PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff’s department will sell concealed weapons permits

pat038536
05-11-2009, 10:25 PM
http://www.timesleader.com/news/Sheriff_rsquo_s_department_will_sell_concealed_wea pons_permits_05-10-2009.html

Sheriff’s department will sell concealed weapons permits
They will be available at the Hazleton sub-station.

Times Leader staff

HAZLETON – Luzerne County Sheriff Michael A. Savokinas said the Hazleton sub-station of the sheriff’s department will be issuing concealed weapons permits from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Thursday and Friday.

The sheriff’s department will conduct extensive background checks on all applicants applying for concealed weapon permits.

It usually takes three weeks to process applications, but state law allows up to 45 days, Savokinas said.

Once an applicant is approved for a permit, a valid state identification is required to pick up the document.

The sheriff’s department will hold permits for 90 days. After that time, the permit will be expunged.

Due to privacy concerns, the sheriff’s department will not release any information by telephone.

The Hazleton sub-station is located at 123 Warren St., Hazleton.

too bad it isn't California.

nick
05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
What's the big deal? Pennsylvania is shall-issue.

pat038536
05-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Is it? Was not aware of that

nick
05-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Outside of Philly it is:

http://www.davekopel.com/2A/LawRev/ShallIssue.htm#c10

7x57
05-12-2009, 2:18 AM
Outside of Philly it is:

I hadn't seen that very interesting paper before. Thanks.

7x57

nick
05-12-2009, 2:56 AM
It's a bit dated, but you're welcome :)

pullnshoot25
05-12-2009, 4:47 AM
I love how these articles never include a freaking state.

Jared1981
05-12-2009, 6:37 AM
Outside of Philly it is:

Philadephia has been shall issue since 1995. State law was amended to take away discretion for licensing authorities of a "city of the first class".

An LTC is needed to carry any firearm in any manner in a city of the first class. Outside such city, no LTC is required for open carry.

To carry in any manner in a vehicle, you need a license to carry from ANY state.

cineski
05-12-2009, 8:33 AM
That's because some cities don't realize there's life outside their state :sleeping:

I love how these articles never include a freaking state.

7x57
05-12-2009, 9:00 AM
It's a bit dated, but you're welcome :)

Yes it is, but that mainly applies to the statistics and the states with shall-issue. The discussion in the second half isn't dated at all, and covers a number of topics surprisingly well even when they're outside the author's training (and probably interest).

For example, they correctly note that "turn the other cheek" is about honor, not self-defense, which is quite difficult for many people who should know better. I doubt either of the authors is a theologian, but they did well. For another, there are some very apt points about gun-control advocates changing their minds when the criteria they push as conditions for gun ownership are used as conditions for CC. The discussion of actual crime in the "wild west" was great, and a generally underappreciated point.

7x57

AntiBubba 2.1
05-12-2009, 7:13 PM
The title is a little misleading; he isn't "selling" anything (unlike some California Sheriffs we won't name), he's only charging the fees mandated by that state's CC laws.

NiteQwill
05-12-2009, 8:05 PM
The title is a little misleading; he isn't "selling" anything (unlike some California Sheriffs we won't name), he's only charging the fees mandated by that state's CC laws.

I'm interested in knowing which CA Sheriff is selling CCWs. :confused:

Dark Paladin
05-12-2009, 9:21 PM

You just missed him. Orange County went from "shall-issue" to "shall-revoke". . . :mad:

sierratangofoxtrotunion
05-12-2009, 9:36 PM

Warren Rupf of Contra Costa County.

Contribute to his reelection campaign, you'll get one.

Don't and you're empty-handed.

NiteQwill
05-12-2009, 10:20 PM
You just missed him. Orange County went from "shall-issue" to "shall-revoke". . . :mad:
Judging by my location, I was just pulling your chain. ;) My CCW days here in OC went bye-bye April 2008. Damn, should have contributed more money!

Warren Rupf of Contra Costa County.

Contribute to his reelection campaign, you'll get one.

Don't and you're empty-handed.
Time to move

Dark Paladin
05-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Judging by my location, I was just pulling your chain. ;) My CCW days here in OC went bye-bye April 2008.

Doh! I didn't even see your location. :p If its any consolation, my TX CHL expired in Oct 2008. :(