PDA

View Full Version : Address on CDL

SkyStorm82
05-11-2009, 9:54 AM
My CDL is going to be expiring soon and I'll need to get a new one. The address on it now is not current and I'd rather not have my new home address on my new CDL.

What do you guys use for the address? Home....work....PO box (or even a UPS store box address)?

Will having a different address from my home on my DL cause me any problems buying a gun? Haven't bought a new gun in quite a while now.

Unit74
05-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Sorta.... You'll have to show a registration with a home address or other gubment issued document.

Why don't you want your home addy on your CDL?

03556JLL
05-11-2009, 2:16 PM
I use a PO box for security reasons. I had partner several years back lose his wallet in a foot chase one night. Three days later some honest citizen showed up at his door to return his wallet. Thank God this time it was a good guy and not a bad guy looking for some revenge. My 2 cents...

Unit74
05-11-2009, 3:40 PM
I use a PO box for security reasons. I had partner several years back lose his wallet in a foot chase one night. Three days later some honest citizen showed up at his door to return his wallet. Thank God this time it was a good guy and not a bad guy looking for some revenge. My 2 cents...

I carry a CC and some cash... the wallet's in the locker. :thumbsup:

DLaw
05-11-2009, 3:52 PM
I carry a CC and some cash... the wallet's in the locker. :thumbsup:

This

CaliTheKid
05-11-2009, 6:35 PM
PO Box all the way.

My parter got a target and "187" painted on his garage by some dirt bag gang bangers he was working (gang unit). The DMV privacy veil doesn't do much and many dirt bags know people who work at that DMV.

Triad
05-11-2009, 8:19 PM
I spend the 20 dollars every six months and maintain a PO Box specifically for using it on my CDL.

Just in case, god forbid, I lose my wallet, no one will have my address.

Fire in the Hole
05-11-2009, 8:40 PM
I've never had a problem with my home address on my CDL. One thing I can share is when there is natural disaster such an an evacuation like the fires in Santa Barbara, when the area is opened up to residents only, the LEO's check your address on your CDL. If only a PO box listed, you get turned around and have to wait until it gets opened up to the general public, which could be a couple of days. Been there, seen it, done it.

Ron-Solo
05-12-2009, 8:30 AM
I've used my home address on my CDL for 30 years. I've never had a problem because of it. It will definitely cause you more hassles when buying a gun. You will have to show supplemental proof of residence.

Also, I never carry my CDL on me when working. It stays in my locker.

Ron-Solo
05-12-2009, 8:31 AM
I've never had a problem with my home address on my CDL. One thing I can share is when there is natural disaster such an an evacuation like the fires in Santa Barbara, when the area is opened up to residents only, the LEO's check your address on your CDL. If only a PO box listed, you get turned around and have to wait until it gets opened up to the general public, which could be a couple of days. Been there, seen it, done it.

I've seen that happen too, but usually your dept ID will fix that....but not always

Fire in the Hole
05-12-2009, 8:35 AM
I've seen that happen too, but usually your dept ID will fix that....but not always

Yeah perhaps, but these things always occur on weekends, LE management comes in Monday and they get around to it on Wednesday. Meanwhile, you are still denied access to your home.

eltee
05-12-2009, 5:24 PM
I give the street address of my PO box, so it looks like a normal address. I recall some using the police HQ street address.

The DMV cop confidentiality process only offers minimal protection, and actually alerts people to your cop status. A PO box is probably better than relying on the confidentiality process if you are concerned with personal security.

jmzhwells
05-15-2009, 6:01 PM
I've used my home address on my CDL for 30 years. I've never had a problem because of it. It will definitely cause you more hassles when buying a gun. You will have to show supplemental proof of residence.

Last week when I bought a gun, I brought my vehicle reg, and a utility bill becasue my current address is not on my license. They told me that I could put all the supplemental paper away as it was not required since I am an LEO. I said, "What." and they said it was safer for us to have a PO box so a current address is not required. I dont know about safer or anything but I thought it was cool to have a knowledgeable gun shop that was pro LE.

slick_711
05-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Last week when I bought a gun, I brought my vehicle reg, and a utility bill becasue my current address is not on my license. They told me that I could put all the supplemental paper away as it was not required since I am an LEO. I said, "What." and they said it was safer for us to have a PO box so a current address is not required. I dont know about safer or anything but I thought it was cool to have a knowledgeable gun shop that was pro LE.

Interesting thread! I'm chiming in as gun shop employee to provide further info:

Exactly. This is only state/local LE, doesn't work for feds. The idea is that to be a local cop you have to be a CA resident. Any gun shop worth a penny will take a CDL & a Dept ID as the only items necessary for long gun or handgun purchase.