PDA

View Full Version : SB 399 The Fair Sentencing for Youth Act

otteray
05-11-2009, 1:31 PM
So I, calgun googled SB 399 and got nothing; therefore, I am safe to comment :rolleyes:
Anyone see this bill about letting underage murdering punks off early?

The last sentence in the following article :In 56 percent of the cases in which a youth sentenced to life without parole had an adult codefendant, the adult got a lesser sentence than the youth. California should lead the nation in changing these inequities.
That's bass akwards!:nuts: Should be: California should lead the nation in changing these inequities by increasing the adult sentence.
April 29, 2009 -- San Francisco --The Bar Association of San Francisco Board of Directors voted April 15, 2009, to support passage of Senate Bill 399 titled The Fair Sentencing for Youth Act.

In California, youth as young as 14 years old are sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. It is, in essence, a sentence to die in prison. Senate Bill 399 provides review of these cases after a youth offender (someone below the age of 18 at the time of the offense) has served a substantial amount of time in prison. It is an important piece of legislation because it protects public safety while at the same time recognizing that youth are different from adults. SB 399 holds youth accountable but also provides a chance for young offenders to prove they have changed.

Senate Bill 399 holds youth offenders responsible for their actions. Youth offenders will have a chance to prove they deserve a resentencing hearing only after serving 10, 15, 20, or 25 years. The bill requires the offender to prove that he or she has chosen a different path in life and is worthy of parole consideration. It creates a strong system of checks and balances, as well: not only will an offender have to prove rehabilitation to a judge, but he or she will still face a parole board.

Sentencing adolescents to life without parole is out of step with the rest of the world and applied unfairly here in California. The United States is the only country in the world that imposes life without parole on youth under the age of 18 years old. This extreme punishment is a violation of international law and fundamental human rights. In addition, in California racial disparities in the use of this sentence are among the worst in the country: black youth are sentenced to life without parole at a per capita rate that is 18 times that for white youth. Finally, adult codefendants charged in the same cases are getting lower sentences and the opportunity for parole. In 56 percent of the cases in which a youth sentenced to life without parole had an adult codefendant, the adult got a lesser sentence than the youth. California should lead the nation in changing these inequities.

CCWFacts
05-11-2009, 1:39 PM
Some youths make such bad decisions that they can't safely be released into society, ever. Children start understanding things like the finality of death by the time they are 10 to 12 years old, and from then on, they are responsible for their decisions when they commit serious crimes. Ok, children who commit some typical adolescent crimes like shoplifting or graffiti or something should be treated as children, not adults - but when a 15 year old shoots someone, that's no different from an adult shooting someone.

DDT
05-11-2009, 1:50 PM
Sounds pretty close to being right. When there are 2 people involved in a crime and one is more culpable than the other they should get a stiffer sentence.

I will presume that many/most of these cases include someone between 16 and 18 and another individual between 18 and 21. 56% may be a touch high depending upon the size of the sample data but could surely be within a sigma of statistical relevance.

HunterJim
05-11-2009, 2:04 PM
Any bill in the California Legislature with "fair" in the title is guaranteed not to be.

Kind of like addressing politicians as "the honorable".

jim

Untamed1972
05-11-2009, 2:12 PM
"In addition, in California racial disparities in the use of this sentence are among the worst in the country: black youth are sentenced to life without parole at a per capita rate that is 18 times that for white youth."

Never mind that because of the gang related violence, and black on black murder being the leading cause of death for black males in the 16-25yo age group (quoting that age range off the top of my head from something I read, mite not be 100% accurate quote but in the ball park) that black youths commit serious crimes at a much higher per capita rate then other racial groups do. Nahh...it couldn't bet that at all.....what was I thinking?

Are we supposed to initiate some kind of quota system where you can only sentence a certain number of people per year to life w/o parole and then after that everyone else gets lighter sentences? Is it supposed to be like affirmative action sentencing or something? Here I thought people were supposed to be sentenced based on the severity of their crime as outlined in the penal code section they are convicted of. Silly me!