PDA

View Full Version : CCW and the coast gaurd.

Humboldt
05-12-2009, 9:40 AM
Could someone enlighten me on CCW while fishing in the ocean. I usually like to carry when I go fishing on the ocean because the area where I launch my boat is dense with criminal activity. Recently I was fishing in the bay at 2am when a coast gaurd patrol vessel cruised by and I had a bit of a panic wondering if I was in violation of some law, luckly they just keep going and I didn't have to go through the motions of a search. Thanks.

Scout106
05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Why not call the USCG and ask them?:confused:

pullnshoot25
05-12-2009, 10:52 AM
On your own personal boat you are fine w/o a CCW. You can even have loaded long guns.

On a fishing trip with a valid fishing permit, you are fine w/o a CCW.

Just don't go into international waters.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

GMG
05-12-2009, 10:56 AM
You definitley don't want to have a gun in Mexican waters. They can take your gun, boat, you and anyone else on your boat!

1JimMarch
05-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Because cops of any sort (and the Coasties are "sorta cops") NEVER GIVE YOU THE STRAIGHT SCOOP ON GUN LAW.

Ever.

God almighty, pay attention to what's going on right here on this board. HOW many times have cops screwed up the gun laws? How many times has Cal-DOJ, allegedly the "highest" level of cop in the state, prosecuted "assault rifle" cases that weren't? It's discussed daily.

Jesus H. Christ.

Liberty1
05-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Just don't go into international waters.

What's wrong with IW? Is there any law out there at all? FA rock-n-roll:punk:

demnogis
05-12-2009, 11:36 AM
They will outright tell you they cannot give legal advice. Look for the applicable codes.

As for international waters... Why could you not be armed on your boat? If you're not in Mexico's waters, US's waters or Canada's waters, what laws are you violating on the open seas?

NiteQwill
05-12-2009, 1:50 PM
Coming from someone who has a several years of sailing [and racing] experience. Had to take the USCG test, blah blah.

There is no law/treaty preventing you from having loaded guns in your boat in international waters. Just don't go into another sovereign nation's waters (like Mexico or Canada) or you're toast. Mexico will easily throw you in jail. This happens many times to several people each year in the Race to Ensenada.

pullnshoot25
05-12-2009, 1:52 PM

Not so much taking it out but bringing it back in sans paperwork is considered importation IIRC.

There is some special crap that needs to be done in order for transcontinental weapons travel to occur.

Texas Boy
05-12-2009, 6:01 PM
Can't speak to the nautical aspect, but I have transported firearms to/from Canada by private aircraft. Did all my homework prior, knew the regs and what to expect, etc.

Landed in Canada at official "point of entry" and taxied to customs area. No one shows up. Wait a while, STAY INSIDE AIRPLANE...finally call CANPASS and tell them my situation..."Oh, OK, no problem, here is your entry number...."

Me - "OK, but I have firearm, don't I have to report it and fill something out?"

Canpass - "is it a long gun?"

Me - "Yes"

Canpass - "OK, here is your number for the gun .......Have a nice day!"

That was it. Coming back into the US the I don't recall any questions about guns. The customs guy just took a quick peak to make sure my plane wasn't packed with drugs and illegals, signed the paperwork and said have a nice day. And BTW - this was all post 9/11.

JDay
05-12-2009, 7:01 PM

Nope, while in international waters you are bound by the laws of the country your vessel is registered in. Just make sure you have the US flag flying while out there.

JDay
05-12-2009, 7:02 PM
Not so much taking it out but bringing it back in sans paperwork is considered importation IIRC.

There is some special crap that needs to be done in order for transcontinental weapons travel to occur.

How so, you are on a vessel registered to and flying a US flag. Legally it is considered US territory while in international waters afaik.

abalone hunter
05-12-2009, 7:20 PM
There is no crime here in Eureka and the bost ramp has all those secutity guards dressed up like homeless people.

NiteQwill
05-12-2009, 8:03 PM
How so, you are on a vessel registered to and flying a US flag. Legally it is considered US territory while in international waters afaik.
He was replying in regarding the use of FA in international waters AFAIK.

There is no crime here in Eureka and the bost ramp has all those secutity guards dressed up like homeless people.
:confused::confused::confused:

JDay
05-12-2009, 9:22 PM
He was replying in regarding the use of FA in international waters AFAIK.

:confused::confused::confused:

Which is still legal, you just need the tax stamp to avoid getting arrested by the USCG.

abalone hunter
05-13-2009, 4:30 PM
I talked to the c.g. in Eureka today . If you have a c c w tell them when they ask and there is no problem if you don't and they find it you may have a problem without a c c w good luck.

DDT
05-13-2009, 4:35 PM
I talked to the c.g. in Eureka today . If you have a c c w tell them when they ask and there is no problem if you don't and they find it you may have a problem without a c c w good luck.

If you are on a fishing trip in California waters you can carry concealed.

12027. Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the following:

(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition.