PDA

View Full Version : trade 1911 for glock? good idea?

nrakid88
05-10-2009, 9:46 PM
Well, my 21st b day is coming up in about 5 months. I am going to get a 1911 transfered to me from my family then. I am just thinking on the side of practicality... would it make sense for me to sell it and then buy a glock 21 or a glock 17 maybe (glcok 17 only if we get the mag ban killed by then). I am thinking glocks are more reliable than 1911's, and have higher capacity, and are also probably easier to train for as a carry gun... would i be crazy to trade my 1911 for a glock 21? and I know the glock trigger isnt as nice but I shot a buddies glock 21 and I didnt notice much of a difference.

Gator Monroe
05-10-2009, 9:49 PM
The only Glock I want is a Gen 1 or Early Gen 2 Glock 17 !:thumbsup:

slick_711
05-10-2009, 9:51 PM
What kind of 1911? I'll trade you a Glock. :)

ExcitedPanda
05-10-2009, 9:52 PM
Give me your 1911 and exit the shooting hobby gracefully.

loosewreck
05-10-2009, 9:54 PM
Depends on the 1911. I had a Springfield GI that I bought brand new for $500. I rarely shot it, but didn't really have the urge to customize it, so I traded it for a G17 and 5 mags.

The way I look at it both guns were worth the same price so it was an equal deal and don't miss it. However, it wasn't my only 1911.

I would say shoot the 1911 first and see how reliable it is and how well you shoot it before you decide to part with it.

Axewound
05-10-2009, 9:58 PM
no not a good idea in my book, keep the 1911, if you sell or trade it now you will want one later. keep it

save up and buy a glock 21

sirgiles
05-10-2009, 9:59 PM
may it be a 1911, glock or any pistol, you need training to be proficient on your carry gun.
as for the glocks reliability, i suggest you look at this first.
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html
and have you read this thread?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=181618
where did you hear or see that glocks are more reliable than 1911?
its true, glocks may have 2 more ammo in the magazine, but i prefer accurate shot placement than more ammo. my .02.

hybridatsun350
There are very few 1911's that couldn't be readily traded for a Glock (any Glock). The value of most 1911's far exceeds the value of most Glocks. Now whether it's a good idea to trade is another debate. Do you know what type of 1911 it is?

where did you hear or see that glocks are more reliable than 1911?

I would certainly say that Glocks are more reliable than 1911's. There's no contest there.

i prefer accurate shot placement than more ammo.

Now you're saying that Glocks are inaccurate too?

Sinixstar
Well, my 21st b day is coming up in about 5 months. I am going to get a 1911 transfered to me from my family then. I am just thinking on the side of practicality... would it make sense for me to sell it and then buy a glock 21 or a glock 17 maybe (glcok 17 only if we get the mag ban killed by then). I am thinking glocks are more reliable than 1911's, and have higher capacity, and are also probably easier to train for as a carry gun... would i be crazy to trade my 1911 for a glock 21? and I know the glock trigger isnt as nice but I shot a buddies glock 21 and I didnt notice much of a difference.

I have to ask - what's the history of this 1911? You said it's getting transferred to you from your family - is this sort of a family gun that's been passed around?

JJ1911
05-10-2009, 10:00 PM
What Manufacturer/Model?

qbi2001
05-10-2009, 10:05 PM
keep the 1911, good chance it is reliable and IMO easier to conceal than a glock

nrakid88
05-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Its a springfield GI. Basically I wanted one and my parents got one. Now that im gonna be 21 it will be mine. I have seen some crazy videos on torture testing glocks... the ones on youtube. I doubt a 1911 could stand up to that. That being said its a springfield stainless GI 45, with custom grips, upgraded hi profile three dot sights, a light rail added, and a small radius firing pin stop fitted. The sights and rail was done by springfield, I did the firing pin stop. I am just thinking from a practical standpoint that a glock might make more sense. The gun has little sentimental value and I try to see all firearms as tools rather than heirlooms (except the only heirloom firearm I do have). So it wouldnt pain me much seeing it go. Also I would be getting rid of the kimber .22 conversion for it too. So I know all of this is worth more than a glock... thats why I would sell and then buy, not do a flat trade.

sirgiles
05-10-2009, 10:08 PM
nope, did'nt say nor imply glocks are innacurate.

