PDA

View Full Version : A new twist - what's the best .22?

Buddhabelly
05-12-2009, 6:08 PM
We all know the stories about ammo prices and scarcity. So I want to buy a .22 pistol. The best one possible for target accuracy shooting. 6" or longer barrel?... Not exorbenately expensive. Less than $300 perhaps?

It's just for target shooting warm ups, technique fine tuning, etc...

lunde
05-12-2009, 6:13 PM
While I am sure that these are over $300, I am very fond of the Browning Buck Mark. I own three of them, one of which is kept out-of-state for two very good reasons:

http://lundestudio.com/photos/buckmark-tacsol-left-full.jpg

http://lundestudio.com/photos/buckmark-splash-left-full.jpg

http://lundestudio.com/photos/buckmark-tacsol-aac-left-full.jpg

Buddhabelly
05-12-2009, 6:32 PM
While I am sure that these are over $300, I am very fond of the Browning Buck Mark. I own three of them, one of which is kept out-of-state for two very good reasons:

http://lundestudio.com/photos/buckmark-tacsol-left-full.jpg

http://lundestudio.com/photos/buckmark-splash-left-full.jpg

I know you.
You are the bad, bad man with the most beautiful pictures of guns. You are in possesion of some of the most amazing guns around. I remember the HK P7's and many others you've posted. :D :thumbsup:

Kidding aside, how is the trigger action on these guns? Can you elaborate on them, aside from some of the choicest pix?

Where can I check them out in the South Bay?

RugerFanMan
05-12-2009, 6:38 PM
Gotta go with the Ruger MKIII. It's a classic, tried and true.

As a matter of fact, I just picked one up today. I cannot wait to plink with it.

Bukowski
05-12-2009, 7:40 PM
Mk II, Mk III, Buckmark will all suit you just fine. I have a Mk III Hunter that is one of the most accurate pistols I own. Any of these will be tons of fun. They only caveat is the Ruger's can be a bit of a PITA to break down the first time. It is however one of the gun owner's rights of passage (like cleaning the cosmoline out of a Mosin) that everyone needs to do at least once in their life.

aplinker
05-12-2009, 8:27 PM
Sig Trailside... if only we could still find them :(

After that.. . either the Ruger or the Buckmark are good. They're the ford/chevy.

buffybuster
05-12-2009, 8:35 PM
We all know the stories about ammo prices and scarcity. So I want to buy a .22 pistol. The best one possible for target accuracy shooting. 6" or longer barrel?... Not exorbenately expensive. Less than $300 perhaps?

It's just for target shooting warm ups, technique fine tuning, etc...

These are somewhat contradictory statements.

As others have stated the Browning Buckmark or Ruger MKII or III (prefer II) are your best choices. The SIG Trailside Target is nice but probably a little out of your price range and harder to find.

If you have some more money to spend, get a S&W M41 or locate an older High Standard Trophy, Citation or Victor.

maxicon
05-13-2009, 7:52 AM
These are somewhat contradictory statements.

As others have stated the Browning Buckmark or Ruger MKII or III (prefer II) are your best choices. The SIG Trailside Target is nice but probably a little out of your price range and harder to find.

If you have some more money to spend, get a S&W M41 or locate an older High Standard Trophy, Citation or Victor.

+1.

Under $300, the choice is easy. Come to think of it, over $300, it's easy too.

Legasat
05-13-2009, 7:56 AM
Ruger Mk Series. Very accurate, very reliable, not much money.

CA_SHARPSHOOTER
05-13-2009, 7:57 AM
+1 buckmark great gun for the cash, also if you have a p226 there is a conversion kit for 300 that is awesome as well:thumbsup:

HK Dave
05-13-2009, 8:06 AM
I hate you lunde. :(

WyoDuner
05-13-2009, 9:58 AM
Don't forget the Bereta U22 NEOS. Not quite as nice as a Buckmark but quite affordable, reliable and super easy to clean.

walter
05-13-2009, 10:24 AM
i shot the beretta at the range two days ago. pretty nice, didnt jam once. but looks too HALO for me

smittty
05-13-2009, 11:35 AM
The Ruger MKIII or MKII are the most reliable and feed the cheapest ammo. They have some expensive models but their least expensive are just as good.

The Buckmark/Camper is a nice target gun but it's fussy with ammo.

You will be very happy with one of the Rugers!

