PDA

View Full Version : Fake Can = Flash Suppressor?

djbooya
05-11-2009, 2:39 PM
http://calnra.com/flowchart/gfx/a7y.gif

According to the definition, a fake can can "function to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision"... so would that make my featureless sig556 using 30 rnd mags effectively an assault rifle even though the can is merely on there for me aestheically.. I don't care to hear opinions on why I have the fake can on, but specifically am I in potential hot water if I shoot my rifle in this configuration based on the definition of a flash hider/suppressor...

thoughts?

BONECUTTER
05-11-2009, 2:45 PM
Was a fake can made for the purpose of redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision.....No
Is it marketed or sold as a flash hider.....No

You are fine.

A muzzlebreak can do the same thing but thats not its intent nor is it called a flash hider.

K1LLROI
05-11-2009, 3:29 PM
There are muzzle brakes that look like flash suppressors though..The rule of thumb does not apply to all muzzle brakes..
Sorry for the dumb question..anybody..?
What's a fake can??

K1LLROI
05-11-2009, 3:45 PM
Alright :thumbsup:
Thanks Caiman..
Congrats, your a senior member..:D
I'm almost there:( almost....

djbooya
05-11-2009, 5:26 PM
Was a fake can made for the purpose of redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision.....No
Is it marketed or sold as a flash hider.....No

You are fine.

A muzzlebreak can do the same thing but thats not its intent nor is it called a flash hider.

This was my impression as well. It's just the wording of the definition says "functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision..." which a long fake can does.. I don't see any muzzle flash at all when I shoot the weapon... granted maybe it is there, but I can't see it during the day because it is too bright / quick...

donstarr
05-11-2009, 5:43 PM
This was my impression as well. It's just the wording of the definition says "functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision..." which a long fake can does.. I don't see any muzzle flash at all when I shoot the weapon...

Then it's a "flash suppressor", according to the definitions listed in the first post. The intended purpose (again - according to the listed definitions, and not counting any case law) is irrelevant.

Jaiofspam
05-11-2009, 5:54 PM
dont you just love CA? :)

TZL
05-14-2009, 1:53 AM
you have a featureless sig 556? lets see pics !

Racefiend
05-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Then it's a "flash suppressor", according to the definitions listed in the first post. The intended purpose (again - according to the listed definitions, and not counting any case law) is irrelevant.

I believe the Hunt v Lockyer settlement said it depends on what it's marketed as.