There are very few 1911's that couldn't be readily traded for a Glock (any Glock). The value of most 1911's far exceeds the value of most Glocks. Now whether it's a good idea to trade is another debate. Do you know what type of 1911 it is?

I would certainly say that Glocks are more reliable than 1911's. There's no contest there.

Now you're saying that Glocks are inaccurate too?

Sinixstar
05-10-2009, 10:08 PM
edit: just read your last post - which makes some of what I said irrelevant.

I still don't think it's a great idea. the G.I. isn't the greatest 1911 in the world - but there's no reason why it couldn't/wouldn't be as reliable for average use as the glock. Unless you plan on taking your 1911 into extreme battlefield conditions, most of the "torture test" stuff is not very realistic to begin with. Then again - the 1911, built to the specs of the G.I. (the GI is basically a WWII spec repro), has in fact been carried in pretty extreme battlefield conditions - and proven it's self. I really don't think you have much to worry about in that regard.

The only argument for the glock versus the 1911 right now I think would be if you got something in a more commonly available (ammo wise) caliber. .45 auto is kind of a pain to find - but if you were trading in for say a .40 that would make life a bit easier in that regard. Making the "practical' argument in favor of the glock makes no sense if you trade it for another hard to find caliber right now. Practical means nothing if you have no ammo for it.

Futurecollector
05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Dude, you will regreat that in the end, and the mag ban aint going anywhere anytime soon, keep the 1911, and save up, thats what I did, I bought my Glock, and then waited for a 1911, which I should be picking up on saturday, Glocks arent going anywhere, and the prices are pretty leveled at where they are but 1911 keep going up and up and up, so all in all save it, and get a Glock later on in life.

AdamM
05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Keep the 1911, save up for the Glock

Futurecollector
05-10-2009, 10:13 PM
The only Glock I want is a Gen 1 or Early Gen 2 Glock 17 !:thumbsup:

Why?

Tillers_Rule
05-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Keep the 1911, save up for the Glock

Agreed

A Glock will be less expensive, so down the line if you would want the 1911 back it would cost you twice as much to get one. Plus, everyone need more than one handgun:thumbsup:

roc
05-10-2009, 10:48 PM
if you are only going to have one pistol and never plan up getting more, then trade/sell it for something you like.

SA 1911 GI SS is a great pistol regardless of price. Tight and accurate guns don't make great HD guns as they tend to be picky on ammo due to the close tolerances. What you've got is actually as good of a HD gun as you could want.

Unless you are going to be using it in combat, the torture tests gun magazines perform are more or less irrelevant for your purpose. As long as a gun isn't prone to FTL, FTF or FTE issues you are golden which either gun will do great. Any self/home defense scenario will not likely get past 3 or 4 rounds before everything is over.

As for carrying goes, unless you are working in a LE or security related field, San Clarita is in LA county and a CCW permit is going to be nearly impossible to get. (obviously you could get a Utah or some other state's permit but it would only for when you are traveling.)

If i were you, I would keep the 1911 and save up for the Glock. I know how you feel, the 1911 has been in your family so you probably shoot it a lot. It is probably getting old and familiar so you are just looking for something new.

Hope this helps. (oh yeah, looks like you will be looking at a Glock 21 if you go that route. Cus the high cap mags aren't going to be legal anytime soon...)

AfricanHunter
05-11-2009, 1:13 AM
Keep the 1911 for at least 10-20 range trips, rent a glock while you are there (along with anything else that tickles your fancy) then make a decision.

