500 JRH Caliber Bear Buster, or even extreme calibers based on Magnum Research Frames.
We make other bohemoths like the one in the pic's. We originally made this for a customer in .45-70. It just wasn't enough for him so we bored it out to a .50-110 and put a new barrel on it.
The frame was reused but the cylinder and barrel were all made in house from scratch. We also cut rifle our own barrels. I don't consider myself a gunsmith, but I am a barrel smith and machinist.

LAYED OUT ready for barrel porting finishing and assembly
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e254/YankeeMetallic/JRH50-110conversionlayedoutc.jpg

CYLINDER COMPARISON with cartridges left to right:
.45 ACP, .500 JRH (440 grn), Maybe .45-90, and the actual chambering .50-110.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e254/YankeeMetallic/JRH50-110conversionb.jpg

BARREL CONTOUR
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e254/YankeeMetallic/JRH50-110conversionbarrel.jpg

a.tinkerer
05-22-2009, 8:46 PM
Go to Sears and pick up a deep-well 1/4" drive socket in a size that's about right for you.
Chuck it in the lathe and turn the square drive end off, that'll leave you with a round outside tube with a hexagonal bore.

Braze that to a sight dovetail and drift it in.

Q: Can you point me to some donor material for the rear sight? ID = hex pattern, OD = circular?

1JimMarch
05-23-2009, 9:47 AM

Go to Sears and pick up a deep-well 1/4" drive socket in a size that's about right for you.
Chuck it in the lathe and turn the square drive end off, that'll leave you with a round outside tube with a hexagonal bore.

Braze that to a sight dovetail and drift it in.

What I've done is very close. Inside the brass tube there's a chopped-up section of 5/16ths socket. At the top middle of the tube there's a small hole and another on the bottom, allowing a hex key from the top to drive a screw through the drilled-and-tapped topstrap.

Blackhawks are of course already tapped for the rear sight, so pull out the factory rear sight and you could assemble something like this in place.

As to caliber, since this is a personal defense piece I just stayed with the 357Magnum :).

bwiese
05-23-2009, 9:51 AM
(For those not aware: SA revolvers of at least five rounds and at least 7.5" minimum length don't need to go through the safety check and published list thing.)

They also need min 3" barrel length per 12133PC.

gunn
05-26-2009, 6:34 AM
Brilliant.
I have lots of spare sockets from random cheapie chinese socket sets. The spanners died a long time ago but I never threw out the spare sockets.
-g

ERdept
05-26-2009, 8:26 AM
People don't realize the term assault rifle and what it means.

Everyone thinks of an AK or AR.

The springfield '03 or the M1 Garand or the Colt SAA was the assault weapon of it's day.

Yet, everyone is focused on a silly term.

EXCELLENT post. A true assault revolver that non-gun people never know shee iiite about or will ever focus on due to pea brained thinking.

FlyingDesertEagle
05-26-2009, 8:40 AM
dont forget about the shoulder thing that flips up!!!:43:

Ah yes... the barrel shroud!

Someone should enact a law whereby any member of congress must eat their bill if they are proven to not understand any aspect of it.

1JimMarch
05-26-2009, 8:57 AM
Brilliant.
I have lots of spare sockets from random cheapie chinese socket sets. The spanners died a long time ago but I never threw out the spare sockets.

Right. In my case, I drilled a large hole straight through the side of the socket. That lets you get a hex key in from the top, and jigger a hex-nut screw down through the brass and into the topstrap. If the fit between the brass tube and section of socket is close enough, this "distorts" the brass tube very slightly and causes the socket remnant to fit snug in there. Then paint the forward face of the socket black at the rear end, use a bit of crazy glue applied from the front to make sure the socket remnant doesn't twist in the tube, and done.

jeffsenpai
05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Wasn't aware of the single action exemption.

So the Uberti Cattleman would be legal in CA?

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6302/1873cattlemanhombrenmma.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1873cattlemanhombrenmma.jpg)

SPECIFICATIONS:
Cylinder: 6-shot, fluted
Number of Grooves: 6
Twist: Right
Barrel Length: 4.75''
Total Length: 11"
Weight: 2.3 lbs.

1JimMarch
05-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Sure. ONLY a short-barrel (3.5") with a Bird's-Head or "Thunderer" grip setup, or the plowhandle grip as shown above with a 2" or so tube runs the risk of coming in under 7.5" overall (parallel to the barrel). So that gun as pictured (plowhandle or anything else with a 4.75" barrel) is going to be fine.

1JimMarch
06-11-2009, 6:00 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3629/3617053759_8136874cdb_b.jpg

This variant is much slicker out of the fanny pack holster and the front sight is now dead black, no glinting. It's been changed in there to a regular square post versus that "mini-hex" and the fiber optic core is gone.

The result is the absolutely most dead-black sights possible. Works GREAT if there's any light on the target at all.

From a shooting position you can't see the inside of the tube at all.

