PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about purchasing my first handgun in California

Quemtimebo
05-12-2009, 2:05 PM
I've got my eye on the Ruger Mark III standard, but nobody in town has got any. Because I don't have an HSC yet, I'm wondering if I should even bother ordering one. If I read the laws correctly, the safe handling demonstration has to be done on the model of gun that's been purchased. How can a person do that on an item that they have to special order? :confused:

If it does turn out that I can order one, would the DOJ consider the KMIII6 to be the same as the MIII6? Mechanically it's exactly the same gun, but the KMIII6 is in stainless. http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=10115&return=Y Am I stuck buying black? :helpsmilie:

SR-60
05-12-2009, 2:13 PM
IIRC, the safe handling demonstration can be performed when you pick up the handgun after the 10 day waiting period. That's what I did when I ordered online and then picked up the handgun from my local FFL.

Quemtimebo
05-12-2009, 2:14 PM
IIRC, the safe handling demonstration can be performed when you pick up the handgun after the 10 day waiting period. That's what I did when I ordered online and then picked up the handgun from my local FFL.

SWEET! :clap:

SR-60
05-12-2009, 2:21 PM
From the FAQ re: HSC program on the CA DoJ website19. When must the safe handling demonstration take place?

The safe handling demonstration must be performed on or after the date the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) is submitted to DOJ, and prior to the delivery of the handgun. You may find it helpful to perform the safe handling demonstration prior to actually initiating the DROS to ensure that you will be able to take possession of the make and model you select.

Just order it and enjoy!

Quemtimebo
05-12-2009, 3:02 PM
In regards to purchasing a tapered barrel model in stainless, why do you suppose it isn't on the DOJ list? Do they think stainless is more deadly than blued steel? :rolleyes:

Librarian
05-12-2009, 3:39 PM
In regards to purchasing a tapered barrel model in stainless, why do you suppose it isn't on the DOJ list? Do they think stainless is more deadly than blued steel? :rolleyes:

Need to ask Ruger - they're responsible for submitting the gun to DOJ.

Maybe the model came out after the loaded chamber + magazine disconnect became mandatory.

See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/The_Safe_Handgun_List and remember the Roster has nothing at all to do with safety.

MKE
05-12-2009, 3:46 PM
You know you want that gun. :43: Just do it! :thumbsup:

Shadowdrop
05-12-2009, 6:43 PM
Where are you located? I saw one at On Target in Laguna Niguel last week, I believe it was $325.

Wompinblazer
05-12-2009, 10:08 PM
HAHAH, "Safe Handling" demo. Seriously, the dude who handed me my USP asked if I knew anything about the weapon, and I responded "everything" (long story but I used to own it) and just had me sign the receipt (after my 10 days of course).

Most operate the same way. The slide release is pretty obvious, the mag release is obvious, and while doing the SHD, make sure you dont point it at anyone.