The fact that earlier in the thread you said

and I know the glock trigger isnt as nice but I shot a buddies glock 21 and I didnt notice much of a difference.

Leads me to believe you dont have much experience with firearms. The Glock trigger and 1911 trigger are pretty frakkin different. Some people hate the glock trigger as it is a different/unique system with the middle piece basically constituting the safety lever (but never met anyone that hated a 1911 trigger that was functioning properly, it can be one of the best triggers on any pistol, period. A 1911 trigger that is properly tuned is truly a thing of joy).

Dont be so quick to trade until you get your feet wet. If you have any interest in gunsmithing, the SA GI is arguably the best model to experiment with too. Personally I wouldnt even consider selling, trading, etc until you have 1000 rounds downrange through a few different platforms. In that time, if you dont blow it all on ammo, you can save up and get an HK/Sig if that ends up being what you like.

I think the point I am trying to make is it really all comes down to preference and you dont seem to have the requisite experience base to know what you do or do not like yet. Keep the 1911 until you do, IMO

I have a Gen 1 Glock 17 I would trade you in a hot second for a SA 1911. ;)

Stanze
05-11-2009, 1:47 AM
Get both.:thumbsup:

colossians323
05-11-2009, 4:49 AM
Eat peanut butter, it sticks to the roof of your mouth

walter
05-11-2009, 6:50 AM
Its a springfield GI. Basically I wanted one and my parents got one. Now that im gonna be 21 it will be mine. I have seen some crazy videos on torture testing glocks... the ones on youtube. I doubt a 1911 could stand up to that. That being said its a springfield stainless GI 45, with custom grips, upgraded hi profile three dot sights, a light rail added, and a small radius firing pin stop fitted. The sights and rail was done by springfield, I did the firing pin stop. I am just thinking from a practical standpoint that a glock might make more sense. The gun has little sentimental value and I try to see all firearms as tools rather than heirlooms (except the only heirloom firearm I do have). So it wouldnt pain me much seeing it go. Also I would be getting rid of the kimber .22 conversion for it too. So I know all of this is worth more than a glock... thats why I would sell and then buy, not do a flat trade.

stop being a brat. your parents bought that so if you dont want it then dont take it. just save up your own money and buy a glock. you only need about 600. OR just sell the kimber kit for 3-400(or maybe more) on gunbroker then pay the differences for a glock.

Colt Jackson
05-11-2009, 7:09 AM
I think you'd be nuts to get rid of the Springfield. You already have the thing,with extra's!!! Keep it and demo/try Glocks and Sigs in the meantime,then when you have the $ buy one.That way you'll have the best of both worlds!!

Ladyfox
05-11-2009, 7:13 AM
Dude, you will regreat that in the end, and the mag ban aint going anywhere anytime soon, keep the 1911, and save up, thats what I did, I bought my Glock, and then waited for a 1911, which I should be picking up on saturday, Glocks arent going anywhere, and the prices are pretty leveled at where they are but 1911 keep going up and up and up, so all in all save it, and get a Glock later on in life.

I'm in 100% agreement with this.

Glocks you'll always be able to find but a nice, even a G.I. issue/model, 1911 is highly difficult to find. There is just something, well, magical about a 1911 that once you try it it and enjoy it you'll always have that itch to have one.

However, if you think 1911's stink (Aaaahhh! HERETIC!!! ^_^) then this issue really is moot since you do not have any real investment or desire to have one. Really the choice is yours but I think you would be making a terrible mistake.

drunktank
05-11-2009, 7:34 AM
Lots of good advice here. My 2 cents are to hold on the to 1911 and try out glocks until you have enough trigger time to differentiate the two. I'd never keep a 1911 just for the aww factor. If it doesn't fit you, then you should look elsewhere (or just train until it DOES fit you hahaha).