Buddhabelly
05-13-2009, 2:43 PM
The Ruger MKIII or MKII are the most reliable and feed the cheapest ammo. They have some expensive models but their least expensive are just as good.

The Buckmark/Camper is a nice target gun but it's fussy with ammo.

You will be very happy with one of the Rugers!

What gun shops in the Bay Area have these in stock? I've just stopped by Sportmen on Camden and they only had a pre-owned Browning Challenger.

maxicon
05-14-2009, 8:03 AM
What gun shops in the Bay Area have these in stock? I've just stopped by Sportmen on Camden and they only had a pre-owned Browning Challenger.

SS had a couple of Buckmarks recently. They change stock pretty quickly these days.

ColdDeadHands1
05-14-2009, 3:29 PM
Jackson Arms has a Ruger MKIII. $375 I think.

oakland1067
05-14-2009, 9:42 PM
Liked the Mark II, then fell in love with a Buckmark Target. But my heart will always belong to High Standard supermatic tournament

markw
05-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Do you have anything that will take a conversion kit? I'll probably pick up a Kadet .22lr for my CZ. That could be another route, converted 1911 or CZ.

bsg
05-14-2009, 10:22 PM
not in the right price range but... how about the old colt woodsman?

Buddhabelly
05-15-2009, 9:34 AM
SS had a couple of Buckmarks recently. They change stock pretty quickly these days.

What's SS?

In the South Bay, I can only think of Sportmen's, Reed's, Target Masters, Irvington Arms, Gun Vault.

Ladyfox
05-15-2009, 9:44 AM

If you are looking for a Browning Buck Mark, which has my vote over the Ruger, the Bay Area Gun Vault has several different models in stock. Reed's also had a few but not near the variety of Gun Vault.

I can also confirm that Irvington Arms did not have any as of last weekend.

neomentat
05-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Do you have anything that will take a conversion kit? I'll probably pick up a Kadet .22lr for my CZ. That could be another route, converted 1911 or CZ.

CZ Kadet kit is ultra reliable and dead nuts accurate and probably the easiest to clean too. I had a BM before and thought it was finicky with ammo chioce and a pain in the *** to clean.

MasterYong
05-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I have a Buckmark Camper, got it for about $300 a year ago. I'm sure they're a little more now but you can't go wrong EXCEPT that they will ONLY eat CCI Mini-Mags (the manual even recommends them!). In a way that's not bad, however, as it's been tough to find even .22LR lately but only the cheap stuff- CCI Mini-Mags are still readily available at thel ocal Big 5 and drug stores...

I am also very partial to Ruger MkIIs. Not MkIIIs- too many problems that I've heard, but the MkII is very similar and it's, uh, bulletproof.

maxicon
05-15-2009, 2:29 PM
What's SS?

In the South Bay, I can only think of Sportmen's, Reed's, Target Masters, Irvington Arms, Gun Vault.

Sportsmen's Supply...

SFFRONTMAN
05-15-2009, 9:04 PM
Im happy with my buckmark, it eats anything but winchester bulk packs.

supermario
05-15-2009, 9:40 PM
not in the right price range but... how about the old colt woodsman?

I saw one on consignment at Turners last year for $1200:eek:

supermario
05-15-2009, 9:42 PM

Is it me or does just about every gun out there jam with winchester bulk packs? That must be crappy ammo. My whole life i have always tried to use Federal ammo, like the Federal bulk packs from walmart and it ALWAYS shoots great out of every gun i have..

SFFRONTMAN
05-15-2009, 10:27 PM
It stinks, Rem gold bullet is only one step above it in my opnion.

tommygunr
05-15-2009, 11:32 PM

never had a problem with running winchester bulk in my buckmark. but i do like 38 grain high velocity federal better . http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/tommygunracer/100_0390.jpg

caldude
05-15-2009, 11:45 PM
I have a Buckmark and a Ruger MkIII, and I prefer the Buckmark. It's lighter, the grip is better, and the trigger is much better (after doing the Haggis flip). Both are about the same accuracy wise. The only ammo issues I've had with the Buckmark is with crappy Winchester. It must be some pretty weak ammo because I get FTEs in every semi-auto I tried it in.

SScott
05-16-2009, 5:31 PM
I want one.
I have a sister in Nevada so it doesn't have to come to CA
Tried to send it PM but I'm not sure it sent. Not sure why either.