As a bonus it looks a bit more "period correct", like a smaller cousin to the full-barrel-length 19th century brass rifle scopes.

A real Goshen Hexsite gets a very black front from the use of high-grade polymer to avoid glinting. It's about the same profile as conventional sights so a real Hexsite setup is compatible with standard holsters. Since I make my own holsters I don't care so much about that :).

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/pistols.htm

Tim has given me one-off permission to develop and play with this homebrew clone of his work - but it is otherwise patented :).

A cop from Colorado who uses a real Hexsite setup recently wrote back to Tim after having had to draw down on a goblin with them:

Hey Tim,

This is the fifth time since you installed your Hexsites on my duty gun last year, that I have targeted a potentially dangerous felon. Again I was able to see the big picture, this time in very low light, in the rain at eight yards with the felon in burglar black clothing and gloves. Having both eyes open and focused on the target while looking through the sights, again, gave me the tactical advantage and confidence that I needed so if I did have to shoot, I would have definitely hit him center mass.

It was 0115 hours, just after talking with you about that confused guy on the web thread asking advice about shooting with only one eye open. I was thinking about what I would tell that guy when I got the call of a silent alarm at the bicycle shop. I was there in 45 seconds, peered into the lowest corner of the window and saw the burglar pulling a bike out of the rack inside the shop.

Alone as usual, I called for the Sheriff’s Office for backup, drew my sidearm and flashlight and moved to a position of cover under the eve of the barber shop next door to get out of the rain. I was about eight yards from the rear gate of the fence that surrounds the bike shop. The gate was open and two brand new bicycles were leaning against the garbage dumpster. I looked through the Hexsites while focusing on the open gate. There was some backlighting from a distant street light in the courtyard behind the fence allowing me to center the sights in the gateway.

Before the SO could get there, the burglar started to out of the gate carrying a bicycle. I could see my Hexsites faintly centered on his chest as I was looking at black clothing through black sights in the rain on a dark night. I turned on my high intensity flashlight momentarily blinding the felon. It is so cool to be able to look through the Hexsites and see everything in front of him, behind him and around him, and that his hands were empty as he dropped the bicycle as turned away while I was shouting commands at him. With that much illumination on him, the Hexsites stood out prominently on his chest and because I was able to track his body movement so easily through the sights, I had no doubt that if I had to shoot; it would have been a one shot stop on this predator.

So if you ever hear from the confused guy on the web thread, tell him in my twenty-five years as a cop and pointing and aiming guns at felons with all kinds of different sight configurations under every imaginable environmental conditions and lighting, his best bet is to throw away the night sights, the red inserts, 3 dots and the big white things, and keep both eyes open and on the target and look through the Hexsites to see the big picture in the gunfight.

Of course, the instructor in us should remind him that sighting the pistol is only one fifth of handgun shooting. Stance, grip, trigger manipulation and follow through are also vital for “target shooting” accuracy.

Again, my compliments to you and your sighting system.

Officer Tom Carline
Berthoud Police Department

The burglar ran off and made an escape - but NOT on a stolen bicycle. :43: And the cop says he's pretty sure they'll get the guy later.

The real point here is that the officer could tell the guy was unarmed and make the no-shoot decision in poor lighting, while holding the sights dead on the guy at the same time. He had perfect confidence in his ability to shoot AND do threat-ID simultaneously. With normal sights, you have to switch from target-focus to ID the threat and then to front-sight-focus to shoot, messing up your speed and confidence.

The Hexsite lets you do both at once. And the target-focus nature lets you easily hold both eyes open - it's far more natural than doing so with a front-sight-focus hold.

If it's not clear yet: this setup is BETTER than anything involving light-emitting sights (mainly tritium) because it doesn't interfere with what's in the background: the target. When you shine a flashlight in somebody's eyes in the dark, they can't see what's behind the flashlight. Same thing with tritium on a smaller scale.

For a while I tried fiber optic because it auto-dims as the light drops, but in all lighting conditions it's still more of a distraction than a help.

slick_711
06-11-2009, 6:17 PM
People don't realize the term assault rifle and what it means.

Everyone thinks of an AK or AR.

The springfield '03 or the M1 Garand or the Colt SAA was the assault weapon of it's day.

Yet, everyone is focused on a silly term.

Apparently YOU don't realize the term assault rifle and what it means...? :p

An '03 or Garand is nowhere near an assault rifle. Sure, every "weapon" can be used to "assault" someone, but assault rifle is actually a fairly concise term. It's political use of the term "assault weapon" that is silly.

"Assault rifle" is clearly defined as a rifle designed for combat; which is selective fire, compact, fires an intermediate cartridge, and is fed from a box magazine.

That Ruger looks pretty slick by the way. I like the look of the sights.

1JimMarch
06-15-2009, 7:33 PM
Better pics, including a "down the sights" shot...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2475/3630584151_db71ea1b65_b.jpg