PDA

View Full Version : father / son hi cap mag question

slik442
05-10-2009, 8:08 PM
My dad has a browning hi power 9mm with 2 legal 15 round mags - registered before the ban. In the past I have taken it, with my guns, to the range and shot it without him being present. Is that illegal? Am I allowed to transport and posses the gun and mags without him being with me? What happens if he passes the pistol down to me down the road?

Thanks

Sam1
05-10-2009, 8:37 PM
12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:

2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

your dad can't lend them to you and your mags aren't registered there was no registration for magazines before the ban in 2000. you might be able to shoot with them when your dad is there, but not by yourself

tyrist
05-10-2009, 9:09 PM
You cannot legally take the magazines without him being present. If he is at the range with you; your good to use them in his presence since he would still have legal possession and control.

domokun
05-10-2009, 9:44 PM
My dad has a browning hi power 9mm with 2 legal 15 round mags - registered before the ban. In the past I have taken it, with my guns, to the range and shot it without him being present. Is that illegal? Am I allowed to transport and posses the gun and mags without him being with me? What happens if he passes the pistol down to me down the road?

Thanks

As others have said, you cannot legally use those large-capacity magazines without your father around and physically present while you're using them. When you inherit the pistol and if the laws haven't changed by then, you'll can keep the pistol but you'll have to either buy 10 round magazines for it, convert those large capacity magazines into 10 round magazines permanently, or leave the magazines fully disassembled for out of state use.