In all seriousness, good luck with your choice and don't be hasty with your decision. You already own a .45ACP and don't have to worry about ammo cost with the .22lr conversion. Nice spot to be in for some.

Shenaniguns
05-11-2009, 7:54 AM
Unless it is a super rare custom, I'd sell the 1911 and just buy a Glock...

Oregonish
05-11-2009, 8:01 AM
Keep the 1911, No firearm collection is complete without one, eventually, if you do sell or trade, you'll want another one. Plus, if you got it cheap, before the hysteria, you won't find that price again. I'm a semi-sorta glock snob, but a 1911 is at the top of my next in line hit-list. Plus a GI is great 1911 platform to begin with in the 1911 world.

Shenaniguns
05-11-2009, 8:04 AM
Unless you are a collector or wealthy, I don't see the need to keeping a gun that you don't plan on shooting often... I have no loyalty to any handgun maker and will shoot,train and carry with what suits me best.

itchy finger
05-11-2009, 8:11 AM
Keep it. Glocks are cheap and easy to find. You will always want a 1911, I know I do

Dirtbiker
05-11-2009, 8:27 AM
I have both a 1911 (Kimber) and a Gen2 Glock 21.

They are apples and oranges. The ergos are so different, you might hate one and love the other.

I've owned the 21 since 93 and have shot 4-5k rounds through it. It was my sidearm during my academy days. It's been carried, dropped, rained on, rode hard and put away wet. FWIW I have never, never had a FTF or FTE that wasn't caused by my (limp wristing in my early days). During the academy we would load empty shells to simulate FTF and it would put them into battery just like a live round. As for accuracy I will say it is damn good gor a combat pistol. At 7-15 yards if I do my part 9 and 10 rings all day. After a good cleaning this pistol looks 95% just like the day I bought it.

My Kimber is new to me, but I will say that after a grip change (Pachmyer) NOTHING feels better in my hand than a full size 1911. I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

If it were me and I had to choose a gun I had to carry every day I'd go with the Glock. I'm used to it and prefer how it functions. Cocked and locked I believe takes more discipline. The Glock system works great as a carry gun + the heavy trigger pull adds to that aspect.

In the end keep the 1911 and save for a Glock.

cineski
05-11-2009, 8:52 AM
If this is your first gun then get rid of the 1911. A 1911, in a defensive weapon, is not the best gun unless you plan on dedicating yourself to the 1911 platform. This means you have to train your motor skills to flip the safety off whenever you draw. If not, you may forget this and it could end up bad in a bad situation. This also means that you will flip the safety on all non-1911 platforms. Personally, I don't see the purpose of doing this from the start. If you want a great, reliable gun, then get yourself a glock or XD45 or HK. 1911's are great for range use and are very cool guns. But you need to get passed that if you're looking for a defensive weapon. This does not make you a brat, as one member said. It's doing what's right for YOU. If a 1911's not right, then so be it. A 1911 was my first gun and it took a few months to realize I wasn't a 1911 guy. Now, I still want one, but for range use only.

nrakid88
05-11-2009, 8:58 AM
If this is your first gun then get rid of the 1911. A 1911, in a defensive weapon, is not the best gun unless you plan on dedicating yourself to the 1911 platform. This means you have to train your motor skills to flip the safety off whenever you draw. If not, you may forget this and it could end up bad in a bad situation. This also means that you will flip the safety on all non-1911 platforms. Personally, I don't see the purpose of doing this from the start. If you want a great, reliable gun, then get yourself a glock or XD45 or HK. 1911's are great for range use and are very cool guns. But you need to get passed that if you're looking for a defensive weapon. This does not make you a brat, as one member said. It's doing what's right for YOU. If a 1911's not right, then so be it. A 1911 was my first gun and it took a few months to realize I wasn't a 1911 guy. Now, I still want one, but for range use only.

