PDA

View Full Version : PPT: Target Masters West; Milpitas

Requiem
05-11-2009, 8:12 AM
Thread edited due to unruly conduct. Please stop.

Thankyou

berto
05-11-2009, 8:29 AM
The HSC is $25.

see #3:
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php#a4 (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php#a4)

"How much does the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) cost?
The fee for taking the Handgun Safety Certificate Test and obtaining a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) is twenty five dollars ($25). The $25 fee entitles you to take the test twice if necessary."

The $35 for DROS is what the store is allowed to charge by law, $25 for the state and $10 for the store, unless you want the store to make no money.

You didn't get ripped at all. You paid what the state set the fees at and what most of us pay all the time. Investigate before complaining.

ghost
05-11-2009, 8:35 AM
you didnt get ripped off,those are the standard costs.the only thing you get ripped oiff at targetmasters is the time it takes for them to do ppt`s there.i`ve been stuck in their ppt process for up 2-3 hours on different occasions:mad::confused:

chrisdesoup
05-11-2009, 8:39 AM
How long did your PPT take.... 2 or 3 hours?

JTROKS
05-11-2009, 8:40 AM
Don't worry you didn't get ripped off like I did when I was charged $50 to PPT an OLL. You feel you got ripped on a PPT? Try doing an out of state sale.

If those guys are slow, go to Irvington Arms, their staff is top notch and very eager to help you. Unlike some other places that have an attitude depending on what you look like.

Requiem
05-11-2009, 9:00 AM
Okay. At least I know they were within the law but still... I don't think it's right that they charge people $10 more than they have to. I think a gun shop should be encouraging the buying of firearms. I donno.... I guess I'm just not a businessman. Anyways. They were saying that upon coming in to pick up the firearm I would have to bring a lock AND a receipt showing the purchase of the lock... I can understand bringing a lock in, but a receipt!? Come on... I'm assuming it's just a CA law, but is there a way to getting around having to buy a lock when I go in?

Well... on top of the firearm purchase and all the fees.... $20 more will come out of my pocket when I go in for some snap caps and a gun lock. Maybe it's just me whining but does this process seem ridiculous to anyone else?

Oregonish
05-11-2009, 9:07 AM
Welcome to buying firearms in the state of california. See if they will waive the lock issue if you fill out a gun safe affidavit, if you do actually own one. Some counties allow it, some don't. Look at it from their point of view, there doing business in the PRK, Would YOU want to do anything that was even slightly questionable? Then have the ATF and the state up you *** with a microscope? I think not. I've never paid less than $35 for DROS. It is, what it is.

sigguy552
05-11-2009, 9:09 AM
Requiem, I'm sure they'll do everything for free if you're willing to pay their rent(5k sq/ft at $2 bucks psf = 10k), labor(1k per day = 30k p/mth), insurance(God knows with all the suicides and accidents), utilities(2k) and cost of holding inventory.

Why don't you open your own store and we calgunners can come over and get everything for free.............

chrisdesoup
05-11-2009, 9:13 AM
Okay. At least I know they were within the law but still... I don't think it's right that they charge people $10 more than they have to. I think a gun shop should be encouraging the buying of firearms. I donno.... I guess I'm just not a businessman. Anyways. They were saying that upon coming in to pick up the firearm I would have to bring a lock AND a receipt showing the purchase of the lock... I can understand bringing a lock in, but a receipt!? Come on... I'm assuming it's just a CA law, but is there a way to getting around having to buy a lock when I go in?

Well... on top of the firearm purchase and all the fees.... $20 more will come out of my pocket when I go in for some snap caps and a gun lock. Maybe it's just me whining but does this process seem ridiculous to anyone else?

Yes you are acting in a ridiculous manner.... I do not like target masters but what you paid is standard. I got my HSC 5 years ago (it expires in july) and I think it was $15 or $20 then.

The PPT is $35 at target masters, the gun exchange, that place in campbell (cammo building), and I think its $35 at the gun vault (if im wrong please let me know.. never did a PPT there).

Gun stores need to make money to keep the doors open... I would love a shop that did everything for free but then they would go under in a month.

I DO think $1 for the study guide is silly though!

KimberDriven
05-11-2009, 9:14 AM
Like everyone else said, you didn't get ripped off. But did it take 2-3 hours for the PPT? Because that's what it took when I did one a few years ago. To me, time is money.

sigguy552
05-11-2009, 9:15 AM
I DO think $1 for the study guide is silly though!

Needing that study guide is silly! :D

dfletcher
05-11-2009, 9:16 AM

They charged a total of $35.00 for the PPT - $25.00 goes to the state and $10.00 to them for the paperwork. They don't have to charge $10.00 and I suppose could do it for free - might be a good selling point, but I presume they'd have to make it up somehow. Their business, their call ultimately. But I don't feel taken advantage of by the charge - just another one of those annoying little things we have to deal with in CA.

So far as the lock and receipt, CA law requires you to have bought a gun lock within the past 30 days when you purchase a handgun. The way you prove that is to produce a receipt. Producing a lock & no receipt means you'll have to buy a lock, because you could have bought that lock 10 years ago. Producing a receipt and no lock means you may have to buy a lock. Producing a receipt and a lock (even a lock you've had for greater than 30 days) means you won't have to buy a lock. In theory, so long as you have a receipt fewer than 30 days old you could simply show up with the same old lock over & over again.

Whining? I'll pass on that - but maybe don't be so willing to think the worst of folks or assume what "the other guy" says is true. This is supposed to be fun, right?

sigguy552
05-11-2009, 9:22 AM
How is doing something for free a good selling point?

If you own a gun safe you don't need to buy a lock. Ask for the safe ownership affidavit.

will227457
05-11-2009, 9:31 AM
one would think that with over 200 posts the OP would be a little more informed about CA gun laws........

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Waaaaa I had to pay a fair price for my PPT......

Waaaa I have to comply with CA law and buy a lock........

Requiem
05-11-2009, 9:31 AM
Gentlemen,

Please chill out. I wasn't meaning to attack anyone at all. I was simply trying to find out if this was the standard experience that happened through a PPT in California. I was not trying to bash Target Masters. As I said they were very friendly people and I would go back there just for that if I lived nearby them. I am simply angry at the California procedures that are defined by law and I see as totally ridiculous.

For those of you wondering... yes it did take a while for the PPT. Probably about an hour and a half tops.

Moderators, I respectfully request that if you see this to close this thread so it doesn't get out of hand.

Thanks

chrisdesoup
05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Needing that study guide is silly! :D

Ain't that the truth!

dwtt
05-11-2009, 5:55 PM
Gentlemen,
I was not trying to bash Target Masters. As I said they were very friendly people and I would go back there just for that if I lived nearby them. I am simply angry at the California procedures that are defined by law and I see as totally ridiculous.

Here's your personal motivation to join the NRA if you are not already a member, or start participating in your local member's council if you are a member.

walter
05-11-2009, 6:22 PM
dang.. the longest it took for me to do PPT at jackson arms was 20 mins and thats with alot of bsing around