PDA

View Full Version : WTT: 14.5" Complete Upper Chrome Lined Mil-Spec

xounlistedxox
05-11-2009, 10:37 PM
MOVED TO PARTS AND ACCESSORIES

I have a lightly used 14.5" Upper for trade.

saiga101
05-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Not trying to thread crap or bust up the sale but uppers usually belong in parts forum since there is no dros and the lower is the part concidered a firearm..also youll probably get more hits with people looking for uppers.

good luck :thumbsup:

bwiese
05-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Please also state whether or not the upper has a pinned/welded muzzle device bringing it up to rifle-minimum 16" bbl length.

That way people can make appropriate decision as to legal configurations.

xounlistedxox
05-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Prior to purchasing this upper I called CA DOJ on the phone and asked what would be considered a "permanent" attachment. They told me Red Loc Tite. There is no text in any law that specifies what a "permanent" attachment is that I have found.

The Phantom that is on this upper is attached by the method above which was the recommendation of the Californi Department Of Justice

darkest2000
05-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Sorry but in this case you need to talk to the ATF, NOT DOJ.

ATF requires silver solder or pinned as acceptable methods of permanent attachement short of welding it.

xounlistedxox
05-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Please show me where this is specified in writing.

IsaacGlass
05-11-2009, 11:57 PM
I couldnt find it on the BATF website but even Bushmaster mention something to
the fact it should be pinned in order to be BATF legal.

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_PCWA3X_14M4IZ.asp

edit:
I google BATF legal barrel length and got lots of good hits.

darkest2000
05-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Please show me where this is specified in writing.

Go here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/chapter2.pdf

Read section 2.1.1 and 2.1.3.

It states, and I quote:

2.1.3 Rifle. A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and designed to use the energy of
an explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled barrel for each single pull
of the trigger.11 A rifle subject to the NFA has a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
| 12 inches ________|
The length of the vast majority of shotgun barrels is measured from the muzzle of the barrel to the face
of the breech on a line parallel to the axis of the bore. In the case of a shotgun having a chamber(s) not
an integral part of the barrel, such as a revolving shotgun, the barrel length is measured from the muzzle
to the front of the separate cylinder and does not include the chamber. NOTE: Any muzzle attachment
such as a compensator, choke device, muzzle break, etc., is not included in the barrel length
measurement unless the attachment is permanently affixed to the barrel. Acceptable methods for
permanently attaching a device to a shotgun barrel are deep penetrating, full fusion, gas or electric steel
seam welds or high temperature silver solder.
11 26

xounlistedxox
05-12-2009, 12:03 AM
I know that many manufacturers pin and weld setups like these because they are much more out in the open for getting in trouble from ATF etc.

I notice the only part that talks about muzzle devices counted as barrel length is referring to shotguns not rifles.

darkest2000
05-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Same exact paragraph is listed under both shotguns and rifles. You can interpret it however you want as long as the buyer is aware.

The item itself is legal to sell either way.

IsaacGlass
05-12-2009, 12:16 AM
I read something on AR15.com that someone tried to DROS a 14.5 AR
and FFL refused because the muzzle break wasnt pinned. As I said
Google it you will see tons of hits under this topic.

xounlistedxox
05-12-2009, 1:23 AM
Trade Pending