View Full Version : Retired K9 Adoption?

05-12-2009, 7:45 AM
Was wondering if anyone can post or pm me contact info for adopting a retired service K9. I have adopted from the German Shepard rescue foundation in Camarillo, and would be interested in adopting a retired service dog. Thanks :)

05-12-2009, 9:48 AM
Usually the handler takes them. At least, that's the way it goes around these parts.

05-12-2009, 7:30 PM
Thanks for the post, I figured the bond between handler and service animal was stronger than separation after retirement!

05-13-2009, 8:20 AM
Same in my department. The handler will retire the dog into a life of treats and naps and belly rubs.

05-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Same with every department I know of. You have to be really connected to get one of those dogs.

05-13-2009, 3:34 PM
Of the departments I know, they are adopted by someone close to the handler, but not the handler themselves. Its hard enough on the dog not working, but seeing the new dog leave for work every day just about kills them.

Shawn L
05-13-2009, 3:37 PM

If you like Malinois

05-14-2009, 9:31 AM
Many Depts will not adopt them outside of the handler due to liability issues.

05-14-2009, 9:57 AM
Just read a post on my go-to dog forum where someone was buying/ adopting a retired police dog that supposedly had his Schutzhund training "de-programmed". :rolleyes:

The consensus was this type of dog was not for the novice dog handler.

05-14-2009, 7:56 PM
Handlers most often adopt the dogs on retirement. The few dogs I've seen that came out of programs for adoption were dogs that bilged out of training. Greate dogs, just couldn't get it all which meant they couldn't proceed with further training or be certified.

I'd be suspect of any claim of "de-programming". I have a good deal of experience with Belgians and they don't forget.

05-14-2009, 8:54 PM
I was speaking with a handler of a local socal agency who indicated that his earlier K9 was unable to range and hence retired, he went on to get another dog, and I would gladly adopt that retired K9. I am guessing there are about two to three dozen K9s in the south bay, thus a very low probability of getting a retired dog.

05-15-2009, 11:38 AM
That's how it worked with our dope dog. He put in nearly seven years on the street and when he retired, he came home to his favorite couch and spent the rest of his days being the king of the house. His daughter is now the queen, has a nose as good as her dad, but not his nerves of steel.

I've heard of the puppies of service dogs being adopted out, but not the police dogs themselves.

Good luck in your search!

05-19-2009, 8:53 PM

If you like Malinois

Mali's rock! My current partner is a malinois. In my department adoption of k-9's are in the following order of precedent, the handler, within the k-9 division, within the agency, outside the agency.