PDA

View Full Version : Federal Jury Service and UOC to Santa Ana

command_liner
05-12-2009, 12:50 PM
It seems I will be on a Federal Jury at the USDC Santa Ana starting in
a few weeks.

Say I had a desire to UOC (truly I would rather CC), and wanted to
check my weapon at the courthouse. Does the Santa Ana Fed court
have a good check-in policy for firearms for jurors? Probably not.
So far the clerk of courts has not been helpful.

Why carry? Well, is in Santa Ana. It is also just about too close
to drive, but a long walk. On a clear day if I stand on my roof I can
see the court building. Last jury service a few years back for
the local court I rode my bicycle and it worked out well.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

pullnshoot25
05-12-2009, 1:02 PM
a few weeks.

I don't think California courts provide weapons storage. Aside from the storage aspect, I think that would be all A-OK.

Give them a call and see I guess...

bwiese
05-12-2009, 1:03 PM
I see upcoming drama.

Untamed1972
05-12-2009, 1:06 PM
a few weeks.

Unless you're licensed to carry I'd be pretty leary of going anywhere near a federal building of any kind let alone a court house. Sounds like a heap of trouble waitin' to happen. But on a side note.....if you get arrested for it then you'll have a good excuse for getting out of jury duty.

bussda
05-12-2009, 1:15 PM
It seems I will be on a Federal Jury at the USDC Santa Ana starting in a few weeks.

Say I had a desire to UOC (truly I would rather CC), and wanted to check my weapon at the courthouse. Does the Santa Ana Fed court have a good check-in policy for firearms for jurors? Probably not.

Why carry? Well, is in Santa Ana. It is also just about too close to drive, but a long walk. On a clear day if I stand on my roof I can see the court building. Last jury service a few years back for the local court I rode my bicycle and it worked out well.

In the state of California, no public government provides for personal item storage while you are in the facility. As this is Federal, they may even prohibit storage in your vehicle. Read your jury summons, it will state the dangerous weapons policy. Mine did.

This is not meant to restrict your self defense, just prevent individuals from leaving bombs in briefcases at the security checkpoint.

Want to pursue it further, expect a visit from some U.S Marshals. They are reponsible for federal court house security. It is not that they don't understand, it is just their job.

7x57
05-12-2009, 1:22 PM
a few weeks.

check my weapon at the courthouse.

:banghead:

7x57

7x57
05-12-2009, 1:24 PM
Want to pursue it further, expect a visit from some U.S Marshals.

Here is an example of the sort of visit you should expect....

:7:

7x57

RomanDad
05-12-2009, 1:24 PM
You wont make it two steps in the door before unpleasant things begin to happen to you.

N6ATF
05-12-2009, 1:26 PM
:popcorn: :33:

7x57
05-12-2009, 1:26 PM
I see upcoming drama.

You can look but you can't touch it,
If you touch it I'ma start some drama,
You don't want no drama,
No, no drama, no, no, no, no drama

:D

7x57

command_liner
05-12-2009, 1:40 PM
The jury summons is free from comment about dangerous weapons.

(Gee, how does 'unusual and dangerous' fit in here? What if my weapon
was on the 'not unsafe' list? What if it was the same weapon carried
by the Marshall at the door?

There must be some interesting Nordyke + Heller interaction close by.
This question is probably not ripe. Interesting federal civil rights
versus civil duty issue for future litigation.)

The jury summary does mention that jurors happening to be Postal Service employees get paid parking fees. Huh?

demnogis
05-12-2009, 1:52 PM
Call ahead of time. In some states they require that government buildings provide safe storage for firearms. These buildings are usually off-site but still government buildings.

When I went to the local Santa Ana courthouse I was OCing even parking in the parking structure. Locked it up there before entering. I would rather not risk taking a firearm into a "secure" government building even when they are expecting you to check in a firearm. Not in CA at least...

Also!!! Be mindful of schools in the area. I'm not sure where the federal building is, though. Just be cautious. If you do get stopped, and detained the "I didn't know" argument won't help you until you're in the defense chair. Cops here will undoubtedly not give you a chance to stow yer weapons.

bussda
05-12-2009, 2:25 PM
The jury summons is free from comment about dangerous weapons.

The on call Federal court summons I received had that information. Wonder why it is missing? Maybe under the section of security screening?

They really hate it when a juror shows up and it causes problems. Not that they don't appreciate jurors, but when one has a problem all the jurors in the building tend to become very difficult. Especially the ones who don't want to be there.

Decoligny
05-12-2009, 2:32 PM
The Federal Jury Duty website http://www.cacd.uscourts.gov/CACD/Jury.nsf/6e5cbf3f47f54631882567cb00715e2e/65e1f6cefed3261e882569e300776735?OpenDocument says "Important Information: All persons entering the Courthouse are required to bring a valid photo ID. Jurors are required to pass through an electromagnetic magnetometer (metal detector). Please do not bring anything that may set off the detector. You may bring laptop computers and other personal computing devices. No picture taking is allowed."

pullnshoot25
05-12-2009, 2:34 PM
You wont make it two steps in the door before unpleasant things begin to happen to you.

He doesn't want to take it in, he is just asking if there is storage for his gun while there,. However, that might mean the gun will be brought inside the courthouse, though not by him.

You can't carry a gun INTO a Federal/State/Local gov't building, but you can carry it...

* about
* above
* against
* along
* around
* before
* behind
* below
* beneath
* by
* from
* near
* opposite
* outside
* over
* past
* toward
* towards
* under
* underneath

... the building, the grounds of the building, etc. No laws being broken doing that.

Sam1
05-12-2009, 2:57 PM
:lurk5: go for it and post what happened from jail

Maestro Pistolero
05-12-2009, 3:10 PM
Bailiff or Marshall:"Yes sir, we'd be happy to take care of your weapon for you"

Just don't expect to see again anytime soon.

DippyPower
05-12-2009, 3:37 PM
With all the schools in the area you are just going to cause more problems than it is worth. There are very few ways to the Ronald Reagan Federal Court House with out passing a school.

wildhawker
05-12-2009, 3:41 PM
You can look but you can't touch it,
If you touch it I'ma start some drama,
You don't want no drama,
No, no drama, no, no, no, no drama

:D

7x57

http://www.guy-sports.com/fun_pictures/hell_freezing.jpg

With regards to OP, acts without value are better left undone.

domokun
05-12-2009, 3:47 PM
http://www.guy-sports.com/fun_pictures/hell_freezing.jpg

With regards to OP, acts without value are better left undone.

+1 on this. Just leave it at home or securely locked and unloaded in your trunk for the duration for your jury service period.

command_liner
05-12-2009, 4:44 PM
I will submit a question to the court and see what they say.
It would be nice to get the judge to issue the Marshals an
order to hold my weapon while I perform my civic duty.

Since I will be riding a bicycle, there will be no place to store
any firearm when I get to court, except somewhere in the court.

Yes, there is some value to the act. I need to ride through
illegal alien drugland regardless if I take Edinger, McFadden
or 1st Street across to head toward the Fed court building.
Any rational person would want to carry along that route.

Shotgun Man
05-12-2009, 4:49 PM

I like it.

It sorta reminds me of a time when I had jury service over multiple days. The Jury Commissioner folks told me I couldn't wear short pants. I told them I had a constitutional right to wear short pants. They backed down and no judge challenged me. I would have loved for a judge to have hassled me over it.

Do keep us posted.

7x57
05-12-2009, 5:09 PM
I told them I had a constitutional right to wear short pants.

Well, now, *that's* an expansive reading of the Constitution. :chris:

Do you feel that an implied right to bare legs is protected because it is necessary to secure the enumerated right to bare arms? :D

7x57

wildhawker
05-12-2009, 5:33 PM

I know the area well. Trust me, I sympathize with your desire for an appropriate means to self-defense; my point is simply that you are more likely to attract unwanted attention (from the population, as much as LEOs) with very little upside.

Liberty1
05-12-2009, 5:37 PM

If he hadn't posted the desire here I would have said "I doubt that" to your comment. The US Marshals checked my gun at the Federal Building in SF ( I am a CA leo) but all I said is I need to lock up my gun (I was not in uniform and did not say I was a leo) and I was led to a gun locker where I locked up my gun and took the key. Then I entered the building propper...

I was not asked for ID or anything...I was CC however...

RomanDad
05-12-2009, 5:50 PM
If he hadn't posted the desire here I would have said "I doubt that" to your comment. The US Marshals checked my gun at the Federal Building in SF ( I am a CA leo) but all I said is I need to lock up my gun (I was not in uniform and did not say I was a leo) and I was led to a gun locker where I locked up my gun and took the key. Then I entered the building propper...

I was not asked for ID or anything...I was CC however...

Jeesh... I cant even get a cell phone camera in the federal courthouse without a cavity search.

Liberty1
05-12-2009, 5:56 PM
Jeesh... I cant even get a cell phone camera in the federal courthouse without a cavity search.

This was in the foyer and before the metal detector. Sometimes if you act like you're doing what you are supposed to be doing no one sees anything unusual. I'm assuming they thought I was a leo and in this case they were correct.

I'd love to OC in to one of your BOS meetings only for OCSD to find out I'm exempt from 171b and can attend a public meeting openly armed but I won't do that to you guys.

tyrist
05-12-2009, 8:34 PM
Don't bring your gun to a federal court.

DDT
05-12-2009, 9:18 PM

Maybe they just like you.

NiteQwill
05-12-2009, 9:23 PM
I'd love to OC in to one of your BOS meetings only for OCSD to find out I'm exempt from 171b and can attend a public meeting openly armed but I won't do that to you guys.

That would be so great. I'm sure Hutchen's deputies would go ape-***t :D

Kid Stanislaus
05-13-2009, 7:57 AM
Look, we've got expert people trying to set up the right court suits to make the Heller/Nordyke decisions work for us. They know what they're doing. Why not just let them finish that up before hauling off and doing something that could throw a monkey wrench into the works? Yeah, I'd like to UOC right here in Oakdale, but I won't because I know other people are laying plans to promote our position and I just don't want to take a chance on screwing that up.

Untamed1972
05-13-2009, 7:59 AM
Why carry? Well, is in Santa Ana. It is also just about too closeto drive, but a long walk. On a clear day if I stand on my roof I can see the court building. Last jury service a few years back for the local court I rode my bicycle and it worked out well.

If the courthouse is that close you could always take a cab so as not to hafta walk thru the bad neighborhoods. A few bucks a day for cab fare would be cheaper then legal defense fees for gettin' busted with a gun at a fed. courthouse.

command_liner
05-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Problem Solved, sort of.

The head jury commissioner says my service at the FVPD
provides a 14(4) exemption. I have been excused.

I sent the question about weapons lockers at the Santa Ana Federal
Courthouse, but since I was excused, no answer was supplied.

pullnshoot25
05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Problem Solved, sort of.

The head jury commissioner says my service at the FVPD
provides a 14(4) exemption. I have been excused.

I sent the question about weapons lockers at the Santa Ana Federal
Courthouse, but since I was excused, no answer was supplied.

This could have been epic... damn!

GuyW
05-14-2009, 11:01 AM
I sent the question about weapons lockers at the Santa Ana Federal Courthouse, but since I was excused, no answer was supplied.

So? That doesn't let them off the hook. As a citizen, you deserve an answer....

N6ATF
05-14-2009, 3:40 PM
So? That doesn't let them off the hook. As a subject, you deserve a BS reply that in no way reflects any law or rule whatsoever....

Fixed.

Bruce
05-14-2009, 7:03 PM
Don't even think about it. In a Federal Courthouse, even a UNIFORMED police officer cannot carry into a courtroom. The judges will have the bailiff/U.S. Marshal's deputies take them into cutody. :eek: Ironically, a cop in plain clothes can carry concealed without a problem. Open carry offends the Federal courts.