See this is what I was worrying about. The whole safety issue... I like the glock idea a lot more and feel that its natural, pull, point, shoot. I carry the 1911 in the house cocked and unlocked with an empty chamber, I figure it'll be easier to remember to rack the slide to get one in the tube than to flick the safety. Hmmm.... maybe I will just save for the glock then.

Shenaniguns
05-11-2009, 9:11 AM
For me to build a Glock tough and reliable 1911 that i'd trust my life with, I spent over $2500 :eek:

nrakid88
05-11-2009, 9:12 AM
For me to build a Glock tough and reliable 1911 that i'd trust my life with, I spent over $2500 :eek:

Haha with that money I'd rather get the fulton FAR titan i've been drooling over... and some ammo.

Beelzy
05-11-2009, 9:17 AM
What?!?

This is not April 1st..........:sarcasm:

Bobshouse
05-11-2009, 9:23 AM
If the gun is from a family member, don't sell it! Take it from experience, you will regret selling it...instead treasure it and keep it, it will bring back many memories!

Greg-Dawg
05-11-2009, 9:25 AM
My first handgun was and still is a Glock. You know what they say..."Once you go Black, you'll never go back".

Shenaniguns
05-11-2009, 9:36 AM
Haha with that money I'd rather get the fulton FAR titan i've been drooling over... and some ammo.

I used the money to help on my FrankeNoveske build :D

My old Ionbonded Harrison/Baer:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/G34Shooter/IMG_0626.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/G34Shooter/IMG647.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/G34Shooter/IMG644.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/G34Shooter/IMG631.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/G34Shooter/IMG641-1.jpg

Shenaniguns
05-11-2009, 9:38 AM
The current money pit :rolleyes:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/G34Shooter/IMG1167.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/G34Shooter/IMG1168.jpg

Butter
05-11-2009, 9:55 AM
It really depends on what you want and what you like. You are getting some good advice. After you have owned and shot a few guns, over time you start to figure out what YOU like and not what others tell you to like. BTW, depending on how a 1911 is set up, it can be as reliable as anything out there and very, very accurate to boot.

For plastic guns, a Glock is almost the quintessential pistol to compare your other polymer guns to. Itís either better than or different than, but other tupper-tacticals are almost always compared with it. For me, Glocks are accurate and reliable, but the grip angle in particular is something I donít like, nor the pseudo-finger grooves. But they are great guns for those who like Ďem. For me, Iíd take an XD with its grip safety and better angled handle for a choice in plastic at about the same price point as a Glock. But that is just me, not you. (Ainít choices great?!)

With that said, when you include aesthetics and build quality, a refined 1911 is hard to beat and offers little with which to be compared. Try a 1911 trigger and you will either like it or love it, but you certainly wonít discount it. With proper training it is and has been a marvelous defensive tool that the elite police departments (LA SWAT, LA SIS, the FBI Hostage Rescue Teamóif on-line information is correctly listing these outfits as using the 1911) use and want to use currently, let alone all the military heritage associated with it. (My father carried one in Vietnam.) And personally I canít fault them for that choice. A 1911 sits well in my small hands and the trigger is extremely accessible and kind to my index finger. However, be wary, the 1911 habit is not a small or inconsequential thing to be infected with---nor an inexpensive one. You can get some well made, personally modified steel that sinks into your grasp as if made for your hands.

DMCA
05-11-2009, 1:10 PM
The 1911 has become an almost "right of passage" firearm. The original ones have great historical significance and the modern, precisely manufactured variants have their place as well.

For overall utility in shooting .45ACP and for sheer reliability, the Glock may make more sense.

Now, if you can own versions of each, then you must.

leitung
05-11-2009, 4:27 PM
Keep the 1911 and save up for a Glock, both are good guns, I would want one of each.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
05-11-2009, 5:39 PM
The grass is always greener on the other side. Until you get there and discover it's just more grass, that is.

I'd keep the 1911 and save up for the Glock. There's time enough in the future to decide which platform works better for you.

NiteQwill
05-11-2009, 8:03 PM
I own several Glocks (21SF, 22, 23, 27, 30) and a few 1911s (kimber & SA). If I had to choose one or the other. 1911 hands down.

I'd give up my entire Glock collection to keep ONE 1911 (custom SA Operator) if I had to make that choice.

Who said 1911s weren't reliable? I guess several major wars and conflicts beg to differ with that statement.:rolleyes:

BHPFan
05-11-2009, 8:09 PM

Dude, keep the 1911 and save up your $$$ for the G21.

Your 21st BDay coming in 5 months? That is enough time to save cash for a G21. If you look around carefully, you can get deals in the $500 range.

gwl
05-11-2009, 8:12 PM
I'd keep the 1911 and buy a Glock later.

dexter9659
05-11-2009, 8:35 PM
As stated before, "apples and oranges". Just as both an apple and an orange are both fruits, both a 21 and a 1911 GI are both 45s, that is where the similarities stop. The guns are so different from one another they cannot be compared. Hinged trigger, vs straight pull, double stack vs single stack, polymer vs metal, ect.

Keep your 1911 and thank your parents profusely as it is a fine pistol and piece of machinery! Shoot it and enjoy it, but dont forget to try other handguns... Who knows, maybe you will enjoy CZs, HKs, Sigs, or Glocks. There is no limit to what you can own. No one said you cant own all of them!!

AfricanHunter
05-11-2009, 9:13 PM

See bold above. I think trading it off before you have a chance to see if you like it is a mistake but do what you will.

Shenaniguns
05-12-2009, 4:41 AM
See bold above. I think trading it off before you have a chance to see if you like it is a mistake but do what you will.

It annoys me that too many think that a 1911 is a must for every collection :rolleyes: IMO eveyone should at least try out a true Semi-custom or custom to see what the big deal is about but not be pushed towards them so much that they feel pressured. All 1911's are not created equally and in comparison are built like a Yugo to a Formula 1 car while a Glock or Sig are more like a Camry and Passat.

NiteQwill
05-12-2009, 12:54 PM
It annoys me that too many think that a 1911 is a must for every collection :rolleyes: IMO eveyone should at least try out a true Semi-custom or custom to see what the big deal is about but not be pushed towards them so much that they feel pressured. All 1911's are not created equally and in comparison are built like a Yugo to a Formula 1 car while a Glock or Sig are more like a Camry and Passat.

Every real gun owner has a 1911

domokun
05-12-2009, 1:02 PM
Keep the 1911. Save up and buy a Glock as your first handgun purchase after you turn 21. :thumbsup: Don't sell the Springfield 1911 GI, it's a nice 1911.

4thSeal
05-12-2009, 1:02 PM
Keep the 1911...

Here is my new purchase.

It called to me over the Kimber Warrior II and the Nighthawk GRP they had in the case.

10 Day wait game has begun !

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd254/JBoak/PC9108LP.gif

I also have a Glock 17 and 21sf ...

Shenaniguns
05-12-2009, 1:14 PM
Every real gun owner has a 1911

You must drive a Model-T old man :ack2:

chickenfried
05-12-2009, 1:24 PM
Since you're getting a 1911 and your buddy has a glock, take both to the range a few times. Then make your decision based on your experiences with both rather than what people say.

Powersauce
05-12-2009, 4:04 PM
Keep the 1911...save up for a Glock....save some more...buy more guns.

CaptainGlock
05-12-2009, 4:36 PM
Now, let me think. What would I do in this situation? :43:

nrakid88
05-12-2009, 4:45 PM
Now, let me think. What would I do in this situation? :43:

Hahahahah.... I did not get that... then I read your signature.... then I read your UN.... HAHAHA. I cant take your advice.... tooo biased. LOL

JTROKS
05-12-2009, 4:48 PM
If I have a Glock 17 I'd trade you for your SA GI. When you sell that 1911 it will at a loss, prices on them have gone up. Keep it and save up for the Glock. You'll find used Glocks at cheaper prices. When you have both shoot them side by side then you'll thank many of us for advicing against selling the 1911. Goodluck.

NiteQwill
05-12-2009, 6:07 PM
You must drive a Model-T old man :ack2:

Model T? I'm still using a horse and carriage. Don't worry, my 26" dubs get all the ladies still. :thumbsup:

chickenfried
05-12-2009, 6:25 PM
Production 1911's aren't anything to sneeze at . You don't need to spend $2000 to get a nice reliable 1911. Being able to spend more is nice but not a necessity.

Shenaniguns
05-12-2009, 7:07 PM
Model T? I'm still using a horse and carriage. Don't worry, my 26" dubs get all the ladies still. :thumbsup:

Oic, you're into flash and glam :ack2:

Shenaniguns
05-12-2009, 7:09 PM
Production 1911's aren't anything to sneeze at . You don't need to spend $2000 to get a nice reliable 1911. Being able to spend more is nice but not a necessity.

I never said that, I said that's how much I spent to make a 1911 into what I consider comparable to a Glock in reliability, durability, accuracy that exceeded and fit me the way I want.

NiteQwill
05-12-2009, 7:46 PM
I never said that, I said that's how much I spent to make a 1911 into what I consider comparable to a Glock in reliability, durability, accuracy that exceeded and fit me the way I want.
:confused:

Working with CJSOTF, I never saw a Glock holstered on anyone. Most, if not all, operators carried 1911s. If combat is not a "reliability, durability, accuracy" test, I dunno what is.

Shenaniguns
05-12-2009, 7:58 PM
:confused:

Working with CJSOTF, I never saw a Glock holstered on anyone. Most, if not all, operators carried 1911s. If combat is not a "reliability, durability, accuracy" test, I dunno what is.

Well that's awesome of you, do you expect the 60% of the LEO to have highly skilled 1911 gunsmiths in every department as well?

NiteQwill
05-12-2009, 8:19 PM
Well that's awesome of you, do you expect the 60% of the LEO to have highly skilled 1911 gunsmiths in every department as well?

So LEOs who carry Sigs over a department issued 22 need a highly skilled Sig armorer? Stop reaching.

warlock
05-12-2009, 9:19 PM
I do not know anyone that owns 1 gun.You will buy more.Keep what you got .Save and buy the Glock.Keep the 1911 and then you will want a..........

Shenaniguns
05-13-2009, 4:23 AM
So LEOs who carry Sigs over a department issued 22 need a highly skilled Sig armorer? Stop reaching.

Actually, my Dad's department of 2,000+ had so many teething problems switchong to P226 and P229's that if there's a problem with it that an armorer can't fix, then they replace the whole gun.

So if what I'm saying is reaching, go tell that to Vickers, Yam and Hackathorn who say the same thing that 1911's need much more attention to run properly.

Here's a nice article from 10-8 consulting and Hilton Yam:
http://www.10-8consulting.com/article_page.php?articleID=13

"A modern production 1911 typically needs a little gunsmith attention at some point in its life. It is not the same as the GI issue gun that was carefully handcrafted at the Colt factory nearly a century ago. When Colt first started producing the gun way back in the day, they were the only ones making it - their parts, their mags, ammo to their spec. The design has been around for so long that any particular 1911 is now made with parts made to various specs that have wandered away from the original for one reason or another, and is fed with ammo and mags that have similarly changed or evolved. This is the reason why the 1911 does well with tuning by a skilled hand, something that it typically does not receive at the modern factory. The gun also needs proper cleaning and maintenance to reach its full potential. Take care of your 1911 and it will do its job for you like nothing else can. "

Maintenance and Field Checks
"The 1911 was designed in an era when guns were expected to be hand fit at the factory, and some modicum of field maintenance was expected. In the modern era of mass production and interchangeable CNC parts, the 1911 seems a bit of a dinosaur to some. For a dedicated and knowledgeable end user, the 1911 has no equal. For non-dedicated personnel, they are better served by a modern, low maintenance weapon such as a Glock, SIG, or HK. That said, the dedicated user can perform certain checks to ensure maximum performance from the 1911."

Conclusion
"The foregoing was a compilation of techniques and maintenance procedures that I have developed over the years. There are other ways to reassemble and maintain the pistol, but this is what has worked for me. With the proper attention, it is possible for your 1911 to be malfunction free for thousands of rounds. The original military test for the 1911 required 6000 rounds to be fired without malfunction, and I don't feel that this is an unreasonable interval to achieve with a properly maintained modern pistol with good ammunition and magazines."

Be safe,
Hilton

M47_Dragon
05-13-2009, 4:58 AM
Patience is difficult for a 21 year old... and that isn't a knock on your youth, just a fact and most of us have been there - if not about guns, about something else.

Like so many others have said, waiting would be a great idea. Put some rounds through your 1911. Try everything else... THEN go where your heart leads you.

plankowner
05-13-2009, 5:34 AM
I would say if you can save for your glock save, practice with your .45 while you wait and enjoy it , and if possible never sell or trade what you have unless it is really a have to situation because later on you will usually regret it (ask me how I know) because this little hobby of ours gets addicting ,
But after all it is your decision and as M47 Dragon said "Then go where your heart leads you" great advice!

NiteQwill
05-13-2009, 6:16 AM
G34: my sarcasm started with my red text. ;) I'm very familiar with Mr. Yam, I've even shot with him. Cheers

cdtx2001
05-13-2009, 6:26 AM
Keep the 1911 and save up for a Glock.

Z ME FLY
05-13-2009, 6:32 AM
You are lucky that your parents are into guns and are cool enough to pass one down to you. I would keep the 1911 especially if it was from my parents or hell anyone from my family. I like glocks, no safety, just point and pull the trigger and it goes bang. You can throw it against the wall and it will still work after that. Throw it in mud and same thing. With that being said, Glocks can be found almost anytime you want and sometimes you can find a great deal. With the 1911 it holds more of a special value since it is from your folks!

ChrisDM
05-13-2009, 1:51 PM
Keep the 1911, especially if it is a family gift. Those are he ones you regret selling later... You've got the rest of your life to get a Glock.

BTW, I have both and my Glock feels like a toy cap gun next to my badass shiny steel frame 1911. Its the 1911 I keep to show off to my friends. But its the Glock that sits on my nightstand for the incoming zombie raid...

ssaction
05-13-2009, 5:53 PM
If the gun is from a family member, don't sell it! Take it from experience, you will regret selling it...instead treasure it and keep it, it will bring back many memories!

I agree. Keep the 1911.

Pryde
05-13-2009, 6:19 PM

Save your breath man,
Some people are just too emotionally attached to their weapon selection to ever admit shortcomings. Just like the guys who think the military should still be using the M14 over the M16 :rolleyes:

To me a gun is a tool, and imo the Glock is the most efficient tool available to me for the purpose. The 1911 wins on style points and not much else.

7x57
05-13-2009, 6:25 PM
I am going to get a 1911 transfered to me from my family then.

To me this is the deciding factor. Even if that doesn't seem significant now, there's a good chance it will someday.

When you give a pistol to your son, no amount of money in the world can buy the ability to say "this was my first pistol, my dad gave it to me and I think it is time for you to have it."

7x57

chickenfried
05-13-2009, 6:41 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/126074012_1968dc73e6_o.gif
Save your breath man,
Some people are just too emotionally attached to their weapon selection to ever admit shortcomings. ..............

To me a gun is a tool, and imo the Glock is the most efficient tool available to me for the purpose. The 1911 wins on style points